Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Tech information for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech information for the experts

I am doing a term paper for a science course in college on internal combustion, and most specifically with an emphasis on performance. Basically the processes involved, how it works, the reactions taking place, some physics of it, and what performance engines like the ls1, or ls2 or ls6 or ls7 have that make them so much more powerful than your standard v-8s. I did work as a mechanic and was a motorcycle racer so I do have knowledge on this topic, but this is a term paper for school.
Any info, or any sources that I could check out would be great. It will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can search all over the net for this information and there are plenty of books written on it. Start using google.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

There are a number of improvements that make the LSx series excellent engines in all regards. However, the three things that make the production versions of these engines really great performers (in my opinion) are:

1. Excellent head design of the LS1 that has been continuously and rapidly improved through the LS7. The Gen V engines will move the benchmark farther forward regarding head and valvetrain design.

2. Excellent induction systems for good broad-band power.

3. Excellent electronic powertrain control system.

You need more than a few opinions though. In order to develop your own paper, you will need to do some research and as Brad8266 pointed out, there is a lot of information on the Internet and in print.

All my best,

Steve
Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Indeed, I have already located resources at my library... however I thought that I would consult with some people with the same interests who know pertinent information off the top... Thank you Steve for the reply, I apreciate it. I will find more information on the LSx engines with those thoughts in mind.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Teching In

I would start by finding an undergraduate engineering thermodynamics textbook, and identifying the proper cycle that the gasoline internal combustion engines use, from there you can get progressively more complicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_cycle

Starting there is a good place, then from there it can get extremely complicated, the engineers building internal combustion engines focus on a wide variety of problems and needs of the engine.

The design process for maximum power will have significant attention payed to the rotordynamics aspects of the engines rotating assembly, also, significant time will be spent with computational fluid dynamics to try to work out exactly how to build the cylinder heads and make them flow in an optimum way given a limited amount of space. Then you can get into the chemistry of the air fuel mixture, and even some of the quirkier events in the combustion chamber such as leidenfrost effect or film boiling of fuel on the pistons, the why the air enters and exits the valves is very important.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

This is a great book to get any engine theories and equations from.
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Simulat...8221588&sr=1-1

The reasons this engine is superior to the old smallblocks is what Steve said plus better oiling, parasitic drag testing, and better materials to work with. The 15 degree valve angle and larger, taller intake port design aids in better overall power numbers while sacrificing some low end, below 3500, power. The longer rod helps in dwelling at the top to make the cylinder head seem bigger than it is. The taller deck height allows for the longer rod and stroke. The lightweight valvetrain and behive valvesprings help the parasitics on the valvetrain and also aid in the longevity by reducing the stress of the system components. The 6 bolt mains add stability to lower end and the long head bolts keep stresses off of the top of the block which helps in less distortion of the cylinder bore which helps in the overall sealing of the rings. The larger cam bore allows a larger base circle which gives the valvetrain a lot more room to operate efficiently by not having so much acceleration for a given lift. The windage tray keeps oil from sitting on the crank, eating up power and overheating the oil. If you need, I can help out with the differences more. Let me know, I always have time for learning.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodydominant
I am doing a term paper for a science course in college on internal combustion, and most specifically with an emphasis on performance. Basically the processes involved, how it works, the reactions taking place, some physics of it, and what performance engines like the ls1, or ls2 or ls6 or ls7 have that make them so much more powerful than your standard v-8s. I did work as a mechanic and was a motorcycle racer so I do have knowledge on this topic, but this is a term paper for school.
Any info, or any sources that I could check out would be great. It will be greatly appreciated.
MSURacing's recommendation of Blair's book is right on. Read the first chapter at least, and if you understand it, quote the good parts (and give Blair credit!) About all you can do in a term paper is hit the very high spots and write it for non-gearheads. I hope your prof. isn't a gear head.

If I were doing such a paper I would focus on BMEP and how it is a great way to compare engines of any displacement and use. Things that improve BMEP, especially power peak rpm BMEP for high performance engines are what make one engine better than another.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Another good site on the internet for engine info:

www.epi-eng.com

hope this helps !!!

Quick Reply: Tech information for the experts