Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Clutch-by-wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch-by-wire

http://www.valeo.com/automotive-supp...ang/en/pid/868

Valeo, who is working on the previously discussed camless engine, is also developing a clutch-by-wire system. I personally think it would be great if well executed.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Is this like the system BMW already has. We were getting a M-6 but it was too much power for my wife, so we got the 650 I conv. instead. The M-6 has a system standard with their clutch so you don't have to push a pedal.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

They are somewhat alike...this system also uses a computer controlled clutch, but you still depress a clutch pedal and shift it like a normal manual transmission. Same idea as an electronic throttle body, no mechanical link from the pedal.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a good idea considering pedal pressure would stay light and constant, but the onlything that would come to mind is reliability in a performance driving environment. Also high holding capacity clutches.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:46 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The bmw unit is tough enough for 600 HP V-10 that redlines @ 13,500, so somebody must be doing something right. The guy on here that works at bmw told me you can set it for kill or for grandma. I think I would rather have the one with a pedal, but my wife is much younger and they didn't teach her a stick when she was growing up. She doesn't trust driving a stick on a car that costs that much.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

The bmw unit is tough enough for 600 HP V-10 that redlines @ 13,500, so somebody must be doing something right. The guy on here that works at bmw told me you can set it for kill or for grandma. I think I would rather have the one with a pedal, but my wife is much younger and they didn't teach her a stick when she was growing up. She doesn't trust driving a stick on a car that costs that much.

Which BMW V10 has 600 HP and goes to 13,500RPM? A BMW indy motor?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think a clutch by wire wouldn't work well at all in a performance car. How would you have any 'feel'? How would you slip the clutch when needed? Sure, for a BMW driven by the 'high maintenance soccer mom' it'd be great. But even the drive by wire throttle bodies I've driven leave something to be desired.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

I think it is a bad idea, just one more thing to break and drive up the cost of cars. If I had my way the only thing that would be computer controlled is the engine.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

i think id still rather have a cable clutch...

in theory a hydraulic clutch is a good idea, but look how often there are problems with them in various applications. clutch by wire could be a good system, i just see it as another opportunity for horrible design and implementation for some future sports car...
Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmod
http://www.valeo.com/automotive-supp...ang/en/pid/868

Valeo, who is working on the previously discussed camless engine, is also developing a clutch-by-wire system. I personally think it would be great if well executed.

Thoughts?
its a bit old news. i mean there have been LOADS of F1 style paddle shift boxs out and are evne available on VW golfs now!!!

the ferrarei system is now VERY good! increadaby fast change (in the 599GTB its qicker than the Enzo!!!) and not half as snatchy as they used to be. they are finally becoming a true manual alternative!!

thanks Chris.

PS. you can also buy a paddel shift system for bike sequential boxes!! very nice piece of kit using a elctromatic ram.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Watch for the 2008 M-6.

600 HP will be standard according to an advance notice sent to dealers.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Watch for the 2008 M-6.

600 HP will be standard according to an advance notice sent to dealers.

Ok maybe more HP, but I dont see 13500 RPM anytime soon.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

For a production car I think it would be a bad idea. Now for a aftermarket performance option if done right I think it could work. Just think if you could still have both a hyd or mech. connection to the clutch and then after the launch have a elec sylonoid disengage the clutch as soon as the shift lever starts to move to 2nd,3rd,4th. I think it cold be done pretty easy useing eaither elec or hyd assist and have it available only when you want it.

It would really halp out the novice stick driver in a raceing situation due to the fact it could help them powershift a lot easier. Just a idea.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'm aware of those systems. This one involves the driver as they still have to physically depress the clutch pedal and and shift manually. A computer, as in those other systems actually controls the clutch but the clutch dis-engagement is triggered by the depressing of the clutch and it won't re-engage until the driver has manually shifted into the next gear.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
its a bit old news. i mean there have been LOADS of F1 style paddle shift boxs out and are evne available on VW golfs now!!!

the ferrarei system is now VERY good! increadaby fast change (in the 599GTB its qicker than the Enzo!!!) and not half as snatchy as they used to be. they are finally becoming a true manual alternative!!

thanks Chris.

PS. you can also buy a paddel shift system for bike sequential boxes!! very nice piece of kit using a elctromatic ram.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not seeing any large practical use for this idea.
1) disobeys KISS principle flagrantly2
2) You can still press on pedal, but no physical reaction... eliminates feel, vibrations, direct immediate reactions
3) Electronic... I'm sorry, sort of a repeat of 1, but going electric introduces a bevy of tighter and less forgiving tolerances, and I'm not happy with the current standards of relatively crappy quality control in electronic devices.
4) It's still got a delay that you know is there, and you can feel it.

A Ferrari F1 style gearbox is a beautiful masterpiece of engineering, it doesn't violate the KISS principle because it's removed the human variable input, the only input it gets is gear up or down stuff(more robust design), no random clutch depress or random rate of clutch depress.

This reminds me of a vending machine i saw today in action. It has a robotic arm that laser checks the item you want, and rotates it to slide down a chute that pops out. I was like wtf... where's the rotating coil for ease?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OKcruising
This reminds me of a vending machine i saw today in action. It has a robotic arm that laser checks the item you want, and rotates it to slide down a chute that pops out. I was like wtf... where's the rotating coil for ease?
haha you should see the mass storage units we have at work! 476 30 Gb UDO disks in one BIG box (looks like a vending machine! lol)! and this stupid roboitic arm that moves to pull the disk out and load it into the drive. my g*d its complex and a pain in the *** when it breaks.

i see no real benifit of an elctric clutch. i mean if your going that way then go the whole hog and do an F1 style box!

thanks Chris.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

checked the note, sorry it was a 12,000 red line,
but that's still frigging screaming for a v-10 stock motor with 600 HP.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J's99Zrated
I think it is a bad idea, just one more thing to break and drive up the cost of cars. If I had my way the only thing that would be computer controlled is the engine.
It's a good thing you don't have your way.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuntington101
haha you should see the mass storage units we have at work! 476 30 Gb UDO disks in one BIG box (looks like a vending machine! lol)! and this stupid roboitic arm that moves to pull the disk out and load it into the drive. my g*d its complex and a pain in the *** when it breaks.

i see no real benifit of an elctric clutch. i mean if your going that way then go the whole hog and do an F1 style box!

thanks Chris.
LOL Sounds like the jukeboxes they had when I was a kid in the early 1960's. Some of the weirdest Rube Goldberg contraptions you ever saw to retrieve the 45rpm records out of a storage rack and place them on the turntable. Like they say "The more things change ...".

Quick Reply: Clutch-by-wire