Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Thinking about HIDS, worried about fines

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about HIDS, worried about fines

So yeah, I called Susquehanna Motorsports today and talked to real cool guy who seemed to know what he was talking about. I was calling him about ordering a set of Bosch headlamps for my lowbeams, and I told him I was buying them for HID's. Well he told me a bunch of stuff regarding HID's and how not worth it they really are. He told me you can get a huge *** fine and you'd have to get your car towed home if you got caught; he also told me they were cracking down on cars with HID's this year. He also told me about the Bosch headlamps, and how those aren't really legal either. They are made for European cars and thats it, but he said it's not really a big deal. He also said using the Bosch headlamps alone would make the light brighter and crisper. I originally wanted to go the HID route with 6000k bulbs, but this steered me away.

I just want some white lights, is that so hard? So he told me they have bulbs that will work good with the Bosch headlamps to simulate white light, so I guess I'll just end up going that route. Just a FYI post for those who want to go HID's.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never heard of this? they make YOU safer at night but everyone else is blind.....so its not that hard to believe.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

You don't need to worry about getting any fines
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
never heard of this? they make YOU safer at night but everyone else is blind.....so its not that hard to believe.
HID Kit's in non-projector housings do not benefit you at all. It looks like ****, doesn't help visability and blinds the hell out of other people and can get you pulled.

HID with projector retrofit's however are an awesome upgrade and defin worth the time and effort.
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always wondered about this. I know in the morning on my way to work it's still dark & newer cars with HID make me squint when they are comming toward me while normal headlights don't bother me.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
yeah well I figured it wasn't a big deal since most cars nowadays come with them stock.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The person you talked to sounds like a idiot. Im not sure how many people ive talked to who have told me that as well but most cops don't bother you if you dont those purple xenon 12000k bulbs in or whatever they are. Alot of cars have hids anymore even ones who never had them before but ask yourself.. would you listen to someone who told you something like "YOU COULD GET IN ALOTA TROUBLE AND BE TOWED HOME FOR HAVING YOUR WINDOWS TINTED" I mean seriously man.. You have tint, no cats, a cutout so its nice and loud. Why bother to listen to someone whos telling you that when most cops will say themselves they don't care much about small **** like hids lol
Old 10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like you talked to this retard:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=16
Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, driving down roads that have woods on either side and having blinding lights are dangerous, especially with deer, you cant see the ****** and runs out in front of you because some jackass thinks he is cool with super bright cut-through-walls-with-my-headlights that, like stated above, dont do **** unless you have projectors.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

I have 8000k HID's in mine, no projectors and they 100% DO improve visibility and have a benefit. Mine are angled way down and I have never been flashed by anyone that they are too bright, and I live in the middle of town.

That being said, however if it's foggy you can tell there isn't really a cut off, they just kind of fade out, where projectors have a distinct cutoff and beam pattern. If you're just looking for a white light, get 6000k HID's, you shouldn't have any problem w/those.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I have 8000k HID's in mine, no projectors and they 100% DO improve visibility and have a benefit. Mine are angled way down and I have never been flashed by anyone that they are too bright, and I live in the middle of town.

That being said, however if it's foggy you can tell there isn't really a cut off, they just kind of fade out, where projectors have a distinct cutoff and beam pattern. If you're just looking for a white light, get 6000k HID's, you shouldn't have any problem w/those.

pics???
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Non-retrofit HIDs

This is mine btw and I haven't been pulled over yet. I agree the light does scatter w/ non projector HIDs however I haven't got any complaints from the law yet.

Its not too bad in this pic...

And yes, they do improve visibility at night 100%.

Last edited by bene; 10-20-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
So yeah, I called Susquehanna Motorsports today and talked to real cool guy who seemed to know what he was talking about. I was calling him about ordering a set of Bosch headlamps for my lowbeams, and I told him I was buying them for HID's. Well he told me a bunch of stuff regarding HID's and how not worth it they really are. He told me you can get a huge *** fine and you'd have to get your car towed home if you got caught; he also told me they were cracking down on cars with HID's this year. He also told me about the Bosch headlamps, and how those aren't really legal either. They are made for European cars and thats it, but he said it's not really a big deal. He also said using the Bosch headlamps alone would make the light brighter and crisper. I originally wanted to go the HID route with 6000k bulbs, but this steered me away.

I just want some white lights, is that so hard? So he told me they have bulbs that will work good with the Bosch headlamps to simulate white light, so I guess I'll just end up going that route. Just a FYI post for those who want to go HID's.
so wait. Bosch makes seal beams? or are you talking about a normal halogen for a aftermarket reflector housing?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

those guys at rallylights.com have cool products and ****, offer a lot of products from hella that you can only get from there. But I've talked to those guys before and they are all tools. They will try and lecture about how to mod your car and so on. Tell you that it's a ridiculous amount of money in fines just for putting HIDs in your car, but in reality unless you really **** a LEO off they won't even bother. I've got plenty of friends and family that are LEOs and they say that is the least of their worries.

Honestly the way they act has turned me away from their business and I have purchased elsewhere even tho it cost me a few extra $. Don't tell me how I can use a product I just purchased from you. I understand it's a legal issue, but don't lecture me.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
those guys at rallylights.com have cool products and ****, offer a lot of products from hella that you can only get from there. But I've talked to those guys before and they are all tools. They will try and lecture about how to mod your car and so on. Tell you that it's a ridiculous amount of money in fines just for putting HIDs in your car, but in reality unless you really **** a LEO off they won't even bother. I've got plenty of friends and family that are LEOs and they say that is the least of their worries.

Honestly the way they act has turned me away from their business and I have purchased elsewhere even tho it cost me a few extra $. Don't tell me how I can use a product I just purchased from you. I understand it's a legal issue, but don't lecture me.
True, I just plan on buying some projectors from rallylights cheap, then buying the ballasts and bulbs cheap off ebay, do the rest myself.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I find HIDs in proper projectors in oncoming traffic are easier to see past than standard halogen in reflectors. The worst is HIDs in reflector housings.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i been driving with my HID's for a while and havn't been pulled over... and mine are kinda purpleish/blueish... they are bright as **** but almost all the new cars have them now, cops don't trip here in Cali
Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

I dont really think you have anything to worry about. I've had them in my Regal for some time now and haven't had any problems or anyone flashing me. You will be fine. It is one of the best investments I have ever made.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People don't flash because they're afraid of retaliation, not because they don't want to. For a good while here in AZ, it was a gang initiation deal to drive around with the headlights off, then pursue and shoot the first person who was courteous enough to flash the driver to remind them about their headlights.

As for those saying that all the new cars have them... very good! Most do, but they are all in proper housings. Some become out of alignment and need to be corrected, just like regular headlights. Hell, my g/f has a new Camry and the projector headlights on it are AMAZING. Bottom line here is that HIDs do NOT belong in any housing other than what they were designed for because of the risks involved. The scatter is insane and even if you DO aim them down, it's still ridiculous. If you're going to do something, don't half-*** it... do it correctly.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
People don't flash because they're afraid of retaliation, not because they don't want to. For a good while here in AZ, it was a gang initiation deal to drive around with the headlights off, then pursue and shoot the first person who was courteous enough to flash the driver to remind them about their headlights.

As for those saying that all the new cars have them... very good! Most do, but they are all in proper housings. Some become out of alignment and need to be corrected, just like regular headlights. Hell, my g/f has a new Camry and the projector headlights on it are AMAZING. Bottom line here is that HIDs do NOT belong in any housing other than what they were designed for because of the risks involved. The scatter is insane and even if you DO aim them down, it's still ridiculous. If you're going to do something, don't half-*** it... do it correctly.
No. Mine are aimed down and do not blind, I've asked dozens of people and they are a non issue. In addition 99% of the cars on the road sit higher than mine, that coupled with the fact my headlights are angled down does not constitute a safety hazard.

Clear out your PM box when you get a chance so we can all PM you and ask you what we're allowed to buy with our own money.

Quick Reply: Thinking about HIDS, worried about fines