Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Nice intake manifold... - The ITB thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Sam at Sam's Performance built them. Now he buys the Harrop unit as it is just a lot easier than building stuff himself.
I know it would be much easier to order the harrop, but for someone looking to take on a major project with plenty of time what all would be involved with fabricating something like this? Not to mention save some $$$.

What would be the ideal tb size for lets say a h/c 346? I know Harrop has the 52 and 55mm versions available. What would be done with the sensors, TPS and MAP? What would be some ideas for adapting an efficient filtering system without restricting flow and still maintaining adaquate clearance?

Things I've noticed in random order.
1. Fabricating the plates for the tbs and adaptors to mate to the intake ports
2. Drilling and tapping for injectors
3. Fabricating adapters for the tbs to intake ports
4. Fabricating throttle linkage
5. Moving sensors

I know I'm missing a bunch here and would really appreciate serious help. Hopefully we can avoid people saying, "If you have to ask than you can't do it." Just trying to learn here.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since Harrop designs the intakes to work on an LSX, im guessin it incorportates those sensors into the design.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
since Harrop designs the intakes to work on an LSX, im guessin it incorportates those sensors into the design.
Yes, it does. The harrop has provisions for all the sensors/vacum lines/ and even stock fuel connectors. The only thing that won't work is a MAF, obviouslly.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

I could look at pictures of these things all day long.

http://www.verycoolparts.com/Stack.htm
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
beast do you have a pic of your engine bay with the harrop on it? I'm curious hwo that fits in the f body.
Nope, it's still sittin on the kitchen table. I'm wippin a broke *** right now, but the old lady just went back to work. I should be back on track shortly.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
My question is for all of the type of new intake manifolds. How do you tune to use them? Obviously you have to go speed density since you don't have a single mass airflow sensor, but do you still have a MAP (manifold pressure sensor) since you have individual throttles and not a common intake chamber?
There is still a common tube that connects all the cylinders that runs along the bottom of the intake. All the sensors work. This includes MAP, IAC, and TPS.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When you get that intake on the car, please take pic's, one reason I never considered it as an option was beacuase of the very good chance that it wasn't gonna fit on the f body due to teh cowl.. if you have no probels fitting it on with the air filter ***'y, I think I'll ahve to rethink that as a possible future option again.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

When you get that intake on the car, please take pic's, one reason I never considered it as an option was beacuase of the very good chance that it wasn't gonna fit on the f body due to teh cowl..
I'm deffinatlly gunna take pics through the process. I'll be posting a write up on it as well. I have to do all this for Harrop anyway since they are awaiting my fitment results as well. I don't see a problem fitting the intake alone under the cowl.

if you have no probels fitting it on with the air filter ***'y, I think I'll have to rethink that as a possible future option again.
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Harrop air ***'y sucks ***. Dyno results givin to me by Harrop show the filter boxes knocking the power all the way back to FAST 90 levels. I ordered my intake with no boxes and no plate to attach the boxes to. I plan to figure out filtering once I see how much room is left under the hood. I figure I can come up with something better, but I'll have to see what room will allow.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[IMG][/IMG]

That is the kinsler.com manifold. The car idles fine.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

sorry for the off topic reply, but...

argon, you have anymore pics of the progress on the car? i kept up with it for awhile but i havent seen anything since the body mock-up...PLEASSSSSSSSEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/569385-pictures-completed-autocross-race-street-car.html
Old 10-14-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 383ss
any idea if Harrop plans to make one compatible with L92 or LS7 heads?
I'd like to know this also...specifically, LS2/L92 compatibility.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:45 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know they are working on a LS7 model. L92 I doubt they would even think about doing it now. They are largely unproved and I guess if we do eventually see one it will be much later from now.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I look at it, a standard intake setup on a large side for the ls1/2/6/7 setup is 90mm feeding 8 cylinders. An ITB setup is 45+ feeding each cylinder. That would make the VE of each cylinder roughly 2x better. Nothing bad could possibly come of that
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

Not quite. The VE of a cylinder has to do with every component of airflow, including the filter, the pre throttle blade tract, the throttle blade itself, the lower intake tract, then the all-important cylinder head. Furthermore, you have to realize that in the stock application, you aren't getting air for all 8 cylinders through a 90mm throttle body simoultaneously. You are realistically just flowing enough air for one, maybe 2 cylinders at max at any one time through the main throttle body. If all 8 were to have identically timed intake events, you'd get just under 8cm^2 per cylinder, which isn't exactly performance inspiring when a 52mm ITB setup gives you over 21cm^2.

That being said, this is sorta off from the ITB thing, but I've got a question. GM has alsways been good about using a decently sized throttle body for stock outputs and applications. So how do they justify using the same sized throttle body on a 400hp, 6/0l, 6500rpm motor as on a 505hp, 7.0l, 7000rpm motor? Seems to me the 90 is way oversized for the LS2, or the 90 is a serious restriction for the LS7.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'd like to know this also...specifically, LS2/L92 compatibility.
I believe the Harrop is going to become less desirable now that they have increased their pricing. They increased the price about $1500 USD over there already high pricing. Pricing for the intake is about $4350 USD, plus about $400 to ship it to the US now. It wasn't really desirable before, but now it really isn't.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

if somebody is really considering an ITB setup, they could probably have one fabbed for close to or less than 4750
Old 10-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
if somebody is really considering an ITB setup, they could probably have one fabbed for close to or less than 4750
Probably.

I am into mine about $1400, and it is not nearly complete, and is for a V6. This thing better add more power than a GT35r, because it's costing just as much. For those who care to look, mine came from TWM Induction.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

On these the "cross ram" design appears superious in my eyes due to:

1. Longer runner length, even the highest RPM apps on pushrods like 6-8" minimum of runner in the manifold.
2. Intake is a continiuos extensionof head. On these designs the runner manifold direction and taper is preserved, there are no bends, change in taper at head to manifold interface.

Should work well.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by manolis
An ITB without throttle valves inside, for extreme flow capacity.
The intake valves do the throttling.
The engine works from 300 rpm to 9000 rpm.
More cheap than anything known (zero cost).

Initially the original plenum was left untouched, only the throttle valve was thrown away:

Then the plenum was sliced to result an efficient ITB

And removing the air filter

Just after cutting

Applying the pushrod VVA on an LSx engine, see relevant thread, a cheap trumpet set can easily overflow any ITB.

For more: http://www.pattakon.com

Manolis Pattakos
Well then... how does this work? I mean, how is the engine throttled? Do you still employ a TPS and fool the computer into thinking there's a TB?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Guys, I have one of these installed with a full custom cowl hood design on my 408 in my GTO. Its a beautiful piece of art, I would have dyno numbers by now but one of my heads had a hole in it and is currently being replaced. So hopefully within the next few weeks I can get some numbers up for everyone. There is a US distributor for these now so you don't have to buy them through Harrop but they aren't a sponsor on this board. And yes, the pricing shipped to your door is still right around $4k the US dollar has taken a dive in the last 6 months raising the price by almost $500.

Quick Reply: Nice intake manifold... - The ITB thread