Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Polished Underhood "Mirrors"

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 158 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Polished Underhood "Mirrors"

For those of you that have the polished "mirror" like panels for the underside of your hood, what do you use to keep them on the hood and not falling off?? I am having some made as we speak, and I have been debating on what to use to keep them stuck to the hood and not fall off while driving. Lemme know what u use and where to get it!! Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3m Heavy Duty Double-sided Tape
Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Will that withstand the heat?? I was thinking some sort of epoxy....when these go on..they are perminant
Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DragonZ28 with EMBLEMPROS.com sells underhood mirror kit with the option of permanent adhesive. I'm not sure if he would tell you or not, but it couldn't hurt asking him how you do it...
Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3M tape will work fine. Just be sure they are were you want them before you stick them...because you wont get them back off without bending them!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Psh. Use some velcro man. It's not permanent and it will for sure hold it in place. Makes it optional to have it in while daily driving or put them in for shows. I am going to apply this as such when I get mine.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The ****
Psh. Use some velcro man. It's not permanent and it will for sure hold it in place. Makes it optional to have it in while daily driving or put them in for shows. I am going to apply this as such when I get mine.

The problem with velcro is its too thick. It makes the mirrors look like they dont fit right and are "stuck on". If you go with the stainless ones you dont have to take them on and off like you do the plastic ones.

If you plan to take them on and off then get he plastic ones...they are cheaper and actually "look" better because they are true mirrors and not polished metal.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
The problem with velcro is its too thick. It makes the mirrors look like they dont fit right and are "stuck on". If you go with the stainless ones you dont have to take them on and off like you do the plastic ones.

If you plan to take them on and off then get he plastic ones...they are cheaper and actually "look" better because they are true mirrors and not polished metal.
Mirror isn't plastic...

I had a set of acrylic mirror emblems for my camaro and they turned to complete **** in a matter of months. I only advise getting plastic if you are cheap and don't care if they start to turn to **** quick.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

2 things:

1 - Even Velcro is held on by adhesive. So, throw that argument out the window. It is an old argument by those who are too cheap to supply tape. All Velcro allows is removal for storage so that if you daily drive your car, you can remove them and keep them clean. But, it is thicker than 3M tape, and this presents some undesireable issues such as sticking out too far, IMO.

2 - Mirrored stainless steel has just as much of a reflection as a real mirror. I'm not sure how it can look any better than that.

But, to answer your question, original poster, 3M double-sided automotive emblem tape will work. The heat isn't an issue in our tests as we have driven around to many places with our hood mirrors installed with tape - never once did one fall off.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Mirror isn't plastic...

I had a set of acrylic mirror emblems for my camaro and they turned to complete **** in a matter of months. I only advise getting plastic if you are cheap and don't care if they start to turn to **** quick.
Dang, I figured mirrored plastic would be just as good as polished stainless...kind of like wrapping something in chrome tape vs real chrome plating.

If you read the post I quoted and my response to it, he said he was going to use velcro on stainless mirrors so he could take them on and off and use them at shows. So in turn I said the only benifit to the stainless mirrors over the acrylic mirrors is that you dont have to be taken on and off like the plastic ones do. If he is only going to have them on the car at shows the plastic ones would be fine. If he plans to leave them on the car with it running for 15min though they will not last.

I have actually had both (thats my SOM hood with the mirrors in specializedstainless sig BTW)...the plastic ones looked like new for over a year using them ONLY at shows. But it got to be a PIA to take them on and off all the time so I got the stainless ones and 3Med them on and couldnt be happier with that choice.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
2 things:

1 - Even Velcro is held on by adhesive. So, throw that argument out the window. It is an old argument by those who are too cheap to supply tape. All Velcro allows is removal for storage so that if you daily drive your car, you can remove them and keep them clean. But, it is thicker than 3M tape, and this presents some undesireable issues such as sticking out too far, IMO.

2 - Mirrored stainless steel has just as much of a reflection as a real mirror. I'm not sure how it can look any better than that.

But, to answer your question, original poster, 3M double-sided automotive emblem tape will work. The heat isn't an issue in our tests as we have driven around to many places with our hood mirrors installed with tape - never once did one fall off.
Awesome, thanks man. I got the panels last night, and I also got my stainless battery cover as well but I still have to polish it up. When its all said and done ill have stainless fuse box and battery covers, polished aluminum brake fluid, coolant overflow covers, underhood panels, and fuel rail covers. And this thead isnt anygood without pics I know, but I will post up the progress soon! Thanks guys
Old 10-19-2008, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Dang, I figured mirrored plastic would be just as good as polished stainless...kind of like wrapping something in chrome tape vs real chrome plating.
I have had the plastic ones on my car with 3m tape for over 2 years. They've never fallen off and look as good as the day I bought them..
Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
I have had the plastic ones on my car with 3m tape for over 2 years. They've never fallen off and look as good as the day I bought them..
Yup, I've had my mirrored acrylic underhood mirrors on for over 6 years and they still look like the day I put them on with the 3M emblem adhesive tape. Plus my car was a Daily Driver for 5 years of that 6 and they held up just fine, just cleaned them with detail spray. They did have some set in spots that the spray wouldn't remove but some Plast-X took care of those.

I have polished covers too, just on my engine. Now those I've already had to replace once due to scratches and waterspots. But they were not clearcoated or anything.

When I first got them:

Recent pic showing that they are still holdin up....ahem.

BTW, Dragon...I saw on your site the 2 piece laser engraved stainless engine bay label set and I was floored. As soon as I can get the info off my CE, I will be ordering a set from you. Great product idea!

Last edited by BANDITCAR; 10-23-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Polished Underhood "Mirrors"