Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

JB Weld in Intake Ports?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default JB Weld in Intake Ports?

There is allot of dead space and wasted CC's I am finding in LS1 heads. I want to fill in the port floors once I finish up my ports. I have seen JB Weld used in the past but I am not sure how that will hold up to the alcohal that is in the fuel now. It would also take a ton of tubes to fill 8 intake ports. Are there any other "materials" I should be looking into for filling intake ports besides welding? This will be a daily driver and I will match the intake to it.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Splashzone Z spar
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Z spar is about the only thing is use. I've used jb weld on parts that come in contact with fuel and it started getting soft very quick....I would hate the thought of losing an engine because it sucked a chunk of jb weld into the chamber.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
There is allot of dead space and wasted CC's I am finding in LS1 heads. I want to fill in the port floors once I finish up my ports. I have seen JB Weld used in the past but I am not sure how that will hold up to the alcohal that is in the fuel now. It would also take a ton of tubes to fill 8 intake ports. Are there any other "materials" I should be looking into for filling intake ports besides welding? This will be a daily driver and I will match the intake to it.
Devcon aluminum epoxy, this is what was used by many to fill in big lazy intake ports to create velocity and better V/E. Not effected by fuels once set and takes on the same expansion/contraction rate as aluminum because its main ingredient is aluminum.http://www.all-spec.com/products/Dev...-00/11350.html smaller sizes available, check all their products, there's one ideal product for filling in ports. Be very careful welding in ports, cracks happen.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
There is allot of dead space and wasted CC's I am finding in LS1 heads. I want to fill in the port floors once I finish up my ports. This will be a daily driver and I will match the intake to it.

What are you planning to use on the intake side?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to JB Weld at first but I am thinking more along the lines of the stuff GM uses to adhere Corvette inner fenders with. I had to replace one and the epoxy is no joke. It sets quick and has the slightest bit of flexibility.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 64post
Devcon aluminum epoxy, this is what was used by many to fill in big lazy intake ports to create velocity and better V/E. Not effected by fuels once set and takes on the same expansion/contraction rate as aluminum because its main ingredient is aluminum.http://www.all-spec.com/products/Dev...-00/11350.html smaller sizes available, check all their products, there's one ideal product for filling in ports. Be very careful welding in ports, cracks happen.
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had good luck with moroso A+ B epoxy .buy the the latest stuff,it has a shelf life.

Quick Reply: JB Weld in Intake Ports?