Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Nice intake manifold... - The ITB thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rons 00z
just a FYI guys my cam is a 247 252 @108lsa in a 383 lingenfelter CNC heads 11.2:1 SCR and it has the harrop 52mm intake. the cars idles fine at 900rpm and only bucks from 1k rpm to 1.5krpm in first gear. ******* car is almost like stock but pulls like a raped ape.
Do you have any pictures? What did you end up doing for filtration?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Do you have any pictures? What did you end up doing for filtration?
i just took these.

as you can see i have about a blond **** hair of room to work with. i had to chop that plate thing off since harrop wanted to charge me 1k for new air horns that were separate. so i said **** it and hacked away. now i have alot more room to work with but not enough to use a regular filter like the singles that are 4 inches long from K&N. i did find something thats like a screen with a foam deal that goes over the tip but it's like $20 a pop so i'm really putting that off. heres the link to the only thing that looks like might work.

http://www.hilborninjection.com/prod...=363&CatId=132
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You have a multiple thousands of dollar intake, a vacuum pump, and your letting $20x8 hold you up?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinlser has some SS screens for theirs, check into them.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

i just took these.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...z/P7290006.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...z/P7290007.jpg

as you can see i have about a blond **** hair of room to work with. i had to chop that plate thing off since harrop wanted to charge me 1k for new air horns that were separate. so i said **** it and hacked away. now i have alot more room to work with but not enough to use a regular filter like the singles that are 4 inches long from K&N. i did find something thats like a screen with a foam deal that goes over the tip but it's like $20 a pop so i'm really putting that off. heres the link to the only thing that looks like might work.

That's one hell of a setup you have there. Those filters look pretty cool. I'm going to keep those in mind.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I plan on starting on making my own setup really soon. I already bought two sets of 2007 GSXR 750 throttle bodies. I forgot to measure the first set of shafts, but each runner tapers down to the back throttle bodies which are 42mm. They also have two sets of injectors in them. I'd like to leave the back set and use it with a stand alone fuel cell to control a dry direct port. Here's some pictures:
I agree with the above post that those are too small. I'd look for something between 50-55MM. You find a lot of stuff derived from carbs to be around 42MM as that seemed to be about the limit for good signal for a carb.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
8-50mm diameter tb's= 15705 sq. mm. surface area of throttle body.

1-105mm tb = 8654 sq.mm. surface area.

So the ITBs have a little less than twice the throttle blade surface area. Maybe that's why ITBs outflow a beck intake and tb.

In a ITB setup, each cylinder gets its own air supply. This means that each cylinder creates its own vacuum, and 1 cylinder doesn't suck on the supply of another cylinder. Maybe this raises the deltaP, because the air on the outside of the valve(in the intake runner) isn't being sucked(causing a low pressure) by another cylinder. This keeps the deltaP higher than it would be with a traditional single tb setup, and we all know a higher deltaP moves more air into the cylinder.

This make any sense to anyone?
Already covered in this thread... See post 11...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=11

Originally Posted by racer7088
Originally Posted by racer7088
The independent runner stuff with the small independent throttles before each port with the constantly pressurized near 100 kpa "mega plenum of the world" above those same little throttle bodies are just less affected by the exhaust reversion that affects a plenum car worse since the whole intake system on these setups is at very low pressure and the exhaust is at such a higher pressure. The exhaust reversion can and does fill up the whole plenum behind the central TB or carb and the whole runner of each cylinder with exhaust diluted air that causes the repeated and erratic misfiring that we hear as the cool loping sound some people love so much.

With enough overlap the IR systems will also lope too and turn black under those cute little throttle bodies from idling with all the same vacuum under them when they are closed and idling but they have less of the total runner to become as contaminated since the higher pressure is close at hand right above them and in the rest of the runner. You will sometimes, with really big cams in these systems see the exhaust and regular reversion in the form of standoff above the runners with some of them at lower engine speeds.

Also when you crack the throttle instead of an entire manifold plenum having to pressurize up slowly instead, now the port sees full atmosheric pressure and density basically almost instantaneously so the throttle response is WAY better. In fact some people need a progressive linkage or it's too jerky for them! Also just realize that Australians ARE crazy and they all drive cars with blowers and NOS and have mohawks. They also like cubic inches in a lot of their racing and RWD but that's finally coming back to the USA too as people here have had their fill of the FWD crap.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I agree with the above post that those are too small. I'd look for something between 50-55MM. You find a lot of stuff derived from carbs to be around 42MM as that seemed to be about the limit for good signal for a carb.
Will they be too small even with the taper to increase velocity? I still need to measure the inlet side's diameter.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freaking georgius....but $3400 for an intake...wtf...better you than me..
Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will they be too small even with the taper to increase velocity? I still need to measure the inlet side's diameter.
Yes, even with the taper you lack the cross sectional area to support the CFM the motor needs. I don't want to sound like an *** but I quite honestly wouldn't be suprised if it lost power over a stock intake on a stock LS1. I know that's a bit harsh but I hate to see people waste more money than they have to. Letting you know about these shortcomings now will save you a bunch of time and heartache.

I've been looking quite a bit at home-built ITB setups for a while and it seems like on healthy honda motors (300+ cfm at less than full lift, lots of RPM and big cams) Hayabusa throttles seem to be the only ones that don't loose 20+hp up top. Yeah, they gain a bunch in the mid range but drop off early.

When I was looking at making an ITB setup for my car I was going to use IIRC Acura Integra LS throttle bodies as I believe they're 55mm stock and can be had for pennies.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
You have a multiple thousands of dollar intake, a vacuum pump, and your letting $20x8 hold you up?
it's not really holding me up it's just not a main priority at the time. for example i have to buy a mount to hold the radiator so everyone quits making fun of me about the safety wire radiator mod lol
Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
Yes, even with the taper you lack the cross sectional area to support the CFM the motor needs. I don't want to sound like an *** but I quite honestly wouldn't be suprised if it lost power over a stock intake on a stock LS1. I know that's a bit harsh but I hate to see people waste more money than they have to. Letting you know about these shortcomings now will save you a bunch of time and heartache.

I've been looking quite a bit at home-built ITB setups for a while and it seems like on healthy honda motors (300+ cfm at less than full lift, lots of RPM and big cams) Hayabusa throttles seem to be the only ones that don't loose 20+hp up top. Yeah, they gain a bunch in the mid range but drop off early.

When I was looking at making an ITB setup for my car I was going to use IIRC Acura Integra LS throttle bodies as I believe they're 55mm stock and can be had for pennies.
I'll have to check out those integra throttle bodies then.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by J-Rod

I had dual 48mm Carbs on my Honda VTR and it was a bear to tune. I believe they were the biggest carbs used on a Honda ever.

The biggest TBs you'll find on motorcycles these days are usually on the V-Twins. If someone insists on running MC TBs check Ducati and other sport V-Twin engines.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Early model RC51s had 54mm TBs and went to 62mm Tbs with the SP2 iirc.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

That does look badass.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So.........it seems I'm late to this thread. Would it be possible to get a list going of all the companies making ITB's for the LS ??

Because I have noticed that some of the links to "said" companies making these is ITB's are dead....

Thanks.........

Harrop
Higgins
Hocking
Jenvey
Kinsler
..??

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 09-01-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
So.........it seems I'm late to this thread. Would it be possible to get a list going of all the companies making ITB's for the LS ??

Because I have noticed that some of the links to "said" companies making these is ITB's are dead....

Thanks.........

Harrop
Higgins
Hocking
Jenvey
Kinsler
..??
Add OBX to that list with a Jenvey knock off all over ebay for $1300. Almost worth a shot just for the nice cast runners; assuming the TB's themselves are typical "ebay quality".
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Only issue with that OBX unit is I don't see any throttle linkage, or a map sensor anywhere much less some kind of IAC stepper device.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
I had dual 48mm Carbs on my Honda VTR and it was a bear to tune. I believe they were the biggest carbs used on a Honda ever.
Biggest carb to ever be fitted to a production japanese motorcycle. I had a 2002.

I still have a 2001 SP1 with 52mm and the SP2 has 62mm.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just took these.

Old post but thats awesome!

Quick Reply: Nice intake manifold... - The ITB thread