Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

CAD Project Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably gonna get some bashing for this but i would like to see an IRS kit for 98-02 camaro or trans am. ie: rear frame, brakets, axles, diff, springs shocks and everyting. and as bolt in as possible.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice! I have designed quite a bit of projects with SolidWorks.... for my job and some for my own personal projects. Here are some to give you an idea:

I definitely like the idea of modeling a differential... definitely my next task.
Attached Thumbnails CAD Project Ideas-sheetmetal-intake.jpg   CAD Project Ideas-otrcai.jpg   CAD Project Ideas-wheel-5x4.75.jpg   CAD Project Ideas-coilover-mount.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlumaroZ28
probably gonna get some bashing for this but i would like to see an IRS kit for 98-02 camaro or trans am. ie: rear frame, brakets, axles, diff, springs shocks and everyting. and as bolt in as possible.
I love this idea! It'll be a win=win for you
Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlumaroZ28
I'll sell you everything I pulled out from under my 04 GTO
Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about working on a complete ITB manifold.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

why not do what most professionals do. Send it out have a 3D scan done and alter the model from there. That is how we start on a lot of projects here at work. This will save a very large chunk of time when it comes to getting the 3D solid model done. How about a redesign of a FAST 102 intake where the MAP will not hit on the fire wall.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oakley6575
A piston and rod would take me an hour and a half. This has to be something that will take me the entire semester. And also and assembly. I'm using Solidworks.

The twin turbo kit would be a great project. Maybe do a mirror image turbo kit for a car that doesn't have one specifically made for it yet.
This will take an entire semester:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ezQMdtyW4
Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Teching In

I love the independent rear suspension bolt on project also, that will keep you occupied for an extended period, especially if you want to do any engineering on it to back it up.

Quick word of advice to help you learn: whenever you are modeling a part, always think about how you would make it. Ask yourself, can I machine this feature? How can I get a mill in there? Would this be easier cast or as a weldment instead? Can I make more features round so I can make it all on a lathe? Do I need this fillet / chamfer or is it just for looks?

From experience, it sucks finishing a really cool design for a part and then realizing you can't make it .
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IceHammer
I love the independent rear suspension bolt on project also, that will keep you occupied for an extended period, especially if you want to do any engineering on it to back it up.

Quick word of advice to help you learn: whenever you are modeling a part, always think about how you would make it. Ask yourself, can I machine this feature? How can I get a mill in there? Would this be easier cast or as a weldment instead? Can I make more features round so I can make it all on a lathe? Do I need this fillet / chamfer or is it just for looks?

From experience, it sucks finishing a really cool design for a part and then realizing you can't make it .
One of the best pieces of advice for sure...
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tmartin01Z28
why not do what most professionals do. Send it out have a 3D scan done and alter the model from there. That is how we start on a lot of projects here at work.
I wouldn't say most professionals. Or even many.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Might start off with something a little simpler and go from there.

A header is a pretty good start as it will teach you sweeps, shelling and the like. Or, build the whole thing from surfaces.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Here is what I have been working on:

Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

lt1detroit,

Very nice project. Are all the line-up dimensions accurate? Any way you could show a cut-away??

I'm working on something similar for a siamese port configuration.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

If you really want a challenge...

I can post all the profile views if anyone is interested... or parasolids.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow this is a good thread, ive been trying to learn some solidworks for a few months now. those headers and intakes look amazing, yall need to do a solidworks tutorial lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ive made a few things for my car and other peoples for ideas:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1144453...CMW5g6m9r-3JMg

my personal fav is probably the intercooler i designed and made

Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RNation0001
wow this is a good thread, ive been trying to learn some solidworks for a few months now. those headers and intakes look amazing, yall need to do a solidworks tutorial lol.
I only used SW for a short period of time but I'd say that, coming from a Unigraphics background, it's probably one of the more intuitive programs out there. The tutorials also seem to be well done, so I'd suggest starting there.

FWIW, the header was built and rendered in Catia, SW's big brother. The truck was my first real attempt at pushing SW's surfacing capabilities. It can be a bit of a challenge to surface with where continuity is important but overall a great package.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Teching In

I've always liked designing wheels with SolidWorks. But they only take less than an hour each haha.

I think you could try to tackle a complete LS1 engine. Wouldn't be easy, but would definitely be cool, especially if you could do a rapid prototype of the piece for your desk.

How many CAD designers does Tech have? I finished my 2nd year towards my bachelors in CAD product design.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamaroLSwon
I've always liked designing wheels with SolidWorks. But they only take less than an hour each haha.

I think you could try to tackle a complete LS1 engine. Wouldn't be easy, but would definitely be cool, especially if you could do a rapid prototype of the piece for your desk.

How many CAD designers does Tech have? I finished my 2nd year towards my bachelors in CAD product design.
A friend of mine modeled a LT1 completely. Once he finished that, he started at the wheels/tires of his C4 vette and worked inward, replicating everything he could... Down to the wiring harness. VERY IMPRESSIVE to say the least when he completed it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamaroLSwon
Ugh: 26yrs Automotive CAD design. Never pass up training, jump on every new thing that comes along. I have never been out of work.

Graphite, flow pens & aluminum stylus
Applicon Bravo
PDGS
Aries
SDRC I-Deas
UG
CATIA

Those are just the design softwares.

Last edited by ACCLR8N; 05-19-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Okay, that was definately braggy

Quick Reply: CAD Project Ideas