Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Not to argue with you, but OEM autmobiles and passenger aricraft are vastly different busnisses. How long will we wait for the Dreamliner? It has been delayed at least 15 months from the plan, if I recall.

The current 737 is vastly different from the original. One of my buddies flies -700s with Southwest and another runs a small airline of -200s. The 737 is a lot like the SBC; it changed, grew and improved over it's lifespan as has virtually every other commercial airliner. Like an engine series, airliners are designed for a long product life. They even grow in "displacement" like an engine series, but mostly in "stroke" and not "bore".

The CTS-V is in the 2 ton class of high performance sedans. That's hardly a lightweight sports car. The competition attracts customers with multi-valve, multi-cam engines while the CTS-V is using another "exotic" route. What makes the car go is the torque curve, not how the torque is derived. It is probably easier to get the 550/550 or so with great driveabilty with the 100# extra FI system. To be a little more fair, 4-cam, 4-valve V8s are usually heavier than equivalent sized 2-valve pushrod engines.

I don't agree with all of GM's decisions in their high-performance cars, but then again, they never ask me either.

Just my thoughts. No reason for us to put on the gloves.

Jon

Looks like your not all BS when it comes to the aviation world
Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Looks like your not all BS when it comes to the aviation world
When you are old like me, you may have experienced a lot of things and have may interests. Automobiles and airplanes have been my lifelong passion. I left GM as an engineer to fly for the USAF back in the Vietnam era. I continue to follow aircraft and automobiles. Both are a LOT of fun. I try not to BS about stuff I don't really know about. Thank you for your observation, Oh4GTO.

FWIW, Saturday I attended the funeral for one of the most intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Joe Mendelis, who was 26 and wise way beyond his years, died very unexpectedly on May 25. He was the best head porter I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. His legacy will live on with some of the ports he created. If you ever hear of T4P heads, Joey was responsible for the ports.

Thanks 4 Playing, Joey. RIP, Son.

Jon

FWIW, read posts by Cascazilla. He pretty much echoed what Joey Mendelis thought.

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-31-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy **** I didnt know Joe died. Theres nothing over at he Hardcore site. At least I didnt see it. Oh man. Im sorry you lost a good friend. I loved reading his posts. Learnd a lot and inspired to me to really hit the books.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Holy **** I didnt know Joe died. Theres nothing over at he Hardcore site. At least I didnt see it. Oh man. Im sorry you lost a good friend. I loved reading his posts. Learnd a lot and inspired to me to really hit the books.
Top of the lounge section. It is a sticky.

Thanks for saying something Jon. I have been kinda fighting it for a couple of days. Didn't know what Joey would have thought about it....

Quick Reply: Why do smaller valves make more torque?