Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Oil PSI vs. Volume

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I just glanced at that, but that looks to deal with gases, gases compress. Liquids do not. So I dont see where that applies...but I may have missed the boat LOL.

Another example: WHy is it bad when you have high blood pressure? Because the volume of blood is not getting where it should. The veins are restricted.

David
You aren't getting this. I'm quoting my Engineering book here:

"...with all other factors being equal, the greater the difference in pressure between 2 points in a system, the faster the fluid will flow."

In our engine, the change in pressure would be (~40psi - 14psi), where 40psi is the pressure made by the pump and 14psi is the atmosphere. According to the text, if I made the oil pressure greater, the fluid would flow faster.

Make sense?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatup Patrick? What you said is correct.

Given two identical systems, observing an applied increase in pressure in the closed system implies that indeed, flow velocity is increasing, thus the flow rate is increased.

The 1st law has nothing to do with the OP's question, unless you want to figure out how much energy your expending, and I don't got a lookup table for SAE10w30, nor specs for a LSx oil pump.

to the OP; read here to get a better understanding of the concepts,
http://www.pc-education.mcmaster.ca/...ation/flow.htm

But, these things are meaningless. What you need to be most concerned with is the velocity and flow rate. Oil is effectively incompressible, i.e. compressibility factor = appx 1.
The oil pump does not do create pressure, it merely moves oil. Its the engine bits itself that create the flow path obstructions; i.e. introduce pressure.

So in summary, there is no relationship between "oil pressure" and the volume. Your hosed unless you know the flow rate of the pump. Which is basically what you wanted to know anyways I think (?).

But for simplicity sake and your peace of mind. If you have pressure, oil is flowing, and it's encountering parts in the engine; this is good. If you have no pressure, and the engine is operating, this is NOT good.
So for simplicity sake, you have two cars, identical oiling; everything identical. You change pumps, and now your reading 2x the other cars pressure. You have just increased the flowrate a considerable amount, because the oil flow is now "fighting" harder against the obstructions, this is indicative of more flow squeezing through.

Last edited by OKcruising; 12-17-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Mike. Thanks for chiming in.

Quick Reply: Oil PSI vs. Volume