Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Still pushing water.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
That sucks man.......

Well either BBC time or LSX... id say wait and see what some do with the LSX stuff with the 6 bolt heads and you have almost all the parts except the heads and some bolts.........

Kyle
Yea that is what ive been thinking.If not im going to lean towards a SBC im thinking like a SP2 setup with efi on the gun!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah SBC stuff can take the power.... Local buddy made 2430hp with a 430ci SBC with Twin GT-47-88 turbo's.... should be a blast...
Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuff
Well after steping a little on the tuneup im staring to push water again.As some know im on a copper o ring reciver groove setup.I would like to know how much power can you make before i shoud be pushing water?Seems like my power level is no were close enough to were im pushing water.Right now i push about a quart per pass and i get a little messy under the hood because it fills my reserve all the way up.My heads are torque to 100ft pounds but i belive i may have hurt a gasket due to not torquing them down tight enough on the fresh gaskets (85ft pounds) thinking about putting new gaskets in and trying it again.What do you guys think. BTW i did do the heat cycle and retorque after full cool down but were only torque at 85ft pounds.At that point we were leaking water pretty bad in the cylinders and we pulled the haeds cleaned it all up and did the 100ft pound torque.Can copper gaskets just get messed up on a inproper torque install.
on all our cars we pushed about a quart a pass once we ran 8.90 power
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Yea that is what ive been thinking.If not im going to lean towards a SBC im thinking like a SP2 setup with efi on the gun!!!

I would disagree with the ls not being able to hold it. I just think your head gasket type is no good with what your doing. I have hit mine pretty hard and the most water we saw was less than 1/2 a quart on the over flow. a little water is going to happen. My compression is less than yours though. I guess your heads are machines for those gaskets and you can't use a regular cometic any more right?

Also It would help to not fill the coolant all the way up leave it 1/2 qt low that way theres some room in the system and when it pushes its just steam at first.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
I would disagree with the ls not being able to hold it. I just think your head gasket type is no good with what your doing. I have hit mine pretty hard and the most water we saw was less than 1/2 a quart on the over flow. a little water is going to happen. My compression is less than yours though. I guess your heads are machines for those gaskets and you can't use a regular cometic any more right?

Also It would help to not fill the coolant all the way up leave it 1/2 qt low that way theres some room in the system and when it pushes its just steam at first.
Yea i leave the coolant a little low for expanion.What shot are you hitting it with and what compression.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Yea i leave the coolant a little low for expanion.What shot are you hitting it with and what compression.
It has seen the 400 shot on the mustang dyno quite a few times .We are around 11.5 or so. We just didn't believe the big N20 shot needed all that compression to do what we wanted. we also have taken good care in tqing the heads where eric@HK wanted us to and the recomendations from arp on the L19 head studs. We also used a thin gasket to help reduce the area where it could push out. I read about some cool new copper gaskets with orings around the coolant holes and gas filled rings to help seal compression. Might want to look into something like that.

good luck man. I hope your heads or block are not stuck with the setup you have now. it does not seem to be right.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 AM
9 Second Club

Think it was 350 shot at the PGD's and 375 shot when it went 8.9

Its broken up in 2 stages.

are you using a progressor?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Think it was 350 shot at the PGD's and 375 shot when it went 8.9

Its broken up in 2 stages.

are you using a progressor?

Bingo. but we did hit it with the 400 on the dyno at jeffs. we just backed it down some for the friday night runs. as soon as my stuffs back were gona hit it with the 450 and see what she's got. I had eric send 4 extra pistons incase
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM
9 Second Club

Bingo. but we did hit it with the 400 on the dyno at jeffs. we just backed it down some for the friday night runs. as soon as my stuffs back were gona hit it with the 450 and see what she's got. I had eric send 4 extra pistons incase

You have a very efficent N20 kit too.

225 shot makes 230 or so to the wheels

450 DAMN ! Maybe it will bump the front wheels
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ATVracr

450 DAMN ! Maybe it will bump the front wheels
Old 06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read about some cool new copper gaskets with orings around the coolant holes and gas filled rings to help seal compression. Might want to look into something like that.
I think kurt tried those gaskets on a turbo setup with no success...not sure if its the same ones...but he did mention they had gas-filled rings...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

We have some trick **** in the works ill keep you guys posted.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

We have some trick **** in the works ill keep you guys posted.

please do
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

I read about some cool new copper gaskets with orings around the coolant holes and gas filled rings to help seal compression. Might want to look into something like that.

SCE Titans? I ran them on my 347 after popping the cometics at E-town....... The next time I lifted a head, the gaskets held, but the piston/head did not. VERY strong gaskets....... but if you have issues, you will have damage...LOL

I went back to cometics for my new motor, as I would rather lose a gasket, than damage the motor
Old 06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are chasing the wrong gremlin... I assume that you think the heads are lifting, pressurizing the cooling system with combustion gasses, causing a coolant dump, is that correct? I seriously doubt this is happening with the gaskets and torque you are using. The head gaskets are not leaking.

The problem is an extreme and rapid transfer of heat to the cooling system causing a rapid expansion of the coolant and a pressure spike... This, coupled with a high pressure cap means that when the cap does release, it does so with an explosive eruption (liquid to steam) of coolant.

Try improving your cooling system using a lower pressure cap (12 psi) and a large diameter (1 inch) overflow line to a large catch can. Also make sure there is no flow restriction through the thermostat or other components. Verify that your coolant bleeds at the front and rear of the heads are clear and large to eliminate any posibility of trapped air in the heads. Verify that your radiator is large and well cooled with electric fans... Also, install a coolant system pressure guage and log the data for analysis.
Do this and your problem will be solved...
Shirl Dickey
SDRE
Old 06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had similar problems on buicks and SBF with copper gasket. 1/2 head studs and lifting at this power level. Its not rapid heating from his description. We need pictures of the gaskets and plugs to go further with this.

Originally Posted by MrEracer
You guys are chasing the wrong gremlin... I assume that you think the heads are lifting, pressurizing the cooling system with combustion gasses, causing a coolant dump, is that correct? I seriously doubt this is happening with the gaskets and torque you are using. The head gaskets are not leaking.

The problem is an extreme and rapid transfer of heat to the cooling system causing a rapid expansion of the coolant and a pressure spike... This, coupled with a high pressure cap means that when the cap does release, it does so with an explosive eruption (liquid to steam) of coolant.

Try improving your cooling system using a lower pressure cap (12 psi) and a large diameter (1 inch) overflow line to a large catch can. Also make sure there is no flow restriction through the thermostat or other components. Verify that your coolant bleeds at the front and rear of the heads are clear and large to eliminate any posibility of trapped air in the heads. Verify that your radiator is large and well cooled with electric fans... Also, install a coolant system pressure guage and log the data for analysis.
Do this and your problem will be solved...
Shirl Dickey
SDRE
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

So based on what Shirl is saying, then race SBC and BBC's would do the same thing once you hit them with a 300 shot too?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just a newb at this ultra high HP stuff, but if the heads were lifting, wouldn't there be some kind of fuel residue in the coolant? Of course not enough to see or smell, but its not something a lab couldnt detect.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
I'm just a newb at this ultra high HP stuff, but if the heads were lifting, wouldn't there be some kind of fuel residue in the coolant? Of course not enough to see or smell, but its not something a lab couldnt detect.
You can smell exhaust in the radiator.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

You can smell exhaust in the radiator.
thats enough proof for me

Quick Reply: Still pushing water.