Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Single plain questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Single plain questions

I have ordered up a Super Vic and also have a Vic JR in the shop. I know the Vic JR needs some decent port work to work right and I would assume the Super might need a little as well but not sure. Both of these intakes use a 4150 flange. I'm toying with the idea of using a Dominator TB and either and trying a off the shelf adapter as well as making a few adapters of my own that would have different heights and tapers.

Does anyone have suggestions on heights and tapers to start with. Here are a couple quick drawings to give you ides of what I am thinking.. I would probaly forming these with wire and fiberglass so I can easily sand the interior and contour them the way I want.

Next thing to add here, is, would there be any draw back using a 2000cfm TB vs a 1000cfm or something in the middle?

I honestly love timkering with things so I am not affraid to expieriment some..

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

as for tapers i'm pretty sure you don't want the drawing on the bottom left, tapering in then out again will have a increase/decrease affect on velocity and I doubt there's any way that can have a positive affect.
can you describe in more detail the engine and intake setup? is there a carb on top of the spacer?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of the adapter as part of the manifold plenum, not as a separate piece added on. This may lead you to some very interesting 3-dimensional shapes in your "adapter+manifold".

Think out of the box.

Jon
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks Jon, That's in an essence what I am trying to do.

Looking at the high velocity merge collectors on my headers, they have a similar look to the lower left picture. I would assume by the time the exhaust hits that section, the ari is no longer supersonic. I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the void would be filled with the atmospheric pressure, how to maybe use that adpater to help create velocity. I by know means am an engineer, just want to understand better, try some things ect. If they don't work, well, I'm sure I will still learn something in the process.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would think how the bottom of the tb looks would have a big impack on what kind of countor the spacer would need. my accel 1550 cfm 4150 has two blades that use the entire flange area opposed to 4 circle blades. how much bigger is the super vic plenium vs the vic jr. Theirs adapters that have the added metel between the tb openings for smoother flow but they wouldnt increase plunium as much.

Quick Reply: Single plain questions