Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

5.3 / 4x4 4L60E + Electric Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 5.3 / 4x4 4L60E + Electric Motor

I hope this is an appropriate location for this question. I had a random thought pop into my head. If I took a junkyard 5.3/4L60E w/ transfer case and installed it into a rwd car but mounted an electric motor to the transfer case would that work as a hybrid synergy style driveline? I am looking to effectively reduce the load on the engine with the electric motor and increase the overall power output.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

What are you going to use for batteries?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
What are you going to use for batteries?
I haven't planned that far ahead, I am just trying to see if my idea is ludicrous or not. I was reading this one thread about a Warp 11 install into a corvette. The poster stated that he was going to use a 45 (180Ah) cell Sky Energy LiFePO4 battery pack. I still need to do more research, especially about the control system.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

You would have to rig the motor to generate on decel, and the electronics needed to regulate the whole works would be quite daunting. You would need a huge amount of battery capacity for it to be worthwhile.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default PMM Motor + Sevcon Three Phase Motor Controller

Hi SS, I am in Santa Ana, you should stop by for a visit.
I have been making Hybrid and EV's for four years.
I have stock of Lithium Ion Batteries (1.5 Tons)

So I ask, What will be the PMM Motor's operating Voltage ?

I have in stock a 36 channel BMS.

My Cells Are 3.74 volts each.

My Batteries are in Red Rover !

Lance 949-250-1797
Old 09-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice idea but I wonder if the 2 would "fight" each other? Another way to look at it would be if the engine has more torque at a specific rpm than the electric motor, then it would/could add an additional load to the engine and visa/versa. The load would be perfectly split if both had the same torque. It would be perfect if torque from each matched each other. Well worth the discussion and attempt if you have the time/money parts to do it. Good thought to decrease the load on the engine.

A thought to add to your idea would be to make the front axle electric and only used in 4x4. Just a thought while reading your post.

Again, great idea.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

Interesting idea. First question I have is what are the goals. Is it a daily driver and you just want to leave the light quicker? A stop and go car where you want to save gas mileage by regen? A drag car where you want mire launch torque?
Generally I don’t see the syncing of the gas and electric as that big an issue. I can imagine using the tps or an extra tps pot to adjust the current output to the electric motor. Sure some custom electronics there but doable

don’t know much about 4x4. Are the gears locked, any one way sprags in there?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSswap
Interesting idea. First question I have is what are the goals. Is it a daily driver and you just want to leave the light quicker? A stop and go car where you want to save gas mileage by regen? A drag car where you want mire launch torque?
Generally I don’t see the syncing of the gas and electric as that big an issue. I can imagine using the tps or an extra tps pot to adjust the current output to the electric motor. Sure some custom electronics there but doable

don’t know much about 4x4. Are the gears locked, any one way sprags in there?
If I did explore this idea further, it would be for more power just to enjoy for fun. It would be nice to get better miles though. I don't know much about how the transfer case works myself.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If I did explore this idea further, it would be for more power just to enjoy for fun. It would be nice to get better miles though. I don't know much about how the transfer case works myself.
Now if it were me, I'd think about getting one of those rear ends with the changeable transfer gears and connecting the electric motor to the rear end one of the gears.

LS engine + transfer case + the weight of an electric motor may be too much weight up front. Maybe clearance issues also unless it's a truck.

Maybe even better, get a FWD LS1 car, leave the front alone. Add an electric rear axle and now you are king.

Quick Reply: 5.3 / 4x4 4L60E + Electric Motor