Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Engine Break in Theory

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
I am going to assume that you are Brian Nutter from Weisco. It looks like everyone is promoting your pistons and rings now. I used them in my last two builds with great results. I think they are in my current build. I always heard that you only put dextron on the walls to clean them one last time before putting regular oil on for final assembly. I read that it was too slick and wouldn't seat the rings properly just like synthetic. The other point I want to touch on with oil is that allot of the large crate engine company's are now only warranteeing their motors if you use the break in oil that they send with the motor. I know that SCDP switched from Valvoline VR1 20/50 to the new Joe Gibb break in oil with a high ZDDP level and they reccommend not going to synthetic untill 5,000 miles.

I have always used the easy 500 mile break in proceedure with the 20 minute warm up to get parts accustomed to each other on initial start up with good results. I guess it could all be old school techniques considering I built my first engine back in 92'. The one thing that does bother me about LSX motors though is that there is no way to prime them. So you are relying on assembly lube to get the job done.
You can leave the dextron on there or put oil on as in 20 seconds it's going to be oil anyway. Broken in about 1700 engines with both with no problems ever. Never had rings not seating ever with any lube or any ring or hone job with modern day rings and hone finishes.

The Zinc etc. is for high pressure points and is good to have but not needed really on a reg hyd roller engine. Still it's a good idea and is nice for the pushrod tips and interference fit damperless springs and retainers etc.

Now on an old solid flat tappet engine it's way different with special break in for the cam etc or with 1200 pound open springs eating pushrod tips. We always use moly grease on all those super high pressure points at assembly time.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Erik. I am going to be firing up an YSI blown 408 in the near future and I think I am going to follow the articles break in procedures. Makes sense when you think about it.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Erik.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre002
I some what argee with almost everything that is said there but one thing. What is with not using syn oil durring break in? I have done this on the motors I build and never had a problem?
I heard you can but it will take longer
and if you are dumping it after 300-500 miles and then again at 1,000 whats the sence

Quick Reply: Engine Break in Theory