Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Can a SSRA "choke" a H/C car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can a SSRA "choke" a H/C car?

Can an aggressive H/C setup, (600+ lift) actually need more air than the SSRA 1" opening before the filter can provide?

I have my SLP airlid completely sealed up to the SSRA. So the only air that my engine is getting is from the SSRA scoop. Now I know that the cooler temp of the air should help, and I read chrs1313's post about his findings on his home made ram air. He concluding a .2psi capability at 100mph. But his opening is much larger than the SSRA's opening.

Should I ditch the SSRA and just use the free mod with no seal on the front of the lid?

mods: Darts 205's, 24x-24x, 6xx" 6xx" 114 lsa cam, stock TB, LS6 intake, SLP lid and 85mm maf, full exhaust.
edit: I plan to add a 92/92 pretty soon.

Last edited by SunsetOrangeZ; 04-26-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my guess, but your stock tb is probably just as much, if not more, of a restriction.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Just my guess, but your stock tb is probably just as much, if not more, of a restriction.
Edited it. Yeah, I know that the stock tb hurts me too. I am getting a 92/92 hopefully soon.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long is the cut in the lower airbox?? i'd still be willing to bet that a 92mm tb has less surface area when at wot than the lower airbox. I'd think the dimensions of the ssra, if similar to my slp ram air thing that the previous owner installed, are like 2x10 (ie the size of the hole in the lower airbox).

Figure that this is 20 square inches of surface area.

92mm is 3.62 inches.

Surface area of a circle is pi times radius squared.

3.14 X 1.81^2 = 10.2in

I'd say that the 92mm TB is still probably more restrictive, and the 85mm maf would be even more so.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am no expert in this specific field, but I did read a very informative thread regarding the ssra where the member did back to back 1/4 mile runs on a more or less stock car. His main reason for doing the testing was to show the sealing of the complete system (such as you mentioned you had) as oppose to letting the car grab air from both spots.

His test data showed that it is of benefit to allow the car to breath on both ends, so therefore I would think of removing the seal esp. on a heads/cam car.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
I am no expert in this specific field, but I did read a very informative thread regarding the ssra where the member did back to back 1/4 mile runs on a more or less stock car. His main reason for doing the testing was to show the sealing of the complete system (such as you mentioned you had) as oppose to letting the car grab air from both spots.

His test data showed that it is of benefit to allow the car to breath on both ends, so therefore I would think of removing the seal esp. on a heads/cam car.
I read that post too and the results were not definitive…I would not go by that as a basis…

As for the head cam air not having enough air from a SSRA, the easiest way to check is to use a manometer like I did inside the air lid and go WOT…if the pressure is positive which I believe it will be even with the smaller opening you are getting more than enough air…I would then test the pressure with the front seal out and the ssra in place, if the pressure is higher than that is a better option…

The best thing to do is compare the 2 with pressure, track results can be used too just more variables…

FYI even doing like 20mph I had a positive pressure in my lid…so I had plenty of excess air…

Just using the lid and stock front slit I had 6” h20 vacuum not pressure…I say seal the ssra and leave it the way you have it now…
Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the imput guys.

Mathematically speaking, it does make sense for me to keep the SSRA on, so that is what I plan to do. The Area of the SSRA came out to be nearly double the area of my 85mm MAF. So I would imagine with the aid of the wind velocity that it can only help get the air into the motor.

Thanks again,

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Can a SSRA "choke" a H/C car?