Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Still pushing water.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
I run the same L19's I'm not saying you need 1/2" but by the 100ft/lbs i thought you had 1/2" Was your block done with the tq plate at 100 ft/lbs?

Eric told me to tq mine to 75 no more and there holding great. i would think if you over tq them you will get the boltpart of the head bowing in and the middle of the cylander on the head higher. but im no expert.
When we torqued to 85ft the copper never seated into the o ring reciver groove after it was ran like that at the track we pushed water like crazy with very little nos.We took the heads off at that point and noticed they were loose like they were trying to still seat.and we did do the retorque at 85ft.I think the gasket were hurt at that point.When we took took the gaskets to 100ft we noticed how much better the copper seated you could feel just by torquing down that is what the cooper needed.We will see on the new set going in tonight and hit the track this weekend if that was a problem.I just think you need high torque just for copper o ring reciver groove setups because your trying to crush the the copper into the groove.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuff
NGK 9 is what im using for plugs and i only run C16 fuel.I have also heard that take timing out because it is not nessary with the et heads.How much timing have you taking out?Ive heard people go as low as 12 degrees but im thinking setting it at 15 degrees and sees what happens.

I would start at 12* and work your way up.

Are you using a progressor? or spraying it all right out of the hole?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ATVracr
I would start at 12* and work your way up.

Are you using a progressor? or spraying it all right out of the hole?
Thats what i was thinking.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

What shot is it and how much hp to the wheels? i thought i red somware 250 to the wheels but i couldn't find it.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heavily coat the gaskets in hylomar. Then procede to Tq and Loosen those gaskets 4-5 times. Yes Copper gaskets need alot more TQ to deform around the wire lock. At least 85-90 lb ft. I would suggest the Loosen and Re TQ scheme 4-5 times and make sevral final TQ checking passes. Mind you use lots of Moly lube on the headstud threads.

When we torqued to 85ft the copper never seated into the o ring reciver groove after it was ran like that at the track we pushed water like crazy with very little nos.We took the heads off at that point and noticed they were loose like they were trying to still seat.and we did do the retorque at 85ft.I think the gasket were hurt at that point.When we took took the gaskets to 100ft we noticed how much better the copper seated you could feel just by torquing down that is what the cooper needed.We will see on the new set going in tonight and hit the track this weekend if that was a problem.I just think you need high torque just for copper o ring reciver groove setups because your trying to crush the the copper into the groove.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

We just got back from the track and we set timing at 14 degrees all was going good mine you the car was more lazy with the timing out.We then started to pill it up thinking leave timing out and creep up with the tuneup.As soon as we pilled up to a 33 we then pushed water about half gallon.I know this is not right and maybe the gaskets are to thin (40 tho) heads went through the normal heat cycle and were retorqued.This pushing water is getting old and we are not going to make any more power if we can't keep the heads on the motor.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:05 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Is it time for a bigblock yeat!!!I know if we can keep the heads down we wil be able to run with some of the 500+ cube guys without a problem.If i bulid a new motor i will be going through W2W and it will be a world block but before i bulid that i want to know if im going to limit myself again to a motor that will have the same problem.I love the LSX motors but if i can't make power due to pushing water then this setup is pretty useless.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

Wish I could help but I dont have any experience with copper gaskets.

Did you try the hylomar like LS1curious said? I've heard good stuff about it.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what heads are you using ?

Is it time for a bigblock yeat!!!I know if we can keep the heads down we wil be able to run with some of the 500+ cube guys without a problem.If i bulid a new motor i will be going through W2W and it will be a world block but before i bulid that i want to know if im going to limit myself again to a motor that will have the same problem.I love the LSX motors but if i can't make power due to pushing water then this setup is pretty useless.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1curious
what heads are you using ?
Pretty sure he has ETP's
Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Pretty sure he has ETP's
Your correct.BTW i talked to kurt from W2W and he said there is not much i can do.Nitrous cars are just so violent that it's really hard to keed the heads down plus my motor is 13.5.1 compression so cylinder pressure is very high on the bottle.I was thinking of buliding a custom Reservoir like the new cars have so that when you bulid coolent pressure it would have room to expaned vs right now it just pushed water out because ther is no room.I think what we want to bulid will work and it will keep the water in the motor.The only thing we don't know is how many times can a head be lifted before you have a gasket failure.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tq the sutds up to like 105 lb ft.

Those heads can take it and as long as the block is Iron it'll take it.

Your correct.BTW i talked to kurt from W2W and he said there is not much i can do.Nitrous cars are just so violent that it's really hard to keed the heads down plus my motor is 13.5.1 compression so cylinder pressure is very high on the bottle.I was thinking of buliding a custom Reservoir like the new cars have so that when you bulid coolent pressure it would have room to expaned vs right now it just pushed water out because ther is no room.I think what we want to bulid will work and it will keep the water in the motor.The only thing we don't know is how many times can a head be lifted before you have a gasket failure.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:38 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Tq the sutds up to like 105 lb ft.

Those heads can take it and as long as the block is Iron it'll take it.
Thats were there at and still no luck.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I think you hit the nail on the head if the gaskets are protruding into the chamber. That would almost certainly cause a hot spot at the gasket edge which would cause detonation.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by gametech
I think you hit the nail on the head if the gaskets are protruding into the chamber. That would almost certainly cause a hot spot at the gasket edge which would cause detonation.
I thought so to so we went to a 4.100 gasket and it fit very nice.We thought we had the problem solved till we put a bigger tune in 33 jet on D/P and then we started to push water again.I figure are tune would be able to go to about a 40 jet before i would draw the line but were so far off from that and i know a 33 is not huge for a 408 cube motor.BTW i ran a 36 jet in my D/P in my little 346 but i did not have the compression that i have now also.I think im going just to go to a huge catch can and pill it till the heads pop off!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running 11mm or 1/2 studs ? The other thing you may want to do is grab some pictures of the plugs and the old gaskets and post them up here. I would love to have a look see.

Also did you Tq and loosen the heads sevral times before final TQ ?

Thats were there at and still no luck.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your correct.BTW i talked to kurt from W2W and he said there is not much i can do.Nitrous cars are just so violent that it's really hard to keed the heads down plus my motor is 13.5.1 compression so cylinder pressure is very high on the bottle.I was thinking of buliding a custom Reservoir like the new cars have so that when you bulid coolent pressure it would have room to expaned

Thats what i was told also..... N2O is violent.....
I know im a boosted car.... but i would lift the heads and push that much also....... heads would lift 6-7 times and finally blow the gasket.... not o-ringed though....
Like i said above im in the process of doing it now.... looks like you talked me into 1/2" studs....

Kyle
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Thats what i was told also..... N2O is violent.....
I know im a boosted car.... but i would lift the heads and push that much also....... heads would lift 6-7 times and finally blow the gasket.... not o-ringed though....
Like i said above im in the process of doing it now.... looks like you talked me into 1/2" studs....

Kyle
I talked to kurt at W2W and he thought the clamping force would have been good with the l19.I don't think going with a 1/2 stud would be the answer.He feels that nos are just that mush more harder on things and there is not much i can really do.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Are you running 11mm or 1/2 studs ? The other thing you may want to do is grab some pictures of the plugs and the old gaskets and post them up here. I would love to have a look see.

Also did you Tq and loosen the heads sevral times before final TQ ?
Ill see what i can do.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I talked to kurt at W2W and he thought the clamping force would have been good with the l19.I don't think going with a 1/2 stud would be the answer.He feels that nos are just that mush more harder on things and there is not much i can really do.

That sucks man.......

Well either BBC time or LSX... id say wait and see what some do with the LSX stuff with the 6 bolt heads and you have almost all the parts except the heads and some bolts.........

Kyle

Quick Reply: Still pushing water.