Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Wheelbase looks too long. Not that good looking to me.

I don't know what you mean.
What is the car your refering to?
Yeah just thought it would look more exotic...

Just thought I would share.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eroc
Yeah just thought it would look more exotic...

Just thought I would share.
It's good PS work, the style just looks a bit off to me.
I bet the C5 trans would work with that wheelbase. Good weight distribution as well.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, it looks like CASALE is the name in V-DRIVEs. Very strong as well. I love that the gears can be easily swapped out. It's like having a quick change rearend, but cheaper.

There's lots of strong transfer cases out there as well. Some are the left hand side like I need. I figure if it came of an 4L80E truck, it can handle my LS1. I wonder what kind of parasitic losses we're going to be looking at?

I like the AWD idea as it would be easy to do. I just wish there was a way to disengage the front wheels instead of the rears. A front wheel drive Trans Am. Man. It would probably freak people out to see it do a front wheel burnout, then switch to AWD and launch like a rocket.

I'm assuming with the AWD setup you would have to run equal height tires front and rear, correct? I swear the Lambo's had shorter front tires, but let me double check that.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned

just do front motor awd.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
just do front motor awd.
That's kind of impossible. Your welcome to do it, though.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing is impossible! lol

But - in regards to your car couldnt you move the seats/dask/firewall forward to give yourself more room for the tranny? Just thinkin - havent really picutred it yet.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dochall22
Nothing is impossible! lol

But - in regards to your car couldnt you move the seats/dask/firewall forward to give yourself more room for the tranny? Just thinkin - havent really picutred it yet.
I can't get the motor high enough if it's up front. That's why I want it on the back. I don't see a reason to move the seats forward. It should fit as is. I think.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

On those 2 photoshopped pics, if you hit the page down button (at elast on my laptop) it makes for a perfect transition between the two. i think it looks great with the tires back further, looks like a Gallardo.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome project, goodluck man!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WSsick
On those 2 photoshopped pics, if you hit the page down button (at elast on my laptop) it makes for a perfect transition between the two. i think it looks great with the tires back further, looks like a Gallardo.
Remember that the back of the car tapers and gets narrower. Moving the axle back part way let's me reshape the fender bulge and still taper it down. If I move the axle all the way back I'm going to have to widen the back of the car. How would I do that?

I can reshape the fenders as I was going to do that anyway. I can widen the filler panel so as to keep the stock tail lights. I don't know about the bumper cover though. I guess it would have to be cut down the middle and maybe have a section from another bumper cover melted in? I guess it's doable, but I'm not really sold on the axle that far back.

I'll think about it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-16-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about no transmission? lol
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

ding ding ding we have a winner jk

I am by no means an expert, but would it be hard to take the "widebody" effect over the axle if it was moved back? I mean like, widen the panels, not just add material, so there is more room. IDK, hard to explain what I mean. I have a mental picture, but ain't that a bitch. Also, a lexan window wouldn't be a bad idea either, esp if you molded it a little more outward and higher so that there would be more room for the engine so it does not need to be mounted so low.

Idk, i am going to think about this. That idea I just had would is probably dumb but I wanna solve this. That'd be a great idea. The AWD would be sweet too, but wayyyyy hard.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

may as well delete this post.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WSsick
I am by no means an expert, but would it be hard to take the "widebody" effect over the axle if it was moved back? I mean like, widen the panels, not just add material, so there is more room. IDK, hard to explain what I mean. I have a mental picture, but ain't that a bitch. Also, a lexan window wouldn't be a bad idea either, esp if you molded it a little more outward and higher so that there would be more room for the engine so it does not need to be mounted so low.

Idk, i am going to think about this. That idea I just had would is probably dumb but I wanna solve this. That'd be a great idea. The AWD would be sweet too, but wayyyyy hard.
The car will be tube framed. No more unibody so I can do what I want. I can just move the new rear fenders wider. I think it might be best to start widening the car at the front of the doors. I have to maintain a smooth flow along the side panels so it can't be drastic.

Lexan sucks for windows. What did you mean by that?

I want the motor low for lower center of gravity. That's all. I can raise it up some if I want thanks to the rear mounting.

What would be so hard about mounting a diff up front in that open space and modifying a couple of halfshafts? It would be pretty easy I think. The only thing hard would be finding hubs that accept the halfshaft on the back side. There are lots of hubs from front wheel drive and AWD cars to choose from.

I'd probably have to forget about running a 345 rear tire, though. With AWD I'd probably be better off running 4 of the 285/30/19 tires similar to what I have now.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-17-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just remembered something, with the engine in the back I can run a cheap supercharger like a Roots 6-71.

That's something to consider later on.

Damn, AWD with 4.11 gears and 285 tires all around combined with all that supercharger torque. That would be a monster off the line, especially in the wet.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-17-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this should be an interesting build. Kind of reminds me of this one...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3277830

Best of luck to you Jason, I really look forward to seeing your progress.

and the Civette...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/730443-newbie-ls1-but-not-your-typical-car.html

Personally I think it is an amazing car, I love it. I don't know what 770Guy has against it.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

The car will be tube framed. No more unibody so I can do what I want. I can just move the new rear fenders wider. I think it might be best to start widening the car at the front of the doors. I have to maintain a smooth flow along the side panels so it can't be drastic.

Lexan sucks for windows. What did you mean by that?

I want the motor low for lower center of gravity. That's all. I can raise it up some if I want thanks to the rear mounting.

What would be so hard about mounting a diff up front in that open space and modifying a couple of halfshafts? It would be pretty easy I think. The only thing hard would be finding hubs that accept the halfshaft on the back side. There are lots of hubs from front wheel drive and AWD cars to choose from.

I'd probably have to forget about running a 345 rear tire, though. With AWD I'd probably be better off running 4 of the 285/30/19 tires similar to what I have now.
Sorry, didn't see the tubed frame earlier in the thread. My reading skills = fail.

The lexan idea was just so if somehow the motor didn't have enough room under the hatch glass, that you could reform it with lexan so A.) lower weight and B.) formed so the engine fits nicely. But what I meant was for the lexan to be like a backup if for some reason it wouldn't fit under the hatch. I think it should & will. I know that it def. needs to be low since thats great for the center of gravity, esp. if you took this thing to a road course. Weight distribution would be fine though, if you shorted it in the front like in the pic.

EDIT: I just remembered you'd also need to fab up an intake system, some ducts cahnneling from the sides of the car, maybe even one on the hood. Look up a Gemballa Mirage GT and it has a great example (just a modded Carrera GT, if you really even need that)

Sorry, it was late when I posted before so I don't really know what was going through my head lol.

Last edited by WSsick; 10-17-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

I just remembered something, with the engine in the back I can run a cheap supercharger like a Roots 6-71.

That's something to consider later on.

Damn, AWD with 4.11 gears and 285 tires all around combined with all that supercharger torque. That would be a monster off the line, especially in the wet.
now that would really be a beast. Would you still be sticking with the mid/rear engine setup if you went AWD? Torque galore. Those STi/Evo guys would have to keep braggin on their great AWD launches!

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
Now this should be an interesting build. Kind of reminds me of this one...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3277830

Best of luck to you Jason, I really look forward to seeing your progress.

and the Civette...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730443

Personally I think it is an amazing car, I love it. I don't know what 770Guy has against it.
thats alot different. the golf or whatever r32, has a tiny engine when compared to an ls1. that thing didn't take up much room, and that car has less interior room than a t/a.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the idea ! its something i thought about doing myself..if nots gonna be easy but good luck .
Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's what I've been thinking. I would mount the transfer case just behind the front axle centerline. I would connect it to the trans with a short, strong driveshaft. I could then couple the 8.8 diff directly to the transfer case and centered left to right. That way I could run the the halfshafts to the front hubs. The transfer case will have it's rear output on the passenger side.

Keep in mind the engine, trans, driveshaft and transfer case can be lined up straight. Then the transfer case can be rotated so that it's rear facing driveshaft (small diameter) is as low as possible. It's going to have to go under the passenger seat. So that seat may have to be a bit higher and leaned back more. Luckily I don't usually carry passengers. I may need to make the rear driveshaft a 2 piece unit to keep it low until past the seat and then have it tilt up and towards the rear diff. That should work. Here's a pic:

Name:  IMG_2971midengine5.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  75.8 KB

The other issue is how to cool the transfer case. I was looking at the NP205 as it's a gear drive instead of chain and is considered to be the strongest out there.

I think the perfect part would be a combo of transfer case and V drive. I don't need the complexity of the V shape. Regular straight gears would work. If I flipped the front diff upside down it will turn the right way, but I'd be using the coast side of the gears for power. I don't know if it would last like that.

I just need to put on my thinking cap. I think a 3 gear setup would work. Left gear would be from trans. Middle gear would spin in reverse direction so it's output needs to go to the front diff. Then I wouldn't need to flip it upside down. Then the 3rd gear would be turning the same as the first gear and would run to the rear diff. Now all I need is a dog clutch setup to engage the front output.

Something like this:
Name:  transferCase2.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  49.0 KB

Quick Reply: Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice