Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Forced Induction and lifting heads.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1) Precision head surface
2) Precision block surface

Seen a couple blocks "push coolant" they all have leaked/pushed coolant where the mating surfaces were not perfect.

My LSx showed signs of pushing coolant when we pulled the heads off, after we put it in the CNC and decked it, it was apparent that it was due to a very very slight low spot.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette

Seen a couple blocks "push coolant" they all have leaked/pushed coolant where the mating surfaces were not perfect.

My LSx showed signs of pushing coolant when we pulled the heads off, after we put it in the CNC and decked it, it was apparent that it was due to a very very slight low spot.
I have read your build but what gasket are you using? Off subject // I think your build was won to show people that if you want it bad you can do it yourself and be one of the bad boys on the block . I have great respect for guys that build there own car from the ground up. I build cars and know how long it takes to get it right.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Launching!

I like where this thread is going. So with a properly decked block and heads and high quality studs and gaskets, would making 800-1000whp be challenging at keeping the heads down/pushing coolant? (provided a stout 4-bolt LS engine was built)
Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

the problem with internet engineers is that many of them havent done what they are talking about.... there is a thread here thats about 2 weeks old https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...6-0-lit-2.html
where the guy makes 1360 Hp on an engine dyno on a used 6.0L block/head engine with pyramid rings...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_454
the problem with internet engineers is that many of them havent done what they are talking about.... there is a thread here thats about 2 weeks old https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...6-0-lit-2.html
where the guy makes 1360 Hp on an engine dyno on a used 6.0L block/head engine with pyramid rings...
Dam you beat me to it! lol

Here is that guys other thread..https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lbs-today.html

Chris.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll second that...My LS2 had a little bit of carbon tracking on cylinders 3&4 on the thrust side of the block. No cylinder-to cylinder cross-talk whatsoever. Had the heads "lifted" there would've been more evidence other than one spot on each gasket IMHO.

Like Phil, my block showed that the block deck was a smidge low right where it had leakage.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

I've even seen guys clean a deck surface during a head swap with a scotch brite pad...sometimes in their hand, sometimes on a wheel. You can VERY VERY quickly wind up with a deck that isn't flat when you do that...removing a little bit of iron or aluminum, even by hand, is not hard to do.

PaulC, I think if you're very careful with who you have machining your block as well as your head decks, and you run a high quality gasket and high quality fasteners for the heads, you shouldn't have an issue. Talk to the gasket manufacturer about the Ra requirements for the block and heads when running their gasket, make sure they understand what you're building, find a means to measure it after it's cut to ensure it's done properly...after that, I think your power goals are within reach with the parts you want to use...the fact that you cared enough to ask and read all the responses means (to me) that you're going to pay enough attention to detail to get it right.

You will also want to make sure the mating surfaces are deburred properly (by the CNC) after they're decked...a very very very minor burr can cause a serious sealing issue as well.

the problem with internet engineers is that many of them havent done what they are talking about...
This sounds like a dig at me...some of us "internet engineers" are in fact real engineers who DO have the experience to back up what we post.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 03-03-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fireball
I'll second that...My LS2 had a little bit of carbon tracking on cylinders 3&4 on the thrust side of the block. No cylinder-to cylinder cross-talk whatsoever. Had the heads "lifted" there would've been more evidence other than one spot on each gasket IMHO.

Like Phil, my block showed that the block deck was a smidge low right where it had leakage.
I'm honestly curious...how low is a smidge? Less than 0.0005"? What did you measure it with?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I'm honestly curious...how low is a smidge? Less than 0.0005"? What did you measure it with?
have to ask shawn @ va speed.

All I know is he noted irregularities in the surface as he decked it. depth would be based on how much he had to take off to remove the irregularity...

wasn't alot IIRC
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Launching!

My first post had a link to Camaroandreas's build, but now that I think about it...I dont believe that the pyramid ring technique would keep heads down. I believe that the rings would only keep headgaskets from blowing. Bigger or more head studs will keep the heads down. Guess I should have clarified.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with you, but what really matters is holding the gasket properly right? That said, I think those pyramid rings are probably a great benefit...but I also like to think of a head gasket as a fuse...granted when you're looking for huge power numbers, you need a big fuse that doesn't want to blow easily.

If your gaskets can hold without something like that, then I prefer to stay away from it...if it's just flat out too much pressure no matter what and you need something like that too, thats a different story. I prefer to pay attention to every detail along the way (flatness, surface finish, squareness...) rather than not be as careful with those things and go for some new hot trick instead...if my way doesn't blow a head gasket, and the pyramid ring setup doesn't either...they both achieved the same goal.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

This sounds like a dig at me...some of us "internet engineers" are in fact real engineers who DO have the experience to back up what we post.
cool thay makes us colleagues
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

If the heads move around too much(they allways do to some extent) they put a shear(bending) stress on the head bolts&studs and when they do that the fasteners go over there yield point and loose clamping force and stretch.The dowel pins must fit as tight as possible to locate them properly in the first place

I think of it in this way:
Why have a gasket to take all the pressure and heat of a FI when you can have the sleeves up above the deck of the block to go into the cyllender heads deck that have been cut with a recever groove and make a barrier for the heat and pressure with the sleeve

Gaskets shouldent be a problem,cometic,copper or carbon fiber
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by pmbmax
I have read your build but what gasket are you using? Off subject // I think your build was won to show people that if you want it bad you can do it yourself and be one of the bad boys on the block . I have great respect for guys that build there own car from the ground up. I build cars and know how long it takes to get it right.
We were running a Cometic gasket with a copper o-ring. Our goal is to make around 300hp per cylinder. Thanks for the positive words!

My setup showed signs of leaking into the water passages in 2 maybe 3 spots, when the block was decked on the CNC it showed very slight low spots ONLY in the areas it was leaking. The leaking was very minimal.

We're running 4 1/2" && 2 3/8" studs per cylinder, .800 deck head, CNC'd deck on block and head, o-rings on each cylinder, and hopefully 40# of boost.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Phil, I wish I lived closer, I'd love to see that run down the track when it's done.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Oh boy, 6-bolt heads and an o-ringed block and you're still pushing water, what is there left to do? Weld the heads down? (joke) Of course you're running incredibly high pressures and making more power than most of us need.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by PaulC
Oh boy, 6-bolt heads and an o-ringed block and you're still pushing water, what is there left to do? Weld the heads down? (joke) Of course you're running incredibly high pressures and making more power than most of us need.
I wouldn't say pushing water but we noticed some slight leakage. Our previous Deck was not perfect and o-ring had inconsistent heights. It will be machined right this time.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM
7 Second Club

Phil, I wish I lived closer, I'd love to see that run down the track when it's done.
From the people that have seen it, when they see it leave they all say its a 9 second car. Once it gets 200' out its starts getting exciting. I'm hoping the suspension changes will get our 60' down into the 1.19-1.22 range.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM
8 Second Club

From the people that have seen it, when they see it leave they all say its a 9 second car. Once it gets 200' out its starts getting exciting. I'm hoping the suspension changes will get our 60' down into the 1.19-1.22 range.
Turbos are funny my car runs low 8s and high 170s and i have heard people in the videos say somthing must be wrong it didnt leave and then the same guys say holy **** how did it do that. I get a kick out of it.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pmbmax
Turbos are funny my car runs low 8s and high 170s and i have heard people in the videos say somthing must be wrong it didnt leave and then the same guys say holy **** how did it do that. I get a kick out of it.
Same here

Quick Reply: Forced Induction and lifting heads.