Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Things they dont tell you about building a stroker..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Ok guys..here is last nights saga.

ARP is sending me a new nut...and free too...yeah

SLPs Timing set instructions suck...keyways to the left of standard are advance and keyways to the right are retard..dont use standard dot when using non-standard keyway...who the hell writes that ****? ever hear of clockwise or direction of crank rotation?

Cam was supposed to come in at 110 dot to dot...mine came in at 106 after doing it twenty times...242/250 .595/.595 109...Piston to valve was .165 exhaust closest.

Try degreeing a cam with new hydraulic lifters....you know what im talking about..

Dial indicator doesnt like staying on the damn comp 1.75 rocker...pushrod hole on top moves it all around...it was a bitch to set up.

There is not an easy way to turn over an LS1...just flywheel bolts in the crank sucks..what do you guys do.
Been there done that, some of that anyway!
Didn't see the specs on your cam above? You assuredly already know this, if the LSA on the cam is 114 +4 then yea, it should have come in 110 IC. Sure you don't have a 110 +4 LSA that should have been 106 IC?
Here's a good one, I bought Comps degree kit, watched the videos and started to do mine. Ended up on the camhelp line with two guys for an hour before we figured out that the SBC shown in the video had the intake port forward, and that I had been trying to degree in the cam on the exhaust port, d'oh! We kept thinking about I was 90deg off on something but it never added up. I probably spent 4 hours trying before I called them.

I rotated the crank the hardway, and due to the fact that I was so worried about messing something up, I probably ended up rotating the crank 300+ full turns. Good workout! If I ever had to be a mechanic for a living I would have no hands/knuckles left.

Getting the dial setup was a major pain, getting the caliper set right on the lifter was precarious. I did multiple reads on each setting to test for variances.

I couldnt get a straight answer as to whether the lifters should be preloaded or not when adjusting to zero lash. I have the comp PM 1.85s. I did them unloaded and the car really sounded like crap, definately should have done them preloaded. (Thanks to Dennis at The Vette Doctors for schooling me on that one).

I guess I got lucky using the Rollmaster Doube Roller timing set. It came with spacers for the oil pump which worked perfectly. Had to pull the damn crank gear off a good 10-12 times to get it dialed in right. You're right the instructions read freakin wierd, in the end the presence of a single comma in a sentence (where it shouldn't have been) caused me to keep reading the instructions wrong! Everyone said I would probably have to machine the back of the ASP UD pulley, but it all fit perfect.

Used cometics also. Does take a little effort to make sure when you put them on, but other than that, they are hard to beat. I probably spent an hour trying them in different positions to make sure. Nice that I had two months to do all this in! Couldnt imagine trying to make a living at it.

So did you take your hood off, or leave it on? man what a mistake that was!

Well you have to agree the educational aspect of it all is good, and if I ever go a second round it'll be easier. But all in all, if I had the money, I"d gladly pay a pro to do the next one!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!:thumbs:
Old 11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

57 sounds way too high. Last turbo car i worked on was 750hp with some extra room fo boost on 40psi. i think we used 45 or 50. for 600 on 43 psi- 42lb injectors should be good.

80% duty cycle is the magic number. do the math, i'm lazy. bigger isn't better
Old 11-23-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cam card doesnt say anything...just 109

BTW guys...this thread started over a year and a half ago...car is running fine still..had a little wire harness glitch but that is all fixed up.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Teching In

After seeing all the problems, I am having a 383 stroker built and have a few questions. i am putting in an Eagle Crank, Eagle forged rods, JE pistons, LSX 90mm Intake & Throttle body, and want to run a 150 shot.

What size injectors do I need and size fuel pump? Will i need a fuel regulator? And who do you recommend for the tuning? What size Cam for a still streetable car?

2000 Z-28
SLP Headers, Cut-out, K&N FIPK, 160 T-Stat, 3500 TCI, 342 Gears
1/8 mi. 7.76 @ 86 mph
Old 12-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ttt......................
Old 12-16-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

video or sound clip of that 109 idling?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5150-Z28
After seeing all the problems, I am having a 383 stroker built and have a few questions. i am putting in an Eagle Crank, Eagle forged rods, JE pistons, LSX 90mm Intake & Throttle body, and want to run a 150 shot.

What size injectors do I need and size fuel pump? Will i need a fuel regulator? And who do you recommend for the tuning? What size Cam for a still streetable car?

2000 Z-28
SLP Headers, Cut-out, K&N FIPK, 160 T-Stat, 3500 TCI, 342 Gears
1/8 mi. 7.76 @ 86 mph
I put in SLP 36lb injectors and a racetronix in tank pump. you might want to consider 42lbers. Dont need a regulator. I highly recommend Mikey from Rapid Motorsports for tuning. No one else better. He can recommend a cam too. Where do you live?

I'll see if I can get a clip of the 109...snowed in here right now...but it feakin rumbles...I did it for the sound.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just spend 6 hours machining and refinishing my pistons to make some more clearance between the pistons and crank. Make sure you check for this before balancing or assembling.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stealth
If "they" told you "everything" in advance, no one ever build a high horsepower motor or car. The pain and suffering is just too great.

Yeah, but it is so worth it when it's in there and your kicking @$$ and taking names.....
Old 01-08-2006, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Cam card doesnt say anything...just 109

BTW guys...this thread started over a year and a half ago...car is running fine still..had a little wire harness glitch but that is all fixed up.
I dont think you realize how fast you could probably tear into your second one. There is a first time for everything and next time you would feel like a pro, you learn from mistake and then never forget it. If you had heard all this before starting on it you would only remember hearing something on these issues. Appreciate your education youve given yourself,your better off this way. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I will one add thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread that is a critical factor when assembling a stroker.

You must shim the windage tray so the rotating assembly can clear; otherwise it will nick the inside bottom of the tray.
I will be purchasing an assembled 408 stroker from TSP. Do I need to worry about this? Anything else I need to clearance before assembling the rest of the motor?