Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

To Cryo or not to Cryo, that is the question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Cryo or not to Cryo, that is the question....

So I recently learned that through a work connection I have access to cheap cryo stress relief. Since most of my parts are in a box, awaiting install, I was wondering if taking advantage of this is something I should do. What affects if any would it have if I got my top end cryoed bofore installing, good or bad?

I know this is a pretty vague question, but seeing as this isnt a typical practice for street applications, I figured the advanced forum would offer me more of an answer.

Thank you for your time.

To the mods, if this isnt the right place please move it....

Last edited by twizted_creations; 07-22-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

If its cheap and you have access, why not
Old 07-23-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Cheap+ can only help= why not do it?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can you hook me up? lol
Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

If your in the area, let me know... What about aluminum? Say if I got my heads done, would I be able to bolt them right on afterwords or would they have to be milled? As for hookups, well, if your willing to send me the parts then, I guess. Could work out trades as well.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is this costing? or would it cost us *normally* and where do you get it done?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure on the company name, it came up in conversation with the boss here. We have our Molds treated there and I guess they will do smaller stuff for us too discounted from thier normal price because our molds are over 20,000 lbs..... I can come up with numbers if you want... PM me or shoot me an email with details so to get a good quote. It wouldnt cost you any more than it would cost me... Share the wealth right?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM

I would do it for sure.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

I know of no problems with cryoing AL, FE, or steel. AFAIK the dimensions stay exactly the same.

And that being the case I would absolutely cryo the valvetrain related stuff, particularly push rods and vave springs. The heads would be good, as the valve seats would hold up better.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
9 Second Club

Aluminum definitely benefits from Cryogenic treatments. However....I read somewhere that there's a pattern you need to follow in order to gain the best benefit from cryo.

Freeze it let it warm up slowly then do it again and let it warm up really slowly. Something like that I don't remember. This was a long time ago also. There may be new process improvements.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Alrighty then.... Off the parts go to be froze... I will keep you posted on the results and wait time. Thank you all for the info.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Just found this on the Internet:
This will be a general overview of our process. We have several different-sized systems that we use for processing. Our largest has about 32 cubic feet of internal capacity, and is large enough to process multiple engine blocks and related parts. The material being processed is gently loaded into the system. The lid is then closed and the computer is programmed with the appropriate information. The temperature in the chamber is slowly and precisely lowered from ambient to -320°F. This can take anywhere from 8 to 14 hours, which is always far less than a degree per minute. For audio parts and components, our descend rate is around a half-degree per minute. This lengthens our process, requiring more LN2 for processing (and therefore more costly to perform), but we know from years of experience that it is well worth the time and expense. We allow the nitrogen to enter the chamber through a phase separator for safety, and very importantly, to purge the chamber of air and moisture. Within this inert nitrogen atmosphere, condensation will not accumulate. The soak phase of the process maintains -320°F for at least 24 hours, and usually more. This is important because all molecular motion slows dramatically at very cold temperatures. In order to assure complete transformation, one must maintain as cold a temperature as possible (the soak) for periods longer than 20 hours. Our system then warms the chamber to ambient temperature over a period of 12 to 24 hours, sometimes longer depending upon the load. This precise control and long time duration ensures that there will never be a large difference in temperature from the outside of a part to the core of the part. This is how it is possible to safely process items with very dissimilar materials and construction.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Launching!

^ which is awesome and probably ensures no cracks or dimensional changes in the parts.

Thanks for the info.