Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Nascar moves to EFI next season

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:52 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I've read about numbers near 800whp on chassis dyno post-race. I've seen 10,000 RPM topped on numerous occasions while watching qualifying on TV.
wow, 10k rpms outta of pushrod engine. They using roller cams?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dug
wow, 10k rpms outta of pushrod engine. They using roller cams?
The cup engines are flat tappet....as far as different ecu's goes the cars all run the same carbs now.. a good cup motor is nearing 1000 bhp..if you see some old chassis.dyno numbers the cars made 876 wrhp..factor 10% for loss...
Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoes engines have not even broke 900BHP yet. The chassis dyno must have been off. When i was at toyota we had a busch truck motor than turned 11500. we ran the car and truck in 3rd gear. This was at martinsvilleThe Frued dyno would even read the rpms, we had to get an autometer tach and attach it to the dyno console. My favorite is when we would race sim the engines on the dyno, you could never hit the shutdown button fast enough before she would let go on the dyno.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Sounds to me you are describing a Grand Am car or some other failed production car class that never has or never will take off.. They have been called "STOCKCARS" since the late 40's.. and while they have evolved to what they are now the name has stuck....The Idea of driving a production bodied car into turn 3 at Atlanta at 200 is insane..People dont mention anything about a pro STOCK drag car no longer being production based.. Please explain to me why I would never win on this topic... Ive picked up a few things working in the sport for the last 10 or so years... and if worthy which im sure it will be i'll be sure to bring your ideas to Mike Helton or John Darby
I totally agree with the point brought up regarding EFI.. its nothing more than a marketing ploy.. Bringing on more costs to the teams at a fragile time is a poor idea...
Ive got lots of ideas for racing classes and rules that would make a lot more sense than they do things now. It just depends on the type of racing you want to see.

How about a drivers race? do a similar thing they did in IROC racing where the organization provided the true stock cars and the drivers and race teams would just show up and race them.

How about a engineering race? Think F1 but less restrictive with stupid rules. Instead of having these dumb rules like oh you can only use 2Liters and only rev to 20k, well **** that how about limiting exotic materials and having the teams only spend a certain amount on raw materials so it forces them to make a better engine and not just use rediculously expensive cars. In other words it would be a lot more like what the car industry tries to do with less or inexpensive materials to make a profit. Also like I mentioned limit the fuel to pump gas and limit the amount of fuel they can use for a race, obviously this isnt a mpg race so it shouldnt be so little that it makes it impossible to finish a race with highspeeds but it shouldnt be so much that you have 2000hp drag engines running 300mph down the straights. As for the cars themselves make an unlimited class where basicaly the only restrictions are materials used and it has to be within a certain H/W/L and dont even restrict weight. Obviously for safety maybe make a little kind of pod that holds the drivers thats designed to hold up to bad crashes and that would be the only thing the guys couldnt change for safety.

I mean hell getting the manufacturers involved would be the best cause then you would have a lot of R&D going into it so they can get on top and do what they did back in the 60's "race on sunday sell on monday".
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8
How about a engineering race? Think F1 but less restrictive with stupid rules. Instead of having these dumb rules like oh you can only use 2Liters and only rev to 20k, well **** that how about limiting exotic materials and having the teams only spend a certain amount on raw materials so it forces them to make a better engine and not just use rediculously expensive cars. In other words it would be a lot more like what the car industry tries to do with less or inexpensive materials to make a profit. Also like I mentioned limit the fuel to pump gas and limit the amount of fuel they can use for a race, obviously this isnt a mpg race so it shouldnt be so little that it makes it impossible to finish a race with highspeeds but it shouldnt be so much that you have 2000hp drag engines running 300mph down the straights. As for the cars themselves make an unlimited class where basicaly the only restrictions are materials used and it has to be within a certain H/W/L and dont even restrict weight. Obviously for safety maybe make a little kind of pod that holds the drivers thats designed to hold up to bad crashes and that would be the only thing the guys couldnt change for safety.
I hope you understand that although the above may be intrersting for a seanson or two, once the teams get used to the rules they WILL find the optimum setup/engine and all team will end up running similar engines? F1 teams aren't stupid! if they have the ability to devleop a new RACE ENGINE in the off season that has to be pretty much spot on as soon as it hits the race track they know what the f*ck they are doing.

I do like your idea about limiting fuel and opening up the rules a bit. but you will find that whatever setup works will be copied by other teams and then haypresto you have the same situation as you are in now, all teams running similar engines.

The easist way to cut costs is to use gineric parts. BTCC has done this and insists all teams use standard gearbox and break packages. Now these are cheap bits of kit, probalby $20K in a gearbox, if not more. but at least you can stop people pending $100k on a gearbox (thats how much WRC rally car boxes can cost!!!!). You could do the same with the engines, even have a limited number of manufactures that will say wet lease their engines for a fixed cost.

Chris.

Quick Reply: Nascar moves to EFI next season