Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS1 Block Material

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exhappen
Now lets be mature about this. I said nothing else needs to be said so it wouldn't turn into a war here. I don't remember insulting anything that you said. Am I wrong?

I do still appreciate the info, everyone is here to share info. I don't think there is really any need for insults.

FWIW, I go to Texas A&M. Say what you want, but its a great school with a great reputation in the engineering fields.
I wouldn't consider that insulting. Jon is here to help people learn how to fish rather than catching them for them. Lots of what he's posted has inspired me to spend countless hours reading stuff I won't ever use anywhere but an IC engine. What degree are you shooting for at A&M? Not that it has anything to do with this topic but have you ever considered the FSAE team they have there? Great bunch of guys, hung out with them a few times when I was at UT Arlington for spring break FSAE testing and Texas Autocross Weekend. I would have no problem being a member of that team, not that I can say that for every univeristy though.

I need to ask Bob Lutz for a job when I'm done with my degree.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see both sides of this topic. I do see someone asking a question like that in this forum as it seems to be the most logical place to find out something like that which is out of the norm.

On the other hand when I go to any search engine and put in ls1 block alloy I get articles ont he release of the ls1 engine which cover the material properties. So, in that case I would say using a search engine (if not done so before hand) would have been in order.

But, I do not see the need to chastise someone for the pursuit of knowledge. After all that is why many of us are here. So, my advice would be to tone down the harsh rebuke for what I would consider a reasonable question.

BTW, I wholehearted agree that A&M has a fine engineering program...
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UTA FSAE is the devil

Cornell alum, '98 and '99 FSAE
Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by y2khawk

UTA FSAE is the devil

HAH, so you had to deal with the 250cc 19,500 rpm turbo ethanol demons? Cornell is damn good with engineering and FSAE too. Some really cool stuff happened in the early 2000's when UTA started putting wings on their car.

I think UMR is the devil now. I love how they passed tech (05') and the following night put tall (1") carbon gurney flaps on the wings that violated the 1/8" trailing radius rule. Still doesn't help the fact that our A driver dropped the ball on autocross and a sensor broke on my engine leaking oil on the undertray (NOT ON THE GROUND) in endurance.

Drew - UTA FSAE Engine lead
06/04' - 06/06'
Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by y2khawk

UTA FSAE is the devil

ok threadjacker...

Matt is the one with green hair on the right hand side...
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Block Material-halan-green-hair.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

damn, that ******* picture.

harlan - engine controller guy, traction control guy, frame welder, enduro and auto-x driver 98 and 99.

I've got red hair in the 98 panoramic picture and i'm sitting in the car for 99 (bald then)

and yeah, the 250cc engine was painful, absolutely horrible sound.

now back on topic
Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

I'm graduating this May with a Mechanical Engineering degree and Business minor.

I have been around the FSAE Team all 4 years here. All my buddies are doing it. But officially, it's a senior design project for the last 2 semesters. I didn't have time to work on it because of my job. Those guys are a dedicated group of people and they spend many many hours outside of school on that car. Its definitely something I wish I could have done.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

I guess Ill be the first to say this in here, but you come across as a COMPLETE DICK in this post.. The guy simply wanted a lil information and he posted it in the appropriate forum. Seems you should call Tony and see if he will pass you one of his "blue pills"

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Now there's a closed mind.

So your Prof. suggested you go online and accept anything that sounded reasonable for material with no documentation? I think not if you are attending a "real" school. If you were in my class and said you sourced the data from a "post on LS1Tech with no supporting documentaton", you'd not get passing grade. But I'm a hard ***.

FWIW, various sources list the block material for some LS engines as 319-T5 and also 319-T7. Hmmm. Which is it and what does the T5 or T7 mean? Why do you think GM uses 356-T6 for the C5R, etc. race blocks and not 319-T5 or -T7? Ask your Prof. if you can't find/figure it out.

Here is an interesting presentation. It pretty much spoon feeds some very interesting information.

http://www.sfsa.org/tutorials/eng_block/default.htm

BTW, You two guys probably shouldn't ask Bob Lutz for a job after you graduate.

Jon
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Teching In

My guess is that GM uses ......
I think he really wanted an answer and not your guess *******. Funny how you claim to "think out of the box" but condemn others for asking questions outside your determination of their area of expertise.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by exhappen
I'm graduating this May with a Mechanical Engineering degree and Business minor.

I have been around the FSAE Team all 4 years here. All my buddies are doing it. But officially, it's a senior design project for the last 2 semesters. I didn't have time to work on it because of my job. Those guys are a dedicated group of people and they spend many many hours outside of school on that car. Its definitely something I wish I could have done.
Congrats on the upcoming graduation and working your way through school (very commendable). I would have liked to work on the FSAE project when I was in school, but was busy working. Anyway, I continued on and went to work for GM and one of the Japanese OEMs after I completed school, also an ME. Currently in Aerospace working on anti-ballistic missiles. Miss testing cars though.

Anyway, this post reminded me that I question some of the young Engineers in a similar fashion at times. Never stop asking questions unless you’re getting assailed by Secret Service Agents.

Last edited by TT632; 02-27-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Everyone here has made some good points that are worth considering. I don't want this thread to turn into a flaming arrow contest! I just ask that everyone who has posted here (and those who have read the thread and considered posting) stand down for a short time and think about the need to be:
  • courteous without being condescending
  • seeking knowledge without asking to be spoon-fed
  • willing to share knowledge with others
This goes not for just this thread, but the whole forum.

Steve
Old 02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

BTW, You two guys probably shouldn't ask Bob Lutz for a job after you graduate.

Jon
No worries, I will not. This is not my business, but I just like this hobby and comparing different pieces.

Jon, you are a great help to this site and others, but if you do not like someone's question or if it is to easy I would just not answer if I were you. There is no need to criticize. It is better to walk away, than walk into it...

I find this sub-forum of ls1tech the most informative on this site, as well as it should be, so it would be fitting to ask questions in here that you want to get as factual as possible.

Thanks...

Edit: I started posting this before Steve posted. Sorry...
Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

5.0stang,
Not a problem . . . I've done the same thing myself. You hit submit and find out that someone has already posted.

Steve
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this talk about FSAE got me excited...too bad my schools program was just an embarrasment...I tried so hard to organize it better for 3 years and finally I just gave up. I learned SO MUCH from other schools out at the competition though, what an amazing few days.

As for the alloy talk...I did a lot of work with GM's castings in school for metallurgy research, but I'm not allowed to talk about them. I can say that they put a LOT of research into the production alloys to save money and have a good product (for their intended use).

Matweb is a pretty good resource to look up properties on the alloys mentioned in this thread.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fran D
The block is Al 319-T5 and the main caps are a powdered metal. The exact composition of the metal is proprietary (not sure, but I think Metaldyne is the manufacturer), but it typically will consist of an alloy containing both Al and Fe. The bearings are traditional 3-layer babbit/copper/steel. You can probably get the exact specs from any aftermarket/replacement set.
Interesting that you say that. When melting AL you are supposed to avoid using an Fe stir rod because it will cause the AL to be weak due to interference with the mircostructure. hmmmmmm Something isn't right here.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 474 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
I guess Ill be the first to say this in here, but you come across as a COMPLETE DICK in this post.. The guy simply wanted a lil information and he posted it in the appropriate forum. Seems you should call Tony and see if he will pass you one of his "blue pills"
I hate to stir the pot any more, but I would rather have good info from a complete dick than bad info from the nicest guy on this forum. I think a lot of people here are a bit "thin-skinned" when it comes to criticism. However, that was one of the harsher posts I've read from OldSStroker. Maybe he was having a bad day?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I hate to stir the pot any more, but I would rather have good info from a complete dick than bad info from the nicest guy on this forum. I think a lot of people here are a bit "thin-skinned" when it comes to criticism. However, that was one of the harsher posts I've read from OldSStroker. Maybe he was having a bad day?
Not really, and no need to stick up for me. Thanks anyway, game.

I am harsh at times when I am passionate about something. Usually I try to be subtle, but painting with a narrow brush doesn't always get the message noticed.

My skin is fairly thick, and I have been called worst names than in this thread, even by those close to me. I guess (no, I know) there may be ulterior motives behind vitrolic posts. So be it.

At least I elicited responses from a couple (make that two) SR's who have never previously responded to my posts...at least not in the current identity. As they say in Hollywood, any publicity is good publicity.

Remember folks, you are always auditioning for a job, for potential customers, or as a customer. You never know who hears or reads you. It is interesting to read a collection of someone's posts from their profile. It helps determine if you would like them as a supplier, a customer, an employee or a source of information.

Steve's advice was good. I'll take it.

Jon
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Interesting that you say that. When melting AL you are supposed to avoid using an Fe stir rod because it will cause the AL to be weak due to interference with the mircostructure. hmmmmmm Something isn't right here.
Yes, that's why it's not a melt. The metal retains its particulate characteristic as most processes, including sintering, only heat the materials to just below the melting point of the base metal. Having said all that, I actually have no idea what the composition of the Metaldyne (if, in fact, Metaldyne is the correct Tier) material is. It could have no Al it could have a lot. You can find out a lot here and here.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 474 Likes on 333 Posts

Not really, and no need to stick up for me. Thanks anyway, game.

I am harsh at times when I am passionate about something. Usually I try to be subtle, but painting with a narrow brush doesn't always get the message noticed.

My skin is fairly thick, and I have been called worst names than in this thread, even by those close to me. I guess (no, I know) there may be ulterior motives behind vitrolic posts. So be it.

At least I elicited responses from a couple (make that two) SR's who have never previously responded to my posts...at least not in the current identity. As they say in Hollywood, any publicity is good publicity.

Remember folks, you are always auditioning for a job, for potential customers, or as a customer. You never know who hears or reads you. It is interesting to read a collection of someone's posts from their profile. It helps determine if you would like them as a supplier, a customer, an employee or a source of information.

Steve's advice was good. I'll take it.

Jon
I was actually only sticking up for you by default. I am not under the influence of ANYTHING that makes me think you can't stick up for yourself. I was merely suggesting that this forum is becoming entirely too politicaly(sp) correct, sort of like the ls1gto forums. BTW, I am convinced that you might actually be a dick (that a lot of people could learn a lot from).
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
BTW, I am convinced that you might actually be a dick (that a lot of people could learn a lot from).
You made me laugh!

I'll take that as a compliment no matter how it was meant.

Jon

Quick Reply: LS1 Block Material