Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Main bearing clearance questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 10:25 PM
Teching In

If you're on a budget, why listen to someone telling you to upgrade where an upgrade isn't needed?

Guys you have to realize the reason ddnspider is getting so worked up is because people here ask for advice, and given the reputation of good advice on this board, when someone tells them to upgrade a part, unless they've done their reading, they might just do it. So, telling someone to upgrade a part that does NOT need to be upgraded is just costing that person's dollars. Nothing out of your pocket, as all it took was an internet post, but a lot out of theirs. The bottom line is that the stock crank will hold more than enough for the power levels the OP is planning to reach, so there is no need to upgrade to aftermarket. Would it be better? In my opinion, no, it's just upgrading for the sake of upgrading and saying it's aftermarket. However, if you were gonna keep the same crank for a future motor that you were planning on making way over 4 digits of power, by all means, aftermarket that bitch up. But truly, the chances of that happening are usually slim to none.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

i wish u lived near NC that way we could pair em up and see who done the most homework...
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:30 PM
Teching In

According to the trap speed of your N/A run, ddnspider has done more homework...
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Perhaps the frigady frigin snails on his car might have a bit to do with the trap speeds. Wow. Some people are amazing!
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:35 PM
Teching In

I never said they didn't good sir, also depends on dead hooking vs. tire spin off the line. Tire spin equates to higher mph's. However, his post was retarded so i replied with a retarded post to keep it on the same level.

And i'm pretty sure it's snail singular, not snailS plural.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:37 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht97ws6ta
Perhaps the frigady frigin snails on his car might have a bit to do with the trap speeds. Wow. Some people are amazing!
awwwwww.........afraid of the itty bitty hairdryer

and if u want homework.....how about MY buddy,who ALSO happens to have a sticky on this forum......made 698rwhp on a stock bottom end for a couple years.U 2 ladies are hilarious.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mark_fox
I never said they didn't good sir, also depends on dead hooking vs. tire spin off the line. Tire spin equates to higher mph's. However, his post was retarded so i replied with a retarded post to keep it on the same level.

And i'm pretty sure it's snail singular, not snailS plural.
Ah ok. Regardless your comparing a turboed 383 to a N/A 383. Thats a no brainer.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:40 PM
Teching In

I agree, most times it would SEEM like a no brainer but it would depend on the setup. If a car was made straight for drag racing with an NA high compression 383, ddns turbo car might be owned at the track. It would just depend on the situation and setup and what not.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:41 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Ah ok. Regardless your comparing a turboed 383 to a N/A 383. Thats a no brainer.
Then maybe he shouldnt run his mouth simply because he's built something.FL is known for high hp cars running around town and 1500hp cars racing on the street.Just because you or him, doesnt think something is possible or isnt doing it,doesnt mean its not being done....reliably too.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

no sir, im pretty sure i could drag your a** all the way down the 1320. i dont race in the street, thats for guys that get their feelings hurt at the track.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:44 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CodeRed2000SS
no sir, im pretty sure i could drag your a** all the way down the 1320. i dont race in the street, thats for guys that get their feelings hurt at the track.
u have it backwards......you only race at the track cause you dont have the ***** to run on the street.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow this has become a pissing contest. I said it before and here it is again. "To each his own". Run what you want.
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:49 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I said it before and here it is again. "To each his own". Run what you want.
actually thats not waht you said
Originally Posted by wht97ws6ta View Post
Im going to start off by recomending that you go to forged crank for the power level you will be making with 15 PSI. May cost more now, but will save you money in the long run. Cast cranks werent intended for the torque you will be making with that setup.

mods i apologize for the back and forth.I dont want to take a vacation
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:56 PM
9 Second Club

that has nothing to do with what he said.. but anyway im done with this thread, u win ddnspider, you get the grand prize!!!!!

nothin.....
Old 01-19-2009 | 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ddnspider
actually thats not waht you said

mods i apologize for the back and forth.I dont want to take a vacation
That was a recomendation. What does that have anything to do with me sayin to each his own. I didnt tell him to go get a forged crank, i just recomended it.
Old 01-20-2009 | 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

wow this thread is full of hillarity.. DDNSPIDER at no point said that a forged crank wasn't better than stock.. LOL he was stating that for what the OP wanted it would be unnecessary money spent..

now you guys can take your i've done more research crap and throw it in the garbage.. you knock on how JOE BLOWS car made xxx on the interweb but its on its last legs i've done my research but then you quote research you got off of the internet..

lets take the research and kick it in the trash

I have personally made over 740 ftlbs of torque on the stock crank hell entirely stock bottom end in my own personal car.. i have personally had my hands on numerous other cars that have made well north of 700 ft lbs of torque on a stock crank.. MY personal truck went north of 550 ftlbs on a stock crank

so take your "research" and stick it right where the sun doesn't shine please.. I've learned with hands on knowledge.. if i tell you a parts weak its cause i've broke it my damn self and had to pay out of my own pocket and turn the wrench myself to fix the damn thing.. and unless the OP is running a damn F3r at 15lbs you recommending him to buy a forged rank is about as smart as my 1 year old neice trying to shove the square block in the round hole..

i've been doing this for far to long threads like this are why i quit trying to give good onfo on this board.. cause you'll chase your tail for hours and hours over the same useless BS..

WHite 97 you seem as though you have a decent amount of knowledge.. so heres my recomendation to you.. shut your trap.. continue on your quest for thousands of hours of internet research and learn something.. you are attacking a guy in ddnspider who has a forced induction car that has run for YEARS now with no maintnance.. thats unheard of.. and he built it on a budget.. THATS doing your damn research..

when you've done it your self feel free to post your EXPERIENCE thats what makes great information.. when you've read about it on the internet.. don;t repeat it.. you just took the blame for someone else's ignorance

Mike

Last edited by blacktransam; 01-20-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: missspell
Old 01-22-2009 | 06:57 AM
Restricted User

I don't think I have ever read about a stock LS1 crank ever breaking... People going 9's on stock bottom ends. It is a pretty stout piece. I don't see very many people replacing their crank if they are not increasing their stroke.
Old 01-22-2009 | 08:04 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009 | 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

well blacktransam i never said u could not run 700+ hp on a stock crank. we simply beleive that goin forged gives a little insuranse on the durability of the engine. but if u want to run on the raged edge of destuction, go right ahead. its your money. i beleive that if u do things right the FIRST time, you will have no comebacks. my car runs around 700 hp. too but im runing N20. so dont brag about what you have done. Many other people on this site have done the same thing.

and to you ddnspider, you obviously do not have enough knowledge to back yourself up in these situations, therefore im pretty sure you have not turned many wrenches on your own car. You just sit quietly until someone a little bit smarter backs you up.
Old 01-22-2009 | 03:59 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Your a hilarious little troll you know that.Whose cars been on the cover of a book?who has stickys on this site?Who will be in a magazine soon?You should be banned just for your stupidity.How about this, do a search on this site and find me 1/2 a dozen cars whove broken the stock LS1 car crankshaft specifically due to a crankshaft failure.Dont go posting crap like the balancer bolt wasnt on tight enough or the bearings wore/spun due to debree in the engine or other stupid stuff.Link threads that honestly show the ls1 crankshaft snapping in 2 or breaking, THEN you have a leg to stand on(albeit a peg leg).

Quick Reply: Main bearing clearance questions?