Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LSX Heads that flow like a Pro Stocker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX Heads that flow like a Pro Stocker?

Looking for an alternative to my current heads. They are ETP C5R 265's. Flowed at 390/270@.700 My cam is basically a Pro Stock cam 282/304 - 929/925 That said, the more my heads flow, the better off I am. Any ideas. Obviously, this isn't a budget build...LOL Looking for something that flows closer to 500/350

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by barkingspud; 07-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by barkingspud
Looking for an alternative to my current heads. They are ETP C5R 265's. Flowed at 390/270@.700 My cam is basically a Pro Stock cam 282/304 - 929/925 That said, the more my heads flow, the better off I am. Any ideas. Obviously, this isn't a budget build...LOL

Thanks in advance.
This isn't really an advanced topic so it really doesn't belong in the Advanced Tech section. This belongs in an Internals section.

A lot more info is needed to make any kind of educated guess as to what would be an appropriate cylinder head. "The more flow, the better" mentality is a very poor mentality to have when selecting heads. There really is a lot more to it if you are trying to go fast.

"If a Pro Stock engine builder bought heads the way most people do on the internet they would never qualify, I guarantee it." - Joe Mendelis
Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
This isn't really an advanced topic so it really doesn't belong in the Advanced Tech section. This belongs in an Internals section.

A lot more info is needed to make any kind of educated guess as to what would be an appropriate cylinder head. "The more flow, the better" mentality is a very poor mentality to have when selecting heads. There really is a lot more to it if you are trying to go fast.

"If a Pro Stock engine builder bought heads the way most people do on the internet they would never qualify, I guarantee it." - Joe Mendelis
I was only soliciting opinions. Head porting and massaging is more of an art than a science. Trust me, I am well aware of the requirements of what it takes to build a high HP LSX motor. Sorry to have intruded on your party...
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
KCS

I was only soliciting opinions. Head porting and massaging is more of an art than a science. Trust me, I am well aware of the requirements of what it takes to build a high HP LSX motor. Sorry to have intruded on your party...
LOL, hey I don't make the rules. No need to get butthurt. What belongs in this section is clearly outlined in the guidlines. I guess you missed it, so let me help you out some more.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
This forum will be reserved for highly technical discussions involving performance engineering, design, theory, or mathematics. Advanced topics can be related to engines, performance parts, EFI computer diagnostics and tuning, suspension design and geometry, poweradders, etc...

Examples of threads we consider advanced:

NO: "Which heads are the best?"
YES: "What are the desirable characteristics of intake port design, in terms of velocity, flow, and surface texture?"
Your post sounds a lot more like "what heads are best" example, rather than the more technical example.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
LOL, hey I don't make the rules. No need to get butthurt. What belongs in this section is clearly outlined in the guidlines. I guess you missed it, so let me help you out some more.

Your post sounds a lot more like "what heads are best" example, rather than the more technical example.
Jeez...Ok. Let me clarify. I am looking for someone who can port (or recommend) a head that will flow in the range specified. Do you really think that there is ANYONE in the "regular" sections who have that kind of information? I guess I would have been better off just picking up the phone and talking to Robin or (Pro Stock) John...

I have all of the technical data from my motor required to build what I want, I only need someone who can provide the product or service required for my goals. I posted in here because I'm asking for something that might be a bit more pricey (and complicated) than anything discussed in the regular sections of the board. So, am I asking who has the best off theshelf heads? No. I am looking for a professional head porter or designer that can meet my goals. Again, no budget or limit here....
Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
KCS

Jeez...Ok. Let me clarify. I am looking for someone who can port (or recommend) a head that will flow in the range specified. Do you really think that there is ANYONE in the "regular" sections who have that kind of information? I guess I would have been better off just picking up the phone and talking to Robin or (Pro Stock) John...
Yes, there surely are people in the "regular" sections who can help you out. The "regular" sections are meant for EXACTLY what you're asking. There is even a thread roughly 10 pages long discussing the top LSx head porters in the US. This section, however, is meant to discuss the theory behind your head selection, to discuss ideas. You are basically just window shopping.

I have all of the technical data from my motor required to build what I want, I only need someone who can provide the product or service required for my goals. I posted in here because I'm asking for something that might be a bit more pricey (and complicated) than anything discussed in the regular sections of the board. So, am I asking who has the best off theshelf heads? No. I am looking for a professional head porter or designer that can meet my goals. Again, no budget or limit here....
The fastest All Motor LSX stuff seems to be coming out of Texas, so that's where I would start if I were you. Casey Snyder has been doing the heads for the SAM team and there is also Greg Goode, who did Joe and Amber Honeycutt's heads, and they're both out of Houston literally within a few miles of eachother. I'm 100% sure either one of those guys will get you where you want to be.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
The fastest All Motor LSX stuff seems to be coming out of Texas, so that's where I would start if I were you. Casey Snyder has been doing the heads for the SAM team and there is also Greg Goode, who did Joe and Amber Honeycutt's heads, and they're both out of Houston literally within a few miles of eachother. I'm 100% sure either one of those guys will get you where you want to be.
THAT is what I was looking for. Thanks! btw - I'm already at over 800 N/A HP, I'm just looking for the last 200+ That it's capable of...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for something that flows closer to 500/350
Get a BBC

Even old pro stock truck, little chief style heads flow 450cfm.

I've always had the $100,000 idea of making a 4.5" BS LS Dart block, heads and intake
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AES Racing
Get a BBC

Even old pro stock truck, little chief style heads flow 450cfm.

I've always had the $100,000 idea of making a 4.5" BS LS Dart block, heads and intake
LOL1 I hear you. I'm not that far off with my current setup. I'm just trying to figure out how to get another 100cfm or so out of my current heads...I need a wizard.

I'm already planning my BBC build but, I want to stay in the 500CID NHRA Pro Stock limit.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

What castings would you start with though? I'm not aware of any that can be opened up that much even by the best porters out there. Maybe a Perf Inductions casting? A C5R casting? who could do it? Larry Meaux? That's who I would talk to about this venture.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

As I said. I have ETP C5R 265 Heads that are CNC factory ported. I'm looking for a true wizard. Cary is too busy building his business to deal with a one-off like me. That is the primary reason I posted in here. The usual suspects just don't cut it...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

As I said. I have ETP C5R 265 Heads that are CNC factory ported. I'm looking for a true wizard. Cary is too busy building his business to deal with a one-off like me. That is the primary reason I posted in here. The usual suspects just don't cut it...
Well, you can try Meaux Racing Heads and Dennis at Air Flow Development.. you'd get a better response over on www.speedtalk.com
Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

All of that said, I believe that the heads I have are an excellent match for my goals. Just need to massage them further. The design of my shortblock/cam/intake/heads are as good as they can be except for the flow of my heads. Trust me, Don Bailey helped design my cam based on all the data and it's as good as it can get. Except for head flow, If I had 100 more CFM, I'd have 200+ more HP on the top end and THAT is what I'm looking for.

My hopes are high....Thanks for the input! I'm looking for 1000HP out of my 457...Oh, did I mention that I'm going to spray it? 500 to start...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not call Cary @ PI heads and get his Moses heads(canted valve) and a Marcella sheetmetal intake with twin dominators?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Why not call Cary @ PI heads and get his Moses heads(canted valve) and a Marcella sheetmetal intake with twin dominators?
Not sure that will do what I want. I have a few calls and emails into Cary. I have a perfectly good Beck intake that flows like there's no tomorrow. I just need the heads massaged. I put money on it that they will do the job.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Have you ever spoken with Richard @ WCCH About your current goals??? He Does do 1 off stuff here and there and is very knowledgeable.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

mark, hit me up, i got a guy for ya...
Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Marcin! My Man....Wassup?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think the Edelbrock castings would be a great start, but since the guys at SAM have made 1000 hp with C5R castings, and since you already have them, get in touch with Casey like someone else said. Since those guys at SAM now have a CNC machine, I would bet getting stuff done will be easier.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Brian. I've got a lot of good information and contacts from this thread to follow up on. I just might have Darin Morgan interested...

Quick Reply: LSX Heads that flow like a Pro Stocker?