Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Prove/Disprove this theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006 | 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dynocar
Then we get into a similar question, "why does the furnace usually fail the coldest day ot the winter"?
Freezer just died, on the only week it's supposed to be above freezing...
Old 12-10-2006 | 01:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dynocar
Having witnessed many engine "blowups" on dynos, a little more scientific, for the past 20 yrs, I have never seen one "make the most power right before it blows", unless someone tweeked it for more power that caused it. Then we get into a similar question, "why does the furnace usually fail the coldest day ot the winter"? Usually an engine makes less power then due to increased friction from a bearing, piston or ring starting to sieze, often giving plenty of advanced notice which was ignored.
Well I run a engine dynamometer for a living, and I can say for sure I have seen engines pick power before they expired. I had one engine break a crankshaft, it picked up about 5 ftlbs of torque right before the crankshaft broke. I was lucky to catch the power and rpm drop(rear bearing taking a dump which caused the crankshaft to break) and killed the power to the dyno right then. Weird things happen REALLY quickly, this is where experience and quick thinking are a plus.
Old 12-11-2006 | 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda like a light bulb gettin really bright before it goes POOF!

-john
Old 12-11-2006 | 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

It's the aliens. They own the principals of physics
They are solely responsible for the mental interpertation of more power just before the end
When they want it back.... they just take it w/out warning

Myth sovled-

Quick Reply: Prove/Disprove this theory