Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

new valve design.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new valve design.

what the hell are these all about? looks crazy. anyone care to expand on it? suggestions idea's theorys

http://www.omnivalves.com/index.htm
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 528 Likes on 372 Posts

Hmm. Disturbing airflow around the valve and adding excess weight should really help power? WTF.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

IDK i thought it was impressive that they could drop idle so low with that rock climber. i figured i'd post it here since theres alot of brainiacs that could elaborate.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Banned

Snake oil salesman....
Old 11-23-2006, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Hhmmmm... I missed the 50 mpg. write-up.

I'm sure it's there.... somewhere.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
The know it all's know it all

To me it lookslike they are trying to close off the valve seat to reversion or backflow induced by the large camshafts. yes it would help with reversion but the wieght and the flow loss from such a large thick heavy valve has to be ungodly.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Ira
Teching In

Just the thing for an engine that has an RPM range from 400 to 2000, your lawnmower perhaps?

Ira
Old 11-23-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder what the weight of one of those valves is. Looks like you would need a mega spring to control them.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:09 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They were demostrating these valves at SEMA. They claim a their valve witha stock Ls1 spring is good to 6000. They had some dyno testing they had done. I'm not promoting them, but it was interesting. My only concern is that 'valve' and how it will last under extreme conditions.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you'd loose some clearence as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-Rod
They were demostrating these valves at SEMA. They claim a their valve witha stock Ls1 spring is good to 6000. They had some dyno testing they had done. I'm not promoting them, but it was interesting. My only concern is that 'valve' and how it will last under extreme conditions.

wow! i wonder how they get away with a stock spring. i also wonder how long it would last under hard conditions.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rons 00z
wow! i wonder how they get away with a stock spring. i also wonder how long it would last under hard conditions.
I was wondering this too. Would it be a bad assumption to think that the floating valve is essentially free weight?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Probably designed for low RPM you know idle to 6200RPM and no higher.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks for your interest in the OmniValve

Hello Everyone, thanks for talking about my baby, the OmniValve.

I really took interest in something that was said by Hammertime, about the ring being free wieght?

That is a really interesting thought and I must say something that we here at OmniValves have never thought of! So thank you HammerTime!

I will run that by our engineer and see what he has to say.

I am currently building an LS1 Motor that has the biggest lift valve we have ever made and the valve is 40% heavier then the stock valve. But with out the Ring it would only be about 25% heavier.

To this date we only run our omnivalve motor less then 6000 and have never had a problem.

The guy who is building our latest LS1 is in Chandler AZ and we will be testing it in January, we are going to do a full story on the motor from start to dyno and I will be posting it on the omnivalves.com web site.

In the mean time if any of you skeptics have any questions what so ever, well now is the time and this is the place to prove yourselfs right and to prove me wrong.......... So I look foward to all your questions.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all, from Mike and every one at www.omnivalves.com
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

There was a long thread about these valves on the VWvortex a couple of years ago. Are you the same guy who was on the Vortex?

Back then, the valves were said to have already been tested on Harley motors.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 528 Likes on 372 Posts

The skeptical consumer is always right until the marketer proves his product worthy of their dollars. This seems like an overcomplication of the valvetrain that only a Ducati affecionado could appreciate.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and have learned to live with certain driveability issues with high performance "street driven" vehicles. I won't spend 2x-3x the price of the conventional product to improve low RPM power, reduce emissions, and then in turn add even more weight to the valvetrain. 15% more than a standard valve is a lot to me. When you say the seat moves, so there isn't a seat installed in the head? Or there is, it's just modified to allow the valve to sit higher in the head? I didn't see enough pictures on the site to really get an understanding of the principle. The first thing that comes to my mind is weight and wear. Heavier valves/valvetrain equates to lower RPM capability, excessive camshaft lobe wear, reduced valve spring life, and the one that I'm most concerned with - how would the seats hold up to the constant beating of that valve slamming and bouncing off of the seat? And what about hot spots on the o.d of the valve? Not to mention the ptv clearance issues that are presented, high compression engines with small combustion chambers wouldn't benefit from a design as such. That's the last place I would add weight in the valvetrain. I don't see this product taking off in the OHV gas engine performance world. It seems to really benefit low RPM torque, idle, etc. It wouldn't benefit the higher RPM band, and has the potential to hurt a great deal. I could see it MAYBE getting some use in the diesel community where components aren't spinning nearly as fast, already weigh a ton and aren't concerned with unwanted detonation. Enthusiasts looking to build an engine that only turns to 6000 RPM, idles low, and is emissions friendly (if they exist) isn't going to spend that amount on a valve in my opinion. Enthusiasts building high effort engines aren't going to add weight to the valvetrain to help with low end torque. Money would be better spent towards a set of titanium valves.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Another thing is lower idle isn't always better. Especially when the said engine isn't designed to idle lower. Will this valve help maintain oil pressure at these reduced idle speeds? Accessories don't care about torque at the crank. Full charge on the alternator is at a certain RPM, water pump flow is at also affected by RPM obviously. So lower idle RPM isn't always good, and you also have to think about response off of idle.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Hello, And thanks again for the interest in omnivalves ......

First, two years ago, no that was not Omnivalves. We were making valves two years ago, but to my knowledge we were not online.

But the very first motor we did was a VW.....

As far as making the valve train more complicated, well that is not us!

The guys who are making valves more complicated is ........ Honda (vtec), Ford (VVT) and a dozen other auto makers ......... so you can say what you want but it is not omnivalves that make an engine more complicated. We only change the valve and the ignition timing, and really that is it!

Next, the seat moves, well the seat in the head doesn't move, the "omniring" moves, it is attached to the valve, but if you go to the web site you can see the valve, and the valve OmniRing.

Why is this valve a good idea, well, some people are interested in "dual purpose" use of the LS1, the want all the HP when they peg the throttle but they want to get 25 MPG, and they don't want that rocking idle they and many people want a "sleeper" sounding motor as well. And now, many people want engines that will pass emissions test without hurting the engines performance........... welcome to the future where you can get it all, www.omnivalves.com

Now, people are buying hybrids, why well, that is another matter, but they are buying them. By just changing the intake valves, in any motor, you can get the low end torque that you get from an electric motor in a hybrid.

In January, we are going to have a LS2 engine, 408 ci, with a radical cam. Just built and we are going to Dyno it and video it and post it on the Internet @ www.omnivalves.com

Please keep the questions coming, this is very new technology and it works great and so far we have not seen an obstacle we have not gotten around ........... So, we are excited.

Merry Christmas to you all, form everyone at omnivalves Mike
Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And just when I thought GM had come up with the world's most stupid valvetrain. I love new ideas, but this is a total crock. There's not one single claim on that site that makes any sense. Just goes to show you, PT Barnum was right!

Quick Reply: new valve design.