Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents
View Poll Results: What best describes you and your automotive credentials?
Engineer: Automotive or Motor vehicle related
8.25%
Mechanic: Professional
17.08%
Wrench on everything yourself but not getting paid for it.
31.77%
Really enjoy cars and do some wrenching but leave the big stuff to the pro's
21.11%
I like Cars!
3.07%
Engineer: Other fields besides auto
14.78%
Other: Tell us your car credentials... and why we should listen to your opinion
3.93%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Advanced Reader Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

27, BS in Mechanical Engineering, worked as a semiconductor process engineer at a fab for a few years and recently moved into facilities services at the same fab, specifically cylinder gas engineering. Old man is a retired GM Engineer and had me changing spark plugs when I was about 10 (probably because it was on a Corsica and I had small enough hands to get to the back cylinders!). Did about 95% of the work on my car and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18 here going to ASU and I am in the Fulton engineering program for a degree in some type of engineering field. Took apart an old quadrajet carb laying around my dads garage at the age of 6 and reasembled 50% of it . I just love cars, and have a passion for thinking what I can do to my LS1 in the future.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

25 here always had a camaro (sence i was 8) finshed HS in the army know(in iraq) i picked up a pro charged 2000z right before i left for the sandbox im on here cause i want to see how the big dogs play and to get some info thats all
Old 11-30-2006, 10:17 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

One of the old guys 40+ dragracing since '82, 2000+ passes.
Hung around and helped a little on stock car for my Uncle at raceway park when little.
On my 4th F-body still have 3. Own, drive, tune Pro-Modified '94 Lumina converted to Top Sportsman. Do all work on wiring, fuel, engine, chassis, loading, towing, driving, and of course paying the bills. Don't claim to be expert welder, but I'm getting there. Don't have machine shop, but do all the installation of engines, trans, rear ends.
Made various custom parts, motor plates, brackets, N2O setup ect.
Do all needed maintenance to keep cars, trucks, trailer up and running.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

working for Chevrolet dealer 8 years now.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I put proffesional mechanic, but I am out of the field now. Still do side work and my own stuff, but Im no engineer.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 427
Started out as technician in general repair shop MANY years ago. Built drag racing engines at night in my garage. Eventually bought Sunnen engine machinery and opened my own engine shop with 2000sq ft showroom. My company was bought out by Wheel to Wheel Powertrain in 1999. I was lead engine builder for LS based road racing/drag racing efforts for GM/Jon Moss special build group. Built first 10 second NA, 9 secoind NA, 8 second NA Gen 3 engines. Also built First SC gen 3 in the 8's. First gen 3 in the 6's.
I like trying to find the limits of this gen3 platform.

Kurt
Wow , I can't believe I'm able to talk on the same forum with THE Kurt Urban!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

I'm a 32 year old Assistant Vice President of a Fortune 15 Company that is a leader in the Financial Industry. I do most things myself but also have to weigh out my time and how long things will take to do vs how much I want to do it myself. I really enjoy wrenching on whatever I can get my hands on. I also like it when there is some sort of problem and I diagnose it and fix the problem.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by David Tannenbaum
I'm a 32 year old Assistant Vice President of a Fortune 15 Company that is a leader in the Financial Industry. I do most things myself but also have to weigh out my time and how long things will take to do vs how much I want to do it myself. I really enjoy wrenching on whatever I can get my hands on. I also like it when there is some sort of problem and I diagnose it and fix the problem.
Zzzzzzzz... so what company is this?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Teching In

50 Years old, I do all my vette´s mechanical work and some times I do some wrenching for my friends Camaros and Vettes. I have a degree in business administration, but last couple of years I've been doing some VCM tuning for fun........ and I even get paid for it!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

35 year old senior software engineer, maintaining a linux distribution for network security appliance products. I started out working on bicycles, then took lawnmower shop in 7th grade and started rebuilding junk lawnmowers, then got a motorcycle which I broke and fixed pretty regularly. Somewhere around that time I took a flight to visit my grandparents and picked up a Car Craft magazine in the airport and started to dream about cars. My dad gave me his '79 RX7 when I turned 15 (after he had burned up the rotor oil seal O-rings), and paid for parts and tools to rebuild it that summer. I went through a lot of Japanese clunkers in highschool and spent a lot of time fixing them, and didn't discover Chevy V8's until my sophomore year of college at UT Austin when I was building up a '91 GMC 2500 for the SAE Natural Gas Vehicle Challenge. I picked up my '68 Camaro Convt in '94, with dreams of building a twin-turbo LT1 daily driver out of it. I didn't finally start an engine swap on it until this past July, and its new (used) '99 SS LS1 fired for the first time yesterday.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

Machinist(duh) Specialize in cylinder heads, although the testing is a joke I am also ASE Certified as a Gas and Diesel Engine Machinist. We are a dyno facility also, so I have countless hours in tune work(carb, no EFI) I try not to, but when it is needed I will also play mechanic and fix or do fab work on the various hot rods we work on and build. We cater mostly to the road race community(SCCA), have several dirt modifieds, a couple alcohol modifieds, couple 360 sprinters, diesel pull motors, boat race motors, and countless hot rods and toys. We also do the machine work for the local Ford, GM, Toyota/lexus, and Honda dealerships, so I have a good background in machining pretty much any motor you can think of.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

41 years old, 22 year licensed Aircraft Mechanic, specializing in electrical systems. Self taught automotive mechanic, ASE Certified in A1 engine repair, A8 engine performance, A4 suspension and steering, and A5 Brakes. I have been working on cars since I was 13, planes at 17, and general do it yourself fix it all from about the age of 10. Not much I have not done, I prep and paint my own cars, fabricate, weld, alignments, rebuild ect... I may not be the fastest, but I am very particular and feel if you want it done right do it yourself.

I have always loved the 60's muscle cars, have owned several and was a diehard carb man. That was until I picked up a cheap LS1, when that car was finished I seemed to gravitate toward it when going out to cruise. The power it produced for a relatively stock engine, its ease of computer controlled warm-up and fuel delivery beat out the older cars P.I.T.A. temperment. With the LS1 in a newer style f-body I decided to try some road racing, boy did I get hooked. I'm now currently melding the two with a 69 Camaro and the LS1 ( g-machine ). This summer I'm looking forward to diving deeper into my HP tuner software and upping the ante' old and new school combined. If everything works out It will make the power tour dressed in flat black ready for a one to two year mechanical work out via racing / cruising, prior to a nice paint finish.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

i enjoy drinking some beer and working on cars with friends no reason to get paid for it we have our own problems with cars
Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

probly cause we drink to much then do it wrong HAHA
Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Worked on GPS satellite NDS (Nuclear-detonation Detection Systems) and NBC weapons detection and prevention. All the other stuff is classified except for the seismic/hydroacoustic analysis and maintenance and DEW (directed energy weapon, basic microwave crap nothing impressive) work.

As for cars I actually changed my oil once (with a professionals help after he put it on a lift) and the most complex thing I did was put 7 out 8 spark plug wires on.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Teching In

20 year old NASCAR mechanic and tire changer. I work for Bob Riley owner and founder of Riley Technologies and Riley and Scott Racing. Bob decided to start a NASCAR team and formed Riley Dhondt Motorsport. I have been working in nascar for about 2 years now and have been doing pit stops for about a year and a half. Bought my first f-body about 6 months ago and am hopefully gonna be buying an '01 WS6 next week (if everything goes as planned).
Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i should have posted in this a while back....law enforcement, worked for a GM tech during my 4 years of college....do all my own work unless i dont have the tools or time
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi, GM Tech. Also just and out right car nut I love to learn everything and anything I can about how and why something works. Also I'm a perfectionist I mean just look at my build haha.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been wrenching on cars since I was 9, (43 now). No formal schooling but I know how to read. I can follow directions and am smart enough to know when to ask questions.

Quick Reply: Advanced Reader Poll