Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twisted636
how much power will you lose tho in the rear cause i mean its gonna have to go threw alot before it gets to the rear wheels. and what are you gonna do about the fact that the engine is right behind the drivers seat? would u enclose the front two seats some how?
I don't know how much power will be lost. Not enough for me to worry about.

My god man, have you never seen a mid engine car before? It's called a firewall for a reason.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dochall22
I got an idea - ... Yank the rear, the tranny, and the motor - and just drop a FWD v8 setup in the rear and all you'll have to do is figure out your shifting setup.

Or, get a 1600cc VW engine!
I already talked about doing that. The transmission choices are pretty weak, not to mention mostly automatics. Do you know of any FWD V8 manual transmissions?

Using the transfer case would probably cause the same parasitic losses as using an auto trans. Plus I have a habit of breaking autos. 4 in my last car. They were 200R4's and 700R4's. The newer 6 speed auto's interest me, but I'd probably just break it.

The shift linkage will be mechanical if they are close enough. If they are far apart, I'll do a cable linkage like most cars use in the same situation.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-18-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99345hp
in that picture you are going to be going in reverse in first through 6th gear. Reverse will get you going in the right direction. If you flip the diff, then you will be powering on the coast side of the gears, so i dont know if that would work or not.
Like I said earlier (post #60), it will work, but probably not last long. Some axles have reverse cut gears available. The Ford 9" for example. The front diff from a truck with independant front suspension should work. Such as the GM's.

If I make a 3 gear tranfer case like I showed in post #60 then the middle gear will be rotating the opposite direction and the rear axle will be fine as is.

Reread post 60, you can't just look at the pictures.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-18-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idea = Fail.

New topic.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pictures with all the drive shafts drawn in with the motor backwards is the worst idea I have even seen...... The only way that makes any sense is using a transaxle..... Mendeola..... Albins......Fortin... XTRAC....It will be way cheaper and be ten thousand times more practical... getting a potpori of mixed limited capability OE crap wont get you anywhere...The only way to do anything like you want would be to build a chassis then hang a Firebird body on it..... EDIT..... post 60 is the worst idea.....
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

It may seem complicated, but all AWD setups can be complicated.

This is the same engine/trans layout as the Lamborghini Countach.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think with all this discussion, your best bet is going to either be using the G6 6speed front wheel drive tranny and mount the engine sideways, or spend the money to get an actual mid engine transaxle.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It may seem complicated, but all AWD setups can be complicated.

This is the same engine/trans layout as the Lamborghini Countach.
so lambo's are built on budgets too huh? Maybe they are expensive for a reason. Nice idea, but think of another way to make your "lowest t/a eva"!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think with all this discussion, your best bet is going to either be using the G6 6speed front wheel drive tranny and mount the engine sideways, or spend the money to get an actual mid engine transaxle.
If I can't do a mid engine setup in a manner I like, I'll leave the engine up front. Simple as that.
Originally Posted by dochall22
so lambo's are built on budgets too huh? Maybe they are expensive for a reason.
WTF does that mean?

The Countach, Diablo and Mercielago as well as the Bugatti Veyron all use this layout. Maybe you guys need to open your minds a little more.

The big difference between them and me is I can't build my own transmission design. They put their "transfer case" behind the passenger seat. The only way I can see to do it, is for me to mount mine further forward in front of the passengers feet. It makes for a longer driveshaft to the rear axle, but I don't see that as much of a problem.

I suppose I could mount it under their knees, but it may be too uncomfortable.
Attached Thumbnails Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice-lamborghini_countach_draw.jpg   Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice-lamborghinimurcielagoinsides1.jpg   Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice-veyron-b.jpg   Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice-cutaway_lamborghini_diablo.jpg  

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-19-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not going to be a budget build. Your going to have more into this than you think. The photoshop pics look awesome, but I think it's alot more work than you think.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

The inside doesn't have to be show quality, nor do I have a deadline. So cheer up man. This is just for fun. Cars are a hobby. Have some fun with them.

Even if it's no faster than a stock F-body, it will still be cool.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will be cool, and I think you will have quiet a bit of money in it once you are done. I think you should be able to complete everything (depending on the amount of labor you do yourself) for around 20k.

If thats the layout you want, then go for it. There are a couple drawbacks to your design though. The three gear transfer case will end up turning the driveshaft in the same direction as it started. It would have to be 2 or 4 gears to get it to turn the opposite. I think the biggest hump is going to be designing a shifter that will work with the transmission facing the other direction. Do you have any ideas on that yet? Right off the top of my head I cant think of a way, but let me ponder on it a little bit.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

It will be cool, and I think you will have quiet a bit of money in it once you are done. I think you should be able to complete everything (depending on the amount of labor you do yourself) for around 20k.

If thats the layout you want, then go for it. There are a couple drawbacks to your design though. The three gear transfer case will end up turning the driveshaft in the same direction as it started. It would have to be 2 or 4 gears to get it to turn the opposite. I think the biggest hump is going to be designing a shifter that will work with the transmission facing the other direction. Do you have any ideas on that yet? Right off the top of my head I cant think of a way, but let me ponder on it a little bit.
You say I need either 2 or 4 gears in the transfer case? My 3 gear idea DOES have have 2 gears, plus an extra! . With 3 gears I can have clockwise and counter clockwise going to the front and rear at the same time. Trust me, I'm covered on that.

The shifter is no big deal. I need to figure out the layout and which trans I need to use. Then I can do a mechanical linkage like the vette or a cable linkage like the fiero. I'm more focused on the big parts right now.

The most expensive single item in this build may be a custom transfer case. It really is the key to making this project work.

I'm getting in contact with V8 Archie and see how strong these g6 units are. I'm sure they've investigated all possible transmissions and may have some advice for me. They've done over 400 V8 swaps onto fieros including LS1's and 2's so they should have a good idea how strong they are.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-20-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

When i saw you post about this tranny the first time, I was thinking this was the best design to use. I would think that if they can back up a LS2 then they should be alright behind a ls1. I would think if you can keep wheel hop and traction down you should be alright.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Are you proficiant in Pro E?
Do you have unlimited machining budget? (a budget in general???)
AWD/ mid engine?

FAIL!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
AWD/ mid engine?

FAIL!

I dont see why you say this? What is Pro E?
I dont think its going to take an unlimited machining budget.

What are you asking with your last question?

I dont think it's a fail, he hasn't even started the project yet, and he is just getting ideas thrown around about how to do this.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
AWD/ mid engine?

FAIL!
I'm not going to answer people who obviously didn't read the thread.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Pro E= Pro Engineering CAD software. Similar to AutoCad or Solid Works

Your going to need a machine shop, a damn good fabricator, and an endless budget, if your not going to be buying parts. We all want you to succeed. But it really is not feasible without the resources.

Last edited by yamablaster024; 10-21-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

So your saying the greastest car customizer of all time, George Barris, just got lucky with all his builds?

Sorry dude, but you sound like you don't know what your talking about.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mods - Close this thread before it gets ugly.

Quick Reply: Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice