Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

what allows an engine to spin to 8,000+ rpms, and stay together for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
You just need to get out more. There all over the place down here. You can only learn so much hanging out on internet forums.

NRE is just one of those builders that build just that type pf car. Minus the parts hauler.

oh, i know they're out there....

i just like making it hard on myself.. lol.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just a matter of proper balancing and good parts? Can it safely be made to spin 9,000 rpm? What will ultimately limit how many rpm's it can safely go. Shorter stroke? I'm going 4.155 bore, I could go with a 4.100 stroke...445ci or a 4.00 stroke for a 434....if it will ultimately make more power due to the higher rpm's allowed.

Key words hear.....SAFELY and LONG LASTING.

I want the LS7 blocked 447ci with a 250 progressive shot that I'm having built to spin HIGH but remain reliable. It'll have a Lunati crank, Manley rods and Wiseco pistons. I'm just on the fence whether or not to go solid roller for more peak HP. 50-180mph runs ONLY, no track visits.

I have about 2-3 weeks to make the decision.

I don't need to hear that a solid roller set-up is going to require more expensive heads/parts, I already know that.

Theres companies out now that are making rev kits to keep these cars hydraulic roller. You could use them in conjunction with the new GM lifters and see 8500 safely. The rev kits are helping stabilize the valvetrain in high RPm applications for those who dont want to run solid roller setups.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Theres companies out now that are making rev kits to keep these cars hydraulic roller. You could use them in conjunction with the new GM lifters and see 8500 safely. The rev kits are helping stabilize the valvetrain in high RPm applications for those who dont want to run solid roller setups.
The hydraulic cams you're talking about safely reving to 8000+ are doing it with low lift cams that can survive 24 hours of Lemans, not the XER, cam motion, LSK, and other associated aggresive lobes we have. I wouldn't rev a hydraulic roller over 7500 if you want it to be reliable with the typical cams the LSX crowd runs.

Another thing you dont take into consideration is oiling at those rpm's. A typical wet sump system isn't going to get the job done and dry sumps are pricey.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Is it just a matter of proper balancing and good parts? Can it safely be made to spin 9,000 rpm? What will ultimately limit how many rpm's it can safely go. Shorter stroke? I'm going 4.155 bore, I could go with a 4.100 stroke...445ci or a 4.00 stroke for a 434....if it will ultimately make more power due to the higher rpm's allowed.

Key words hear.....SAFELY and LONG LASTING.

I want the LS7 blocked 447ci with a 250 progressive shot that I'm having built to spin HIGH but remain reliable. It'll have a Lunati crank, Manley rods and Wiseco pistons. I'm just on the fence whether or not to go solid roller for more peak HP. 50-180mph runs ONLY, no track visits.

I have about 2-3 weeks to make the decision.

I don't need to hear that a solid roller set-up is going to require more expensive heads/parts, I already know that.

You need to give us a realistic set of goals for power requirements and how long you need it to last between builds for us to help you man. Just saying you want to spin your motor to 9000 rpms because it makes more hp up there is ridiculous. Especially when you say you want it to be reliable.

Determine your end goals and then work back to determine what it's going to take to get there.

Nate
Old 10-31-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
You need to give us a realistic set of goals for power requirements and how long you need it to last between builds for us to help you man. Just saying you want to spin your motor to 9000 rpms because it makes more hp up there is ridiculous. Especially when you say you want it to be reliable.

Determine your end goals and then work back to determine what it's going to take to get there.

Nate
The best engine for roll races....non-FI......50-180mph.....sprayed with a progressive shot, probably 300 hp shot........thats it. The choice of block is a done deal...447ci or 434ci...LS7 sleeved block. Bore will be 4.155 and stroke will either be 4.125 or 4.000.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

How long do you need the motor to last?

Nate
Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

How long do you need the motor to last?

Nate
2 years is fine.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Nate,

I guess I just need to have another badass stroker engine built and spray it and it'll be just fine.

The builder I'm using built my friend in West Palm a 422ci (535 RWHP, N/A), 3 1/2 years ago that he's been spraying a 300 shot (850 RWHP) for the past year and the engine is still perfect. All he does is roll races and he kills everything he races.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

Nate,

I guess I just need to have another badass stroker engine built and spray it and it'll be just fine.

The builder I'm using built my friend in West Palm a 422ci (535 RWHP, N/A), 3 1/2 years ago that he's been spraying a 300 shot (850 RWHP) for the past year and the engine is still perfect. All he does is roll races and he kills everything he races.

I'd do the same thing with as many cubes as possible, but just wouldnt get crazy with the rpm. RPM kills parts longevity plus the added cost and complexity of a dry sump and solid roller (i am sure you're familiar with) just adds to the package. Spin it to no more than 7500 rpms with a well thought out hydraulic roller valvetrain and you should have no problem going for 2+ years.

Might want to contact Greg Fell for info regarding the guy who ported his LS7 heads/intake combo. They put up some ridiculous numbers on the flow bench (like 360 through the intake). Just a suggestion if you don't have a topend in mind yet.

Nate
Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd do the same thing with as many cubes as possible, but just wouldnt get crazy with the rpm. RPM kills parts longevity plus the added cost and complexity of a dry sump and solid roller (i am sure you're familiar with) just adds to the package. Spin it to no more than 7500 rpms with a well thought out hydraulic roller valvetrain and you should have no problem going for 2+ years.

Might want to contact Greg Fell for info regarding the guy who ported his LS7 heads/intake combo. They put up some ridiculous numbers on the flow bench (like 360 through the intake). Just a suggestion if you don't have a topend in mind yet.

Nate
The guy thats going to build it ports LS7 heads and gets 392 cfm @ .650 lift. I am using a dry sump oil system. Greg is actually contacting my guy for some info and insight.

Yeah, the top end is gonna be LS7 heads and a sheet metal intake (Hogan or Beck) or the Harrop. Beck is $2,000 with Billet fuel rails fit and matched for the LS7 heads by Beck. No need to use an LS7 intake and hold back the LS7 heads. And a 105 mm TB.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

The guy thats going to build it ports LS7 heads and gets 392 cfm @ .650 lift. I am using a dry sump oil system. Greg is actually contacting my guy for some info and insight.

Yeah, the top end is gonna be LS7 heads and a sheet metal intake (Hogan or Beck) or the Harrop. Beck is $2,000 with Billet fuel rails fit and matched for the LS7 heads by Beck. No need to use an LS7 intake and hold back the LS7 heads. And a 105 mm TB.

We're on the same page with the 105mm TB but as for the flow numbers I was referring to the intake/heads flowed together at 360. I'm sure you could definitely improve upon that with the sheet metal stuff though if your head guy is getting 390 cfm out of em.

Keep us updated on your build, should be interesting considering setups like this are few and far between.

Nate
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

We're on the same page with the 105mm TB but as for the flow numbers I was referring to the intake/heads flowed together at 360. I'm sure you could definitely improve upon that with the sheet metal stuff though if your head guy is getting 390 cfm out of em.

Keep us updated on your build, should be interesting considering setups like this are few and far between.

Nate
I know, thats what I mean when I say, "why use an LS7 intake?" It'll be the weak link in the system. If Gregs guy is flowing intake and heads together and only getting 360 cfm, thats wasting 32 cfm from the LS7 heads flow. That equates to about 40-45 hp. The Harrop outflows the LS7 intake big time so we can use every cfm possible from the heads.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

The hydraulic cams you're talking about safely reving to 8000+ are doing it with low lift cams that can survive 24 hours of Lemans, not the XER, cam motion, LSK, and other associated aggresive lobes we have. I wouldn't rev a hydraulic roller over 7500 if you want it to be reliable with the typical cams the LSX crowd runs.

Another thing you dont take into consideration is oiling at those rpm's. A typical wet sump system isn't going to get the job done and dry sumps are pricey.
I dont care what lift you put on it...You can have LSk lobes with this rev kit as long as the valves will clear the pistons and the good parts are used in the valvetrain 8000+ wont be a problem.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

I think its ok to post a link but here's a link of a rev kit from comp: http://www.compcams.com/catalog/289.html I think this is what your talking about?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
I think its ok to post a link but here's a link of a rev kit from comp: http://www.compcams.com/catalog/289.html I think this is what your talking about?
Yes very similar..Ill get some pics of it in the next few days to show you the LS1 style.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 67 tempest

on any build (of equal or the same block) more displacement is the cheaper and more reliable way to go for more horse power and torque. it is also more street friendly. with high rpm engines rotating mass is the enemy. i'd go with displacement.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Yes very similar..Ill get some pics of it in the next few days to show you the LS1 style.
We're still waiting for the details on this 8000 RPM rev kit.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik at hke built my bottom end and jeff @ performance specualties in Md built the top . we turn 8K + threw the traps and its holding nicely.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 429 Mustang
Sorry...I dont take my camera with me when I go to the shop...THey do a lot of Nascar R&D and that stuff isnt to be leaked out. Ill see if he willbring the rev kit home away from the shop to take pics of.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 429 Mustang
? 8,000 should not be a problem , the lsx motor is new to me but we get 8500 rpm out of an iron block 355 with iron heads and +13:1 compression. the crank would have to be changed and some bottom end work

Quick Reply: what allows an engine to spin to 8,000+ rpms, and stay together for a long time