Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

heat soak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the IAT sensor at, the one on my truck is in the maf so it doesnt measure actual intake air temp, it measures incoming air temp
Old 07-09-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a BBK on my f14 cam and heads motor. Made 450/400 never lost any power on the dyno after several pulls.

At the track, it consistantly went 96MPH in the 1/8 mile. Doesnt seem like there is a power loss to me with the heat. Once the inside of the intake has been ported/cleaned up its a fairly nice piece. My only complaint about it is the poor sealing of the bottom plate. I just welded mine shut!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a dyno yes it will run a bit warmer while sitting still. On the road the intakes will run at the same temp...as someone stated before the air flows through the heads which will run hotter than any intake.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

This heat soak AL vs Plastic thing gets blown out of proportion. I was just drivability tuning a 2000 Corvette with a FAST 90 and the damn thing was so hot you couldn't touch it after a 50mile cruise...
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I've got an aluminam and if I drive down the block and back I can't get any were near that motor as far as radiant heat it takes a good fourty five min. befor I can even stick my head in there. The other day a guy pulled up next to me at the pump and poped the hood he had H/C/and fast intake he left run the hole time and it was definatly cool enouf to touch. But the alum is prolly what's holdin my beast together!! I'm thinkin it's what peeled my clearcoat off my hood
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would a alum intake act like a intercooler when using E-85?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by garygnu
would a alum intake act like a intercooler when using E-85?
ermmmm no! why would an intercooler work diffrently with a diffrent fuel?....
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think non-carbed intake would, but to some degree it would make sense that a carbed intake might dissipate heat differently because of the higher alcohol content in the fuel. Good question that may never really get an answer any different than the "heat soak" questions
Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chuntington101
ermmmm no! why would an intercooler work diffrently with a diffrent fuel?....
latent heat of vaporization

When a substance changes phase, the arrangement of its molecules changes, but its temperature does not change. If the new arrangement has a higher amount of thermal energy,
the substance must absorb thermal energy from its environment in order to make the phase change. If the new arrangement has a lower amount of thermal energy,the substance must release thermal energy to its environment.

The additional ethanol content in e85 results in the removal of more heat than pure gasoline during it's phase change.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
latent heat of vaporization

When a substance changes phase, the arrangement of its molecules changes, but its temperature does not change. If the new arrangement has a higher amount of thermal energy,
the substance must absorb thermal energy from its environment in order to make the phase change. If the new arrangement has a lower amount of thermal energy,the substance must release thermal energy to its environment.

The additional ethanol content in e85 results in the removal of more heat than pure gasoline during it's phase change.
That dosen't mean the ally intake is acking as an intercooler! it just means you are using fuel to cool your intake! great so you are evaporating fuel in the intake manifold. that gas then takes up volume that could be filled by air... so you are pontenically making less power. this is why N2O guys like direct port setups. the N2O dosen't have time to evaporate and take up space that could be filled by air. On a FI setup there is advantages to fuel evaporation as the coling effect is helps increase the air density and thus potencial power. But thats on air temps that are WELL over ambient and they are not trying to cool intakes or intercoolers with the air!

Aslo where are you planning on adding the fuel???? if its in the normal location there will be very little time for the fuel to absob any heat even from the intake manifold.....

Just my thought sn and would be happy to be proven wrong.

Quick Reply: heat soak