Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LSx head flow theory.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
With that in mind, why hasn't there been new developments in how port flow is measured? More precisely, why hasn't a flow bench been developed that simulates the "pulsing" and other factors of a working engine more accurately? It seems like that would narrow the gap between predicted results and actual results. Maybe there is. I'm not that knowledgeable about flow benches.
I think that soon enough, if not now, there will be enough computing power and technology to do a finite element model on a whole motor, so that we can predict the airflow thorugh the entire motor on a molecular level.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I think that soon enough, if not now, there will be enough computing power and technology to do a finite element model on a whole motor, so that we can predict the airflow thorugh the entire motor on a molecular level.
I think you'd be looking at computational fluid dynamics as opposed to finite element analysis, but either way...with more computing power comes a better understanding. Then again, those computer models are only as good as the person coding it in...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring an old one back to the top, but seems there is some good material here. A couple of questions...
Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
According to some of the porters that I have learned from, the air speed at specific areas in the port are more important than flow numbers.
I've read before about port speeds going sonic and disrupting airflow. I'm assuming (uh oh) reshaping those areas of the port with reducing local velocity in mind is the answer, thereby increasing net port flow. I think most of us hot rodders have mistakenly assumed that porting overall is about increasing velocity. Is it better to think of porting as balancing airflow throughout the port?
Originally Posted by treyz28
Engines are very dynamic. You have a ton of pressure waves/pulses, and NOTHING is linear in there. It isn't as simple as hooking a vacuum up to a pipe.
How close has 'wet flow' technology come to showing the virtues of quality airflow. Is this a viable alternative to standard dry bench numbers? Or are both methods merely representative of what is thought to occur with airflow as a whole?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you ask some good questions. You can go too small in cross section or too big. It is better to err on the small side of course, but it is best to get it right. Runner cross section has a lot to do with the overall car/engine combo. Small cubes, small cam, low rpm's, all lean you towards a small cc/high velocity runner. And vice versa. A short track car that needs a lot of acceleration out of a turn, an automatic street car (read a 346 Camaro with an automatic tranny), or a Comp Eliminator car that is hooked up solid all want a lot of velocity so the engine pulls up quick when the engine is grunted down. A car that is "traction challenged" can benefit from a larger lower velocity intake port. I've made circle track heads so small that the engine had too much power out of a turn and the driver couldn't control it and had to open them back up. Same thing happens with a drag car. Intake runner cross section is something that a head porter can use to tune the head to the car/engine combination to achieve better track times.

On wet flow...the most important thing that I have seen that improves things is unshrouding the intake valve. This has a twofold benefit. Unshrouding the intake valve improves fuel distribution in the chamber, and ups the flow volume as well. It's a win/win modification. I don't belive in swirl or rely on it in a performance application. To even get it you have to basically kill most of the flow coming off of the short turn so that the air column coming off the back side of the valve seat can be dominant and make a full turn around the cylinder without being hindered by the flow from the short turn. It is far better to put the air/fuel mixture into the chamber correctly in the first place so you don't have to rely on flow robbing drawbacks as swirl. Swirl is for a low rpm daily driver, not a high VE racing engine.

Last edited by Greg Good; 02-23-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

I've read before about port speeds going sonic and disrupting airflow. I'm assuming (uh oh) reshaping those areas of the port with reducing local velocity in mind is the answer, thereby increasing net port flow.
Let's see how well I've picked up on Head Porting. Maybe Dennis can check
over my reply.

For a given piston speed at a given RPM range, you will want to ensure the
port is flowing at the most efficient rate while keeping all areas of the port
turbulent/sonic free.

Start off with a scenario in which you have tuned the cylinder head to work
at 6500 RPM at a piston speed of xxx.x feet per second. All areas of the port
are flowing well and the cross section is acceptable for these depressions and
piston speeds.

Now, bump up the RPM to 7500 RPM. The piston speed is faster and the
port air speed should increase. If the cross section at any point in the port
causes flow to go sonic, the fix may be to enlarge the cross section at that
specific point to get the speed sub-sonic and pick up flow once again.
The solution may also include shaping the port to control turbulence.

Take that same head and put it back on a 6500 RPM peak. Piston speeds
are slower, and the port has changed in localized areas (cross section and/or
shape). The air speeds in those areas are not going to be comparable (likely slower) and
the engine may lose power, and lose E.T./MPH on the strip even though the port
has not gone turbulent, or sonic.

I guess the same adage applies:

"all parts of the motor must be tuned for the target RPM intended"

I hope that helps, and I hope my thoughts are accurate based on what I
have read.

Last edited by Adrenaline_Z; 02-24-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
Let's see how well I've picked up on Head Porting. Maybe Dennis can check
over my reply.

For a given piston speed at a given RPM range, you will want to ensure the
port is flowing at the most efficient rate while keeping all areas of the port
turbulent/sonic free.

Start off with a scenario in which you have tuned the cylinder head to work
at 6500 RPM at a piston speed of xxx.x feet per second. All areas of the port
are flowing well and the cross section is acceptable for these depressions and
piston speeds.

Now, bump up the RPM to 7500 RPM. The piston speed is faster and the
port air speed should increase. If the cross section at any point in the port
causes flow to go sonic, the fix may be to enlarge the cross section at that
specific point to get the speed sub-sonic and pick up flow once again.
The solution may also include shaping the port to control turbulence.

Take that same head and put it back on a 6500 RPM peak. Piston speeds
are slower, and the port has changed in localized areas (cross section and/or
shape). The air speeds in those areas are not going to be comparable (likely slower) and
the engine may lose power, and lose E.T./MPH on the strip even though the port
has not gone turbulent, or sonic.

I guess the same adage applies:

"all parts of the motor must be tuned for the target RPM intended"

I hope that helps, and I hope my thoughts are accurate based on what I
have read.
According to your logic, heads should be ported according to C.I. and intended rpm range. Seems to be heading in the right direction to me.

If you take a given head and increase the C.I beneath it, the port will go sonic and become turbulent at an earlier rpm. Correct??
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i agree.

i thought i knew stuff before reading this thread, but some of you are freakin' mechanical engineers. all i know is that you can't just throw high flowing heads and a monster cam on a short block and expect it to be right. there's only one head/cam/c.i.d. ratio that's right, and a billion wrong ones. seems like there should be a formula for figuring out the right head/cam combo for a given cubic inch. . . . .quench effect is where it's at....
Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
yeah i agree.

i thought i knew stuff before reading this thread, but some of you are freakin' mechanical engineers. all i know is that you can't just throw high flowing heads and a monster cam on a short block and expect it to be right. there's only one head/cam/c.i.d. ratio that's right, and a billion wrong ones. seems like there should be a formula for figuring out the right head/cam combo for a given cubic inch. . . . .quench effect is where it's at....
I'm sure there is one, but it would have to be on a sliding scale with rpm range figured in. It is all about airflow. From what I have been able to learn, at a given rpm the ci determines the amount of airflow required.

If the head choice were to remain static, a 346 would require more rpms to develop the same horsepower that a 427 does. The potential is there for the same hp, but the rest of the package must be optimized for the difference in displacement.

I am glad there are other people out there that understand this **** so I can just pay them
Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

If you take a given head and increase the C.I beneath it, the port will go sonic and become turbulent at an earlier rpm. Correct??
I don't know about that; I'm only going from literature and not practical
dyno testing, track trials, or flow bench data.

To answer that definitively would require all of the above and years of
hands-on.

If I were to guess based on everything being equal besides stroke, I would
think your statement is correct. With the faster piston speeds at lower RPM,
I would expect the port to go turbulent/sonic sooner. However, now you're
leaving the valve timing aspect on the table...ICL, IVC, valve lift and valve
train stability at lower RPM (improved).

With an increase in bore, there might be other variables which would change
even more such as valve (un)shrouding, air flow in and around the chamber,
quench ratio.

This is the point where I bow out gracefully and wait for the boys with the
million dollar labs and letters behind their names to step in.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I spoke to one of our sponsors today about head flow on the LS7 heads. He brought up what I thought to be some interesting points. He stated that the reason these heads back up beyond .650 is that the air is moving too fast and that it detachs from the port walls and starts tumbling and basically doesn't allow anymore air to enter the ports. He had some interesting ideas (at least to me), about how to improve the performance of the ls7's. What he proposed doing was to fill in the runner and then reshape it to provide the optimum path to the valve. He was of the opinion also that the valves were to big for cube motors that these motors were being installed on. On another note, he felt that the exhaust side was not the issue with these heads. He felt that it was very effiicient in the scavenging of the exhaust gases. He said that when a cam with a large amount of overlap was installed, the amount of air that was being just pumped through the engine and not being used to produce power was exceedingly high.

I am trying to understand what we talked about today. When he was explaining it to me I grasped what he was saying, but the more I think about it, the more I confuse myself I guess.

Is what i posted above something that is widely known? If it is please let me know.

If there are two things that are preached to us by the "wise ones " that post on here, they are:

1. when it comes to camshafts, bigger is not always better, and

2. when it comes to cylinder heads, Don't buy just based on flow numbers.

By saying that then, why do we and just about everyone else use head flow numbers to "rate" the power potential of heads?

If the guy I talked to today reads this, please don't take this as I am questioning what you told me. I am just trying to understand it better.
To expand a little bit on number 2 statement, realize that what he was saying is that port shape plays a more important role then flow numbers. It only takes 350cfm to make 700hp. Why others dont make the horsepower is simple. They arent utilizing the right valve events to fill the cylinder to its capacity. In other words, the combination of valvetrain and heads to camshaft is not optimized.

Every car has its own specific needs for that customers goals. You port and shape the ports to those needs and cam around the numbers.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
With that in mind, why hasn't there been new developments in how port flow is measured? More precisely, why hasn't a flow bench been developed that simulates the "pulsing" and other factors of a working engine more accurately? It seems like that would narrow the gap between predicted results and actual results. Maybe there is. I'm not that knowledgeable about flow benches.
Aside from being extremely expensive- people are generally retarded. You'd have to explain things to them, and most people just want simple answers to complicated questions, no necessarily the best or correct answers. Ref: Politics.

You'd basically need to put an MAF in the intake runner of a working engine if you wanted to take it to that level. And really... you can do that by putting it on the dyno if you want comparitive numbers.

Quick Reply: LSx head flow theory.