Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Knock Sensors....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Armageddon
Excuse me if I misinterpreted your question at all. Our knock sensor location and frequencies were posted above but I read your question like you wanted to know how it actually detected knock? Knock sensors are Piezoelectric sensors. The Piezoelectric effect is an example of how energy is converted from one form to another, "mechanical to electrical." A knock sensor is made up of a polarized crystal encased in a sturdy conductive principle. When a polarized crystal is compressed it forms a voltage through mechanical deformation. The conductive principle directs the newly aquired AC current to the computer. First it has to go through a DC converter so the computer can read it. The harder the knock, the more the crystal is compressed, which determines the amount of voltage sent to the computer. The higher the voltage the more drastic measures the computer takes to correct the situation.
How similar is this to the oscillating crystals inside some communication equipment i used to work on? Its been a while but the crystal i remember is rated at 5MHz and can be controlled through a resistor.

Quick Reply: Knock Sensors....