Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Retrofitting LSX EFI to '69 Pontiac 428

Old 09-08-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Retrofitting LSX EFI to '69 Pontiac 428

I'm toying around with the idea of retrofitting an entire efi system from a LSX motor onto my '69 Pontiac 428, aftermarket systems are garbage (mostly because of patents) edelbrock makes fuel rails and intake manifold for the motor, I would be planning on using lsx sensors and controls. right now im looking for advice and constructive criticism, problems I will encounter, or if anything similar has been done.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holley EFI would be a very easy set up something like that.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also look at Mega squirt, would be similar to using a LS computer as far as what you would need.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would look thoroughly at the work done to retrofit 2002 van Gen I SBC EFI, (which shared a PCM with similar years C5 models) to other Gen I and Gen II SBC models. Your owrk would be similar, but you'd be missing crank and cam sensor provisions and would have to improvise.

EFI Connection has setups for the SBC. That includes retrofit of cam and crank sensor reluctors and sensor mounting, as well as using coils instead of the distributor. The dist. is passeé anyway.

So if you can accomodate the custom work of reluctor wheels and sensor mounting with a custom timing cover, as well as tuning, you can do it, but it's a big job.

It used to be compatible knock sensors are best used from an engine that shares bore size, or close to it; the LS7 would be close. Tuning options may have changed this.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauls325
I'm toying around with the idea of retrofitting an entire efi system from a LSX motor onto my '69 Pontiac 428, aftermarket systems are garbage (mostly because of patents) edelbrock makes fuel rails and intake manifold for the motor, I would be planning on using lsx sensors and controls. right now im looking for advice and constructive criticism, problems I will encounter, or if anything similar has been done.
Obviously the Conversions section would be a better place to start...

But certainly thousands of sways have been done...tens of thousands to various cars so there is no issue there.

Although a generic sweeping statement like aftermarket systems are garbage....exactly what systems ? And more to the point, what are you proposing ?

If you want to retain OEM systems, why even worry about an aftermarket ( garbage ? ) intake and fuel rails ? when OEM will work fine
Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

well as far as the aftermarket systems, the shop I frequent has installed holley edelbrock and fast systems and had to remove them all. I would assume that this is because of patent sidestepping, besides the amount of money used to develop and aquire efi components for an oem manufacturer dwarfs that of an aftermarket system. im currently studying auto tech at Dunwoody to fill in some blanks in my electronics ability. im just being picky I want the drivability my grand prix gxp has but in a 70 firebird with a true Pontiac block.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLLEY HP EFI is your best option.

Sounds like you need to find a new shop too!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

well as far as the aftermarket systems, the shop I frequent has installed holley edelbrock and fast systems and had to remove them all. I would assume that this is because of patent sidestepping, besides the amount of money used to develop and aquire efi components for an oem manufacturer dwarfs that of an aftermarket system. im currently studying auto tech at Dunwoody to fill in some blanks in my electronics ability. im just being picky I want the drivability my grand prix gxp has but in a 70 firebird with a true Pontiac block.

They had to remove them all ???

Because of patents ?

What you're posting about seems really confusing.

Are there some sort of stringent rules or something your car has to adhere to ?

If you want an aftermarket system, just install one. And if your tuner cant give you good driveability, they're idiots, take the car somewhere competent.

It really isnt a difficult process. Choose a good quality system, install, tune and drive off happy. As long as the installer is competent, it really is that easy.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

????? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I guess you need to blame Obama for that Sh%t.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

thanks im a little weary about knock sensor since they search for a frequency which i imagine is slightly different between an iron block and aluminum.....

anyway its kind of a side project im accumulating parts for slowly.... not sure what obama has to do with it.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Knock sensors dont search for anything. They simply listen. Any frequency of knock is largely dependant on bore size, not block material

As for what the ecu does in response to any noises heard, that's up to what the tuner decides within the software.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

You're biggest hurdle will be the camshaft and crankshaft sensor provisions. Your best bet would be an external reluctor ring behind the balancer. There are a few pictures in this thread, but not much information:
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...uel-Injection?

The camshaft sensor would be tricky. I know EFI Connections makes one that bolts in place of the distributor for SBC engines, but that won't work for a Pontiac. If you are dead set on using the LS1 coils and computer, I would call them up and see if it is possible for them to make one using a Pontiac distributor.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

my constraint is basically a true pontiac block and rotating assembly. and also my budget which is " come on lets be reasonable here" like i may have said i realize this will be ongoing because im going to be driving the car up to the point in which i think i can make it happen. and there is heavy research to be done until then.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:11 AM
9 Second Club

So what you're actually trying to do is install the modern engine management system onto an older and totally different engine ?

Gotta ask the question....why ?

When there are many easier, cheaper, universal management systems out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrofitting LSX EFI to '69 Pontiac 428