Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

How bad for the environment is a car without a catalytic converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems there’s a lot of misinformation here. Cats or no cats have no effect on Global Warming (regardless of weather or not it exists). They do nothing to reduce greenhouse gases – I.E. the gases that contribute to so called global warming.

Cats do however clean up other known pollutants – unburned hydrocarbons (cause smog), Nitrogen Oxides (acid rain) and Carbon monoxide (poisonous gas)
Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to use cats and the charcoal canister, but ditch the AIR/smog pump system. I am not too worried about the small loss in HP, and prefer the smell of a car with cats. I will try to put the cats close to the manifolds to help them light off more quickly.

In VA, I will be exempt from emissions testing for registration purposes, however the enforcement officer from the Department of Environmental Quality told me that they set up tests with some sort of sniffer on exhaust ramps that gets readings as cars drive by. If you are a "gross poluter" and your car was built after 1968, they will bust you.
I have heard arguments on smog vs. greenhouse gasses with and without converters, and just wanted to see how everyone weighed in.

Thanks for the help!
Any real proof of this? Sounds like B.S.!!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Global warming is a scam. The taxes in this country are going to eat you alive over the next 25 years. The GW scam will just add to it. Don't even think about getting ahead. Those days are pretty much gone.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Holy ****... how is this even a post? Especially with a car that will not legally require anything in a few months. Guys worried about cops impounding their car because they took smog devices off... guys worried about cops and some mystery smog sniffing device that can tell what they had for breakfast from their farts as they drive by.... guys worried about what their wives think about anything having to do with their car, period. Wow.... what is it all coming to?

sidebar: man made global warming is a myth started and furthered by the liberal establishment in order to accomplish in a few years what the environmentalists could not get done in decades. Its no accident that all of the goals of the global warming people line up with the goals of the former environmentalist wackos... they are the same people, just switched tactics. Temps fluctuate people, men are like ants, and im gonna go and "pollute" like hell tonight.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Amen brother!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Double amen bros. Global warming is 100% scam.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smurray
Easy there buddy... im not looking to start an argument or anything but global warming is far from a myth. Your explanation shows how little you really understand. Again not trying to be standoffish but you shouldnt spread false information.
and your statement shows how little you understand about statistics and the fact that there is absolutely no way we have enough data about the current weather "change" to decide if there's a pattern or not.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wheels_78
and your statement shows how little you understand about statistics and the fact that there is absolutely no way we have enough data about the current weather "change" to decide if there's a pattern or not.
The game is over pal. The jig is up. GW didn't fool anybody with a brain.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is almost a year old......
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, it wasn't worthy of Advanced Tech then...

Quick Reply: How bad for the environment is a car without a catalytic converter?