Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

self power generating electrical car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you refferring to a gas engine that powers a generator and using that to drive the vehicle or using the vehicle while its driving to power the generator to charge the batteries? Sounds like the idea behind the Prius

Newtons Laws of Motion-1
Perpetual Motion-0
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daryn
you could use something that could work off the earths barometric pressures.maybe with a bronze tube and brass socket you would prob need alot of someting to even get power ......
Pressure is only useful when presented with a different pressure. One must be worked against another to do work.

Last edited by ZMX; 12-16-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:56 PM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Guys, look! I figured it out! It works!
Attached Thumbnails self power generating electrical car?-lulz.png  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZMX
Guys, look! I figured it out! It works!
Your a idiot.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're an idiot*

If you are going to insult someone get it right..

And secondly, he's right. It's impossible.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ericmck2000
Your a idiot.
You're the one that has been trying to use an anti-matter reaction equation for a car engine.

Last edited by ZMX; 12-16-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Without getting into complex explanations of the laws of thermodynamics and energy conservation, let's put this into layman's terms: Let's say that you have a motor that generates the 1 kilowatt of power to drive the vehicle and then also drives a 1 kilowatt alternator/generator; in order to drive said apparatus you must use something physical, such as a belt or shaft. It takes energy to make this shaft turn or belt to move, this sucks energy away from the machine (parasitic loss). And while one day 99.99999% efficiency MAY be possible(highly unlikely, but possible), unless you can cut parasitic loss out of the equation 100% efficiency can never be achieved. You would need a drivetrain that has a mass of exactly 0.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 AM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PSnewbie
Without getting into complex explanations of the laws of thermodynamics and energy conservation, let's put this into layman's terms:
Stop playing pretend smart.

in order to drive said apparatus you must use something physical, such as a belt or shaft. It takes energy to make this shaft turn or belt to move, this sucks energy away from the machine (parasitic loss).
You would need a drivetrain that has a mass of exactly 0
No, parasitic drag is caused by friction and rolling resistance, both of which are properties of the forces imparted upon them. A massless drivetrain would still have friction.

And while one day 99.99999% efficiency MAY be possible(highly unlikely, but possible), unless you can cut parasitic loss out of the equation 100% efficiency can never be achieved. .
It doesn't matter either way. Even if a 1kW motor and generator could spin each other forever, they would be useless. It would be no different than spinning a rock in outer space and calling it perpetual motion. No new energy is harvestable.

Last edited by ZMX; 12-16-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Veteran

here is a feasible way that will be the closest youll ever get:

roof of durable solar panels
rear wheels hooked to a generator
gas engine hooked to a generator
electric motor for front wheels

plug in, gas supplemental power generation, power generation via motion, power generation via sun. you can not and will not get 100% return on power used to run the generator that its using power from.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

nvm this would only have started a flame war. but I'll admit my wording was wrong, replace drag with loss and my point was still very clear

Last edited by PSnewbie; 01-19-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Launching!

That will only happen if the fuel for cold fusion can be produced from petroleum oil and the major oil companies will still make billions of dollars of profits still. Else, they will just buy out the patents and destroy them.
I can't believe how many people believe this conspiracy nonsense that petroleum companies hold all sorts of patents for advanced alternative energy technologies and suppress it all.

All patents by definition are ******* public information! Secret patents don't exist!

http://www.google.com/patents

As soon as someone is granted a patent it becomes public, therefore impossible to keep secret. To keep a patent secret defeats the whole purpose of the patent system!

Why would anyone even withhold such an advanced technology that you could make billions off of anyways!

People who believe conspiracies are mentally retarded.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Launching!

If you study quantum physics, you will realize that the laws of physics, have many many holes in them.
Please, do share with us!

But, sadly , perpetual motion has not been invented yet. But, water powered cars have!
Yeah, where?

On the physics side, looking at it from a therotical standpoint, Water is actually a much better fuel then gasoline.

Using the e=mc2 thing.... Energy = mass * (velocity of light) ^ 2... So...
A fuel with a heavier mass, therotically has more energy.

Pure Water is 1000kg/cu.m
Gasoline is 737.22kg/cu.m

So, by following the physics here, water contains more potential energy then gasoline. But, in todays technologly, This involves breaking h20 into HHO.
This requires enough energy to break apart the bonds...... Which, usually ends up consuming more energy then its worth to make it pratical. Although, There was somebody who did a hellova job at it and made a awesome water powerd car that broke down the bond inside of the combustion chamber somehow...........

From the guy that claims to have studies quantum physics?

I have a 200 lbs boulder in my backyard, can I use it to run my car?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
Please, do share with us!

Yeah, where?

From the guy that claims to have studies quantum physics?

I have a 200 lbs boulder in my backyard, can I use it to run my car?
Yea, sure, tie a rope around it. Tie the other end to the car. and push it off a cliff. Make sure you get in the car once you have the boulder rolling.

Pretty smart idea actually. Would fix the issue of me having to listen to you on these forums.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This is what happens with nerd frustration. You get a completely useless thread about crap that doesnt make any sense.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This is what happens with nerd frustration. You get a completely useless thread about crap that doesnt make any sense.
I personally think the thread should be locked. Every time somebody tries to add useful relevant information, somebody else has to come along and flame all over it like they are accomplishing something.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think the thread should be locked. Every time somebody tries to add useful relevant information, somebody else has to come along and flame all over it like they are accomplishing something.
While information in this thread is relevant, none of it is useful. We are talking about something that is literally impossible. If this thread should be locked it should be due to the fact that it's science fiction, not advanced engineering haha.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

hand powered generator to power the batteries. idk i dont like electric cars, i like real cars, you know, the ones that drink alotta gas and farts out deadly emissions while i go hittin 160 listenin to the sweet roar of my ls, can't wait til i get ahold of some money to upgrade my 3.8. thats what i like >
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Teching In

its possible but not yet probable untill the technology to make these more efficient is put in place, besides if you did invent something like this and try to market it you would dissappear just like stanley myer who built a dune buggy that would go thousands of miles on one gallon of water via diodes running electric current thru water which breaks apart the hydrogen which is 100x more combustible than gasoline making it therfore extremely efficient and a clean burn, yes i have seen real cars run off this stuff...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOICEY00TA
its possible but not yet probable untill the technology to make these more efficient is put in place, besides if you did invent something like this and try to market it you would dissappear just like stanley myer who built a dune buggy that would go thousands of miles on one gallon of water via diodes running electric current thru water which breaks apart the hydrogen which is 100x more combustible than gasoline making it therfore extremely efficient and a clean burn, yes i have seen real cars run off this stuff...
Hell, about 2 or 3 pages ago, i said something along the lines that I have seen/heard of cars powered by water. I have seen some pretty cool things, but, what makes me wonder... Is, what happens to them? You dont make a water powered car and thats the end of the story, right?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
While information in this thread is relevant, none of it is useful. We are talking about something that is literally impossible. If this thread should be locked it should be due to the fact that it's science fiction, not advanced engineering haha.
QFT.

Idiots.

Quick Reply: self power generating electrical car?