Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Thinking about HIDS, worried about fines

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our cars are freakin low people... only people your gonna blind are vettes or other low sport cars. do it a little safer by aiming your lights down as well. projectors are definately the ideal way to go. retrofitting a projector housing into our stock housing is ideal for our cars. the aftermarket housings, ie halo's, are still reflectors. You will get less glare and a better cutoff with the halo's but will still not give you the full HID experience. my mom has an 07 TSX, stock, and her HID's are the ****... reasoning behind me getting them. ATM i have 6000k kit in my stock housing, lighting is not optimal but pointing the lights down made them safer for the time being until i get the money for retrofit.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
our cars are freakin low people... only people your gonna blind are vettes or other low sport cars. do it a little safer by aiming your lights down as well. projectors are definately the ideal way to go. retrofitting a projector housing into our stock housing is ideal for our cars. the aftermarket housings, ie halo's, are still reflectors. You will get less glare and a better cutoff with the halo's but will still not give you the full HID experience. my mom has an 07 TSX, stock, and her HID's are the ****... reasoning behind me getting them. ATM i have 6000k kit in my stock housing, lighting is not optimal but pointing the lights down made them safer for the time being until i get the money for retrofit.
Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if your headlights are aimed down that doesn't mean your glare isn't going sky high. From photos that have been posted of HID's in reflector housings, the glare would blind pilots (that's a joke). The glare extends high enough to blind any oncoming driver.

If at 10 feet from a wall, your glare extends 2 feet above your main headlight beam, continue that beam PAST the wall and all the way down the road. You're blinding all oncoming traffic. Picture it this way... standing on the side of your car, imagine the light as a triangle coming from the vehicle. As it moves away from the vehicle it gets both higher and lower (if there were no ground below you) until it eventually fades all the way out. So lighting a stop sign that's 6 blocks away, as has been stated, is horrible glare for oncoming traffic.

Since everyone here seems to love photos.. here are some more (NOT mine )

Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rick, have you HONESTLY seen HIDs in a camaro reflector housing in person?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
seriously man... even look at your picture... above the arrows there is no light... obviously the lower the less glare up top.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian2006
I have seen HID's in both 4th Gen Camaro's (early/late model) and an LS1 T/A. In the later 4th Gen Camaro's they aren't horrible! I'm not saying they are as bad as Honda Civics for example, which blinded the HELL out of me about 8 times yesterday going to/from the track (not to mention actually at the track). They are bad enough to still bother my eyes though.

I'm not telling everyone here to go out and change, 'cause I know that won't happen I'm just voicing my opinion as are the rest of you guys. As has been discussed, I like to debate (not argue).
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Im not going to argue with everyone. Some people just cant understand logic, or are so disillusioned that nothing you can do or say will convince them.

Ill show my preference by posting two pics. The silver T/A has a set of hid projectors that i built. It was my first version that i had originally installed on my car. I quickly decided that i didnt like the look of the projectors with the square high beams, so i made Version 2.0 , bi-xenon with no halogen sealed beams at all. Sorry, these are teh only pictures i have of the setups.

heres a cutoff pic as well (since everyone seems to love them) of the Version 1.0 setup

Last edited by redls1bird; 10-23-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ That's hot.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks! I thought so too.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have HIDS on my LS1 and it does make a difference, I also had them on my 93 LT1 when hids first hit the streets and it also made huge difference. I have them on my bike high and low beams. All in all been running HIDs for many years with no issues or tickets.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd love a set of projectors like in the above photos of the TA. However I don't drive my car enough to justify the cost. lol....

I'd like to see pics of TA fogs equipped with HID's. say the light pattern on a garage.

The legality of HID's is a worthless point. half of the people on here claiming hid's are illegal have illegal emissions related mods, so whats the point. My car has nothing left on it emissions wise, hid's would be the least of my concerns should law enforcement look over the car. Last cop that pulled me over liked the cam. lol..

On a related point, if I had 'glarring' hid's, cops might not be able to tell I have no front plate for all the glare...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have HIDs in my camaro and never had a problem with cops or anything... bmw mercedes lexus and other high end cars come stock with HIDs, they would have to get those cars as well
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
I'd love a set of projectors like in the above photos of the TA. However I don't drive my car enough to justify the cost. lol....
Just like anything else, they dont have to be expensive. My first set including the HID kit cost about 300 bucks total. That was before the plug and play kits could be had for 50-100 bucks.

My bi-xenon setup cost more because i wanted very specific projectors that no one sold, so i had to buy entire headlamp assemblies. It cost about 400 bucks.

Both could be done for 1/2 the original price now. Thats not that expensive at all.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By now I figured somebody would of designed a hid friendly projector in a 'sealed beam' housing, giving a stock'ish look and ease of install. i'd jump on it if they existed.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

i have followed cops and met cops and been pulled over before and not a one has said anything bout my hids. And also people never bright me when meeting them or anything so i don't think its a problem at all.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bongva
i have HIDs in my camaro and never had a problem with cops or anything... bmw mercedes lexus and other high end cars come stock with HIDs, they would have to get those cars as well
You missed the entire thread.... go back and read
Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Technically, any ECE rated headlight is illegal in the US since they do not meet DOT standards.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it. (oops!)
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
By now I figured somebody would of designed a hid friendly projector in a 'sealed beam' housing, giving a stock'ish look and ease of install. i'd jump on it if they existed.
I hear ya, I want HIDs but "to do it right" with projectors is ugly as sin with the headlights up. Us Firebird guys are kind of screwed with our stock sealed beams. Anything other then a rectangle headlight is hidious. A little round projector stuck in a big rectangle hole looks like ****. End of story.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
moral of the story, get projectors kids.
Not so fast. Technically, a projector setup in a car that didn't have HID projectors from the factory is also illegal. If it looks gerryrigged on an Fbody that's gonna throw a red flag to any officer who knows anything about lightning codes.

Also I do find the pics of HID's in reflector housings projected against a wall quite interesting. They have the exact same lighting pattern as stock halogen bulbs in stock headlights-hot spots and all. The difference is the amount of light output.

Last edited by wannafbody; 02-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about HIDS, worried about fines