Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Intake manifold modifications/ runner length?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake manifold modifications/ runner length?

The aluminum weiland a porfessional pr. intakes have a removeable bottom cover....would one gain or lose power if they could go in the and lengthen or shorten the runners? In my mind I was think if I could lengthen each runner I would gain power down low-mid range...would I be correct in thinking this? Im still a major newbie but am a fantastic tig welder and have worked with aluminum exclusivelly the last 15 years, If one had the ability to modify the inside of one of these intakes...what would theorietically be the optimum thing to do for increased performance over out of the box performance. Or should i leave the guts of it alone and open.smooth the tb opening and the intake to head ports?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

If this is in the wrong section I apologize...I was a little torn on where it belongs. If I need to move it, please direct me to the correct spot.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont everyone chime in at once
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zaner
The aluminum weiland a porfessional pr. intakes have a removeable bottom cover....would one gain or lose power if they could go in the and lengthen or shorten the runners? In my mind I was think if I could lengthen each runner I would gain power down low-mid range...would I be correct in thinking this? Im still a major newbie but am a fantastic tig welder and have worked with aluminum exclusivelly the last 15 years, If one had the ability to modify the inside of one of these intakes...what would theorietically be the optimum thing to do for increased performance over out of the box performance. Or should i leave the guts of it alone and open.smooth the tb opening and the intake to head ports?
typically, longer/narrower primaries/runners shift the powerband to the bottom end. It all depends on where you want your power really...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Most manifolds are already designed with a general "Tuned Intake Tract Length" that can work on most combinations. They spent tons of $$$ on design, dyno time, and track testing to figure it all out before it hits the market. Probably better time spent elsewhere in your case.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

you might notice some bottom end power but you might also offbalance the air flow to a cylinder then you have ruined the intake i would leave the intake runners alone unless your just gonna port and polish em and then port and polish the heads to match same for the throttle body
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanx for everyones advice and outlook on the subject....
Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I'd agree with the others, don't mess with it.

That being said, what's the best way to learn? Go do it!!! If you've got a spare intake, the time, and the ability, go try it and see what you find out. You can read forums all day long, but when you actually do it, and feel the results first hand, there's something to be said for that.

Now, let me really challenge you, make a constantly variable runner length intake. So the runner lengths change constantly to engine RPM and load. And if you figure that out, well you'll be a millionaire, but then figure out a way to incorporate that into a constantly variable plenum volume!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AaronSRT8
Now, let me really challenge you, make a constantly variable runner length intake. So the runner lengths change constantly to engine RPM and load. And if you figure that out, well you'll be a millionaire,
Already done (look at F1, bikes & some exotics). Most OEMs prefer to have a 2-stage runner length system rather than continuously variable. The 2-stage gives you most of the benefits at a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted by AaronSRT8
but then figure out a way to incorporate that into a constantly variable plenum volume!
No need to. Just run individual throttles and have as large a plenum as is possible to deliver the strongest possible pressure pulses.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold modifications/ runner length?