Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

vic Jr versus Standard intake question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was a carb, it would be screwing with you.

since its a throttlebody, and the vacuum/airflow isnt metering your fueling, i donno.

personally, i wouldnt run it like that. id fabricate some kind of plenum to fit onto the manifold, smooth the edged for that transition into the manifold, and mount the throttlebody on the plenum.

also i really agree with SStrokerAce on the bolton expectations of some.. that manifold isnt meant to be bolted on. the VicJr for the SBC isnt meant to be bolted on.. the $90 VicJr clones you can get off ebay isnt even ment to be bolted on.. they're all cast with undersize ports so you can exactly match them.
the ONLY race oriented (aka not street) massproduced aftermarket manifold ive ever known to NOT need portwork is the LSx... and thats because its injection molded plastic ment to match factory ports that are much more accurate from motor to motor then the older motor designs out there...
Old 04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was an experiment. There is very little info out there on this type of setup, and nobody else out there is testing it. Alot of time and effort went into this JUST to test it out, and were just looking for technical opinions and info to make it better.

Why would you recomend an elbow/TB over this type setup? Anyone running that in an N/A setup with results?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much longer are the runners on an LS6 vs this Vic Jr?

Wouldn't a longer runner (LS6) be more advantagous at a lower RPM, and a shorter runner(Vic Jr) more advantagous at a higher RPM?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes exactly, the shorter runner is going to shine higher in the RPM range. Like I posted at the begining, some porting and camshaft cahnges need to be made to make the most of the intake. If you are running a stock bottom end you may not be willing to spin it as high as you should to make it shine though.

I agree with the above posted about a 106lsa being old school lol. I don't think so you need to run the LSA to keep the valve events in line for the particular app. The tight LSA will come as a by-product of running the shorter runners.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much gain could you see by porting the intake itself? I'm going to assume you'd want at least a port match and then opening up the runners themselves.

If using this Intake on an FI application, does it look like it will work out better overall or is the LS6 a better choice? I'm building a 408 street/strip set-up and have been looking very heavily into this intake. The LSx isn't as good as the LS6 intake due to it's tendancy to leak some.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Talking

I would really love to see NosboySS build off of something like this (below) and some sheet metal or aluminum and fab a cowl scoop or just direct the factory hood scoops and block the under hood air.

IMO it would look sick to have this functional engine plate out of aluminum directing fresh incoming air right down the throat of the TB.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I posted this in external engine but figure this is as good of a place as any especially on this discussion:

How do you port match a victor Jr intake to heads on an LS1. It uses orings instead of a gasket so I cant gasket match it.

Whats the trick you smart guys use?

Should I just buy a piece of gasket material and cut out the ports on the heads? Or is there some other trick to this?

Also how much "smoothing" of the runners should someone do? Just knock off the cast bumps? Is there such a thing as "too smooth" on the intake runner?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NosboySS

I blame this!!!! I had to order it Anyone want some LT1 motors!?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I am sure if the intake flows 275 stock it will make more than the 280 worked.

But as I mentioned before if a test is done the steps must be made to split the difference the intake can shift with the stock mounting hardware and the intake and head ports are on, but that's just me. lol
Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Chris I think your Motor is a minni ver of John's minus the blower. If that Vic. Jr had a burst pannel it would almost pass! LOL

You should see how this thing is comming along! It is a work of art, expecaily for one of those "old school cars"

Last edited by HALLZ; 04-13-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks slow
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
How do you port match a victor Jr intake to heads on an LS1. It uses orings instead of a gasket so I cant gasket match it.

Should I just buy a piece of gasket material and cut out the ports on the heads? Or is there some other trick to this?

Also how much "smoothing" of the runners should someone do? Just knock off the cast bumps? Is there such a thing as "too smooth" on the intake runner?

Thanks
There are hard ways and easy ways! LOL (ask Nossboy)

Anyway with the heads on or off?

Either the template method (Heads on) using thin carboard or poster board. With the heads off you can also remove the valves and bolt the intake to the heads and spray from the CC.

That would be how I would do it if I had too
Old 04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

LOL....im glad I could help stevemilz

Hallz,,,,Im open to alot of ideas so that aluminum plate isnt out of the question. Just want to get it on a dyno and running right now
Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep us posted...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

HALLZ - can you explain that "template" method so I am making sure my thought process is in order? hahaha
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hellbents10
The tight LSA will come as a by-product of running the shorter runners.
Funny cause el shorto 3" LT1 runners have been based around 112-114 LSA's for years.... it's not what works the best there either.

Runner length and LSA don't correlate at all.

Bret
Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 PM

Guys, If it's not on topic and advanced technical keep it out of this thread. If you have questions on other people setups that aren't directly related to this thread, PM the person.

This forum is to speak to advanced tech. Thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

so has anybody flowed a well ported victor by itself? did i miss something are these intakes not good? LME is suppose to port mine to match my et240s. I am kinda confused
Old 04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
so has anybody flowed a well ported victor by itself? did i miss something are these intakes not good? LME is suppose to port mine to match my et240s. I am kinda confused
It is a bit confusing. I don't think anyone is saying it is a bad intake though. From what I gather so far, is the intake needs to be ported out of the box before it performs decent. You should have a cam with a 106-108 LSA. It's best used on bigger cubes. I believe there is one other person with a 383 that had track results of the swap and I believe he matched his E.T. and trap.

Ricks results on my car speak for them selves. Out of box results between the Vic Jr and 90/90 with everything else being equal, both dyno tuned, the 90/90 out performs the Vic Jr/accufab setup in this scenario.

what I'm thinking myself is even if I do port the intake and swap the cam, it may only get me back to the same numbers I had with the 90/90 setup if I'm lucky. Maybe our mistake was trying to compare the manifolds. This is where I need to consider if it's worth it.

Dan
Old 04-06-2006, 10:20 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Funny cause el shorto 3" LT1 runners have been based around 112-114 LSA's for years.... it's not what works the best there either.

Runner length and LSA don't correlate at all.

Bret
You just had to tell that, didn't you?

Quick Reply: vic Jr versus Standard intake question....