Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Intake Manifold for Centri blower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work!!! curious to see how it works awell!
what ever happened to the guy(GPCC?) converting & modifying those HSR intakes for LTx's? I know he got banned for some reason but has anyone tried one of those?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what ever happened to the guy(GPCC?) converting & modifying those HSR intakes for LTx's? I know he got banned for some reason but has anyone tried one of those?
I have a good friend who had a converted HSR before GPCC ever started modding them. Good intake from what I have seen. With any intake though, it just needs to be matched with the right RPM range of the motor IMO. Thats when runner length, plenum volume, and cross section come into play.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

This is a totally different engine, but it should apply universally.

Theirs a page in "Building 4.6/5.4L Ford Horsepower on the Dyno" where they compared running different intakes on a Vortech supercharged 03 cobra motor. They tested the Vortech intake, which is basically a hat on the lower section of the factory supercharger manifold; and also tested the Vortech with a 2001 cobra intake (runner length way longer).

The longer runner 01 intake crushed the Vortech/factory lower intake, from 3,500 - 6,500(redline). It was a steady gain, the short runner never even closed the gap up top. The 01 cobra intake made 74hp and 70ft-lbs over the Vortech/factory lower intake. This was a 815hp engine btw (with 01 intake), at 15psi.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Great craftsmanship!! Subscribed.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

David_viny interesting info, I wonder what the difference in plenum and csa was?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

On A FI application this is not really needed as the blower keeps the plenum full.

This however would be a good NA intake, where plenum volume is more critical.

I would have put a vic/super vic on it with a 4 hole, a hat and called it a day.

I would love to see that intake on a 396 NA engine though.

Send that thing to Larry at Speed inc and let him play with it on his car. SInce he already has numbers on his car.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Test fitted the intake yesterday, fits great
I have 2 more weeks of school and I'm done for a month. Plan on finishing the EFI connection LSX PCM, along with this intake and hopefully tuned.

I know I am a tease, but the intake looks killer on this LTX, think I am going to paint it black along with the fuel rails.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Tease.

I want to see some pictures of the finished product. Post pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Very nice man... you have very similar plans to my engine. Finishin up school also but still working on it.

I am running a vortech T-Trim (1200CFM) will probably be upgraded when the cash permits. I am maxing this thing out on my LT1 and am finishing up the LSx PCM swap now Mike Noonan is a great guy.

Anyway I am just opening up my runners and larger TB to reduce the mach number as much as possible. I think this will be the issue since high PR's will cause alot more airflow leading to restrictions in the runners. I mean thats what boost is right restrictions that cause an increase in PR's. A very efficient engine with little to no restrictions would see little to no boost with our blowers.

I would tend to bellmouth or radius all of the runners instead of making a sharp edge. You want to radius them because of flow separation IMO. Also IMO turbulence really isn't important considering all airflow throughout this engine will be turbulent flow, or any engine for that matter.

Interested in what you see. The intake runner length isn't as important but it still has an effect. The pressure waves traveling back to the intake valve will still add some power but it won't be as dominate as in a NA motor. Now if you really want power you would match your exhaust length so that the tuning wave of the exhaust meets the intake wave in the port and they reach the intake valve at the same time in your optimum RPM range. Not many people tune exhausts though and they just do intakes. I would focus on some exhaust work too because anyway you can lower pressure and increase scavenging will benefit you just as the intake.

I am actually doing some modeling in GTpower right now to see what would be the best to change or enhance on my motor. I am using an L31 model with modified heads to flow the AI 205 cc runner numbers, since I have LE2 and believe them similar. I am taking all the intake data and correctly modeling plenum volume and intake runner lenght although I do not have the affective flow areas. I am also opening the TB up to TPIS's 1200 cfm 58 mm twin blade. Headers are Dyantech 1 3/4 with 3 in collector. I will be using a comp cam custom blower grind, I am trying to get cam data to correctly model lift patterns, once this is done I can dial in my base model off of my dyno run at 3 psi then we should be getting some real data. If you have some more information on runner volumes and flow areas or anything it would help my modeling and when done I could run your intake on it to do a back to back comparision. I will be basing my base intake modeling off of my power numbers.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

updates??
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Subscribing...
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the tops of the injectors are tipped away from center?
Mine did not like that.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

+1 on Awesome craftsmanship..you should name that peice "frankinstein"

i'll be running this piece on my centrifugal setup!!!

keep us posted on results
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
Runner length, again, is less important with F.I. Simply put, when the manifold is pressurized, it will be forced to gulp down as much air as it can, not having to pull it in.
I tend to disagree... air is moved due to pressure differentials. FI just has a higher pressure differential than NA.

As for runner length, helmholtz resonant pulses are microscopically affected by the media pressure (basically pressure pulses travel at around the speed of sound in air)

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold for Centri blower?