Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

vic Jr versus Standard intake question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
I've done some tests on the out of the box intake elbows like the Wilson 110° and it only hurt flow thru the intake and head by 3cfm. With some porting and a 1" spacer that is basically gone.

Bret

The wilson style elbow doesn't look too bad since its pretty nicely transitioned with a relatively gentle radius. I'm more worried about the sheetmetal elbows that are coming out to 'fit under the cowl' since thats a pretty harsh turn.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree.

Bret
Old 04-12-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stang90gt50
On this test that this topic started on, is the motor a 346" ? what cubic inch was this test done on?? (I think its been asked like 4 times already)
My specs were in my sig all along .

Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HALLZ

Chris I think your Motor is a minni ver of John's minus the blower. If that Vic. Jr had a burst pannel it would almost pass! LOL

You should see how this thing is comming along! It is a work of art, expecaily for one of those "old school cars"

Hey, those are the same heads i have on my 'Fueler. Whose car is this in teh picks, and where are they out of? It looks familiar.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

just for info, I swapped from a 90/90 to the vic jr AND SD tuning on my 408 M6 with a 246/250 cam. I have the cam card at home, but cant' remember any of the valve events off hand.

I gained 7rwhp peak and lost almost nothing down low. the graphs almost laid over eachother perfectly. mine setup is basically identical to NosBoySS's. same TB and everything.

the track has shown the same thing. et/mph is the same within .1

this is UNPORTED. I did not realize how badly this intake apparently needs ported. I will have it port matched and see what gains I get. I will also order a new cam specifically for the new intake and see what happens. I definately see the same thing with how much the intake can move when you are installing it though. some kind of a shoulder bolt is a great idea.

also, I had 'heard' from threads on here that this intake flows in the 380 range. if its only 275, thats pretty damn dissapointing.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have to think, the thing is not getting much air like that, and the air it IS getting is hot turbulent air from having to make that turn to enter the throttlebody...do you have an IAT hooked up? ANd what does it read? Put an old blow through carb type deal on the throttlebody with some hose to reach to cooler air and see what happens.

David
Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383ss
just for info, I swapped from a 90/90 to the vic jr AND SD tuning on my 408 M6 with a 246/250 cam. I have the cam card at home, but cant' remember any of the valve events off hand.

I gained 7rwhp peak and lost almost nothing down low. the graphs almost laid over eachother perfectly. mine setup is basically identical to NosBoySS's. same TB and everything.

the track has shown the same thing. et/mph is the same within .1

this is UNPORTED. I did not realize how badly this intake apparently needs ported. I will have it port matched and see what gains I get. I will also order a new cam specifically for the new intake and see what happens. I definately see the same thing with how much the intake can move when you are installing it though. some kind of a shoulder bolt is a great idea.

also, I had 'heard' from threads on here that this intake flows in the 380 range. if its only 275, thats pretty damn dissapointing.

I've been following your progress pretty closely, because I think we pretty much have the same set-up as far as engines. Have you figured out a way to port this thing correctly to your heads yet? Has anyone?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

on its own, it may flow 380, but throw it on a head and you have a crazy mismatch at that interface.

I *think* I picked up alot with a simple quick portmatch. My mph at the track indicated an approximate hp and I put it on the dyno after the port work and it did pretty darn well...hard to speculate since my last combo was exclusively on a dynojet and my recent dyno pulls were on a mustang....but it made about the same power on the mustang than on the dynojet...implying a reasonable increase...

Cam choice is crucial....I tried a popular cam and it required a significant phase shift for it to reasonably work.

Sorry that I'm being so vague, but we are still experimenting to figure out what cam it wants
Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SShark
I've been following your progress pretty closely, because I think we pretty much have the same set-up as far as engines. Have you figured out a way to port this thing correctly to your heads yet? Has anyone?
I made a template of a port and ran the intake box stock for a while. The overlap period of the cam caused a stain on the intake that was the shape of the head port. I verified with my port template and simply portmatched to the "stain"
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

I know I haven't posted up any updates on my track times in a while, last time out I broke my driveshaft with a new set of slicks launching on the 1st pass. I'll be back out tomorrow night hoping for 10.30's.

for porting, I'm sure any competent head porting guy knows how to port match an intake. I don't know how to, but thats why I pay him
Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fireball
I made a template of a port and ran the intake box stock for a while. The overlap period of the cam caused a stain on the intake that was the shape of the head port. I verified with my port template and simply portmatched to the "stain"

Thats a really good idea! Could you please keep me updated on your progress to, as far as cam selection, increase in HP and torque etc... I'm learning to about this intake and any info would be helpful.
Thanks, SShark
Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 383ss
I know I haven't posted up any updates on my track times in a while, last time out I broke my driveshaft with a new set of slicks launching on the 1st pass. I'll be back out tomorrow night hoping for 10.30's.

for porting, I'm sure any competent head porting guy knows how to port match an intake. I don't know how to, but thats why I pay him
Be sure to post your times when you can!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a really good idea! Could you please keep me updated on your progress to, as far as cam selection, increase in HP and torque etc... I'm learning to about this intake and any info would be helpful.
Thanks, SShark
Unfortunately, I'm betting the cam designer I'm working with will want to keep the final cam results quiet....

we definately can say that wide lobe separations are not what you want and the IVC point is pretty crucial to set your powerband
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fireball
Unfortunately, I'm betting the cam designer I'm working with will want to keep the final cam results quiet....

we definately can say that wide lobe separations are not what you want and the IVC point is pretty crucial to set your powerband
Who are you using? I have a SR 408 @14:1 compression and the Victor Jr and I may swap the cam out if he figures something out just to see how she does. Cam swaps are cake.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Geoff @ Thunder
Old 04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Roger thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a new cam on order now...should be up and running soon. Worried that I may have to pull the heads for more flycutting though since I'm doing something off the wall
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM
10 Second Club

I also have a new cam on the way from EDC. should have it installed and dyno'd in a few weeks. I'll post results.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

I had a minor setback on my motor and had to pull it sunday, but itll be running by the end of the week. Never even had dyno time either I would like to PM you other Vic jr guys with my new cam specs and get some input. If you dont mind that it is?

BTW, The "awww" factor with this intake under your hood is priceless.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NosboySS
I had a minor setback on my motor and had to pull it sunday, but itll be running by the end of the week. Never even had dyno time either I would like to PM you other Vic jr guys with my new cam specs and get some input. If you dont mind that it is?

BTW, The "awww" factor with this intake under your hood is priceless.
I agree

Quick Reply: vic Jr versus Standard intake question....