Originally Posted by WS.666
What is a "PC"?
PorterCable.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
PorterCable.
Buffer? Cause PorterCable is a company, right?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.666
Buffer? Cause PorterCable is a company, right?
It is a random orbital buffer.

I am sure Tropi-Care sells them.
PorterCable is the brand name.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

i use the pc and megs 4 step (swirl remover, 2 polishes, and wax/sealant)
Old 10-30-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

heres before:

one of the first products i used in the four step:

the outcome (not perfect, but much better):

I had to fill in a chip in my paint (upper half of the door)and wet sand, can u tell where?:
Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

long story short you wont ever be fully able to get rid of every single swirl mark you see in the reflection of the direct sun in the clear coat of your car. a professional detailer like feldt or a tropicare vendor can do a great job and get rid of them, but unless you have patience (which i guess you dont since steve @ tropicare has made nearly a dozen threads on how to deal with spider cracks and swirl marks) its not going to happen
Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Prin
Get you some Meguiars #80. Use it with the PC on 5. Then put some NXT on it to protect:

Prin:

Nice recovery with your detail process.

When you look at the "before" picture, you can see both deeper scratches circling around the sun's reflection and lighter hologram style scratches along the driver's side. The lighter scratches look like they may have been inflicted during some previous high speed rotary buffing. These are true swirl marks. The deeper scratches are pretty typical that happen during the routine washing and drying process using inferior materials of techiques.

When you working on harder clear coats such as the Vette, other F-bodies, and cerami-clear surfaces, it is going to take some patience and experience to get these type of corrections with the Porter Cable and foam pad/product combos.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
heres before:

one of the first products i used in the four step:

the outcome (not perfect, but much better):

I had to fill in a chip in my paint (upper half of the door)and wet sand, can u tell where?:
Sir, can I interest you in a new orange pad?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

I've got patience lol, but Imma pick up some Meguiars this after noon. Steve, if I dont have luck with this then ill be in touch with you over the phone more than likely and get what I need ordered!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
Sir, can I interest you in a new orange pad?
LOL, i was thinking the same myself, but damn good job on the polishing.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
long story short you wont ever be fully able to get rid of every single swirl mark you see in the reflection of the direct sun in the clear coat of your car. a professional detailer like feldt or a tropicare vendor can do a great job and get rid of them, but unless you have patience (which i guess you dont since steve @ tropicare has made nearly a dozen threads on how to deal with spider cracks and swirl marks) its not going to happen
It is true that I have posted a number of threads of my detailing experiences for others to read and test in their own practical applications. The best way to learn from how to achieve these results is by turning on the buffing machine and experiencing its capabilites. It is very safe, user friendly and extremely difficult to inflict serious damage on the surface. For the seasoned detailer, it is possible to remove vitually all fine lines and blemishes from the surface. You just won't see those cars on the street.

For the individual owner, a Porter Cable buffer is an excellent and economical way to restore and refine the surface to "like new or better" condition. It does take patience and understanding when using the different foam buffing pads and product combinations.

At our local Monday GTG, I was asked to look at 3 different f-bodies in the parking lot this week. They ranged from a near pristine example of a red Firehawk to a mystic teal Z and finally a heavily marred '98 back TA. All 3 had the potential to improve the surface appearance based upon the owner's desire. For the Firehawk owner, some very fine lines could be easily removed with the Porter Cable buffer. Even though the owner was hesitant at the thought of using the machine for removal, I assured him it was necessary to achieve the flawless finish he wanted. On the Z, mild-moderate scratches from routine washing and drying would dictate the need for a slightly more involved correction process. For the '98 TA, it would provide an excellent tutorial project as I get many inquiries about this color/blemish combination. I look at these examples as a challenge to educate those who wish to achieve results for themselves.

One final thought:

Porter Cable buffer/pad assortment: about $160
Menzerna "Super Intensive Polish" for removing stubborn scratches on harder clear coats: about $40
One good buffing session with your PC: several hours
Achieving satisfactory results on your own: priceless
Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

I'll be in touch sometime about getting the Menzerna.

Although, is it all from overseas?? Detailing friend has told me there is two of the same Menzerna's. One from the states and one from overseas.
Sorry...not up on the product line Menzerna offers.

I need to be, stuff is top of the line.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Meguiars #9 is a pretty light compound to use to remove swirls. Now it's perfect for buffer trails, but I would think you need to step up to #80 then finish up with #9 and then polish. Hope this works for you.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
I'll be in touch sometime about getting the Menzerna.

Although, is it all from overseas?? Detailing friend has told me there is two of the same Menzerna's. One from the states and one from overseas.
Sorry...not up on the product line Menzerna offers.

I need to be, stuff is top of the line.
The Menzerna line is manufactured in Germany. I believe the 2 versions you may be refering to are the IP and SIP. The IP(Intensive Polish) is rated for use to remove 2000 grit and finer scratches from the surface. The SIP(Super Intensive Polish) contains a greater concentrate of abrasives that is also rated to remove the same scratches but it was formulated for use on harder clear coats such as the Mercedes cerami-clears made after 2003.

Both of these polishes list instructions for rotary use but I have used both of them with the DA. On darker colors, some micro-marring may occur with the DA but is easily corrected with a softer foam pad and lighter polish.

PowerGloss Compound will remove 1000-1500 grit scratches using a wool or foam compounding pad.

List prices:

IP about $26/Qt.
SIP about $40/Qt.
Power Gloss about $28/Qt.

We have code "10offTC" for use on orders over $50.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

On darker colors, some micro-marring may occur with the DA but is easily corrected with a softer foam pad and lighter polish.
Thanks for the info!

Micro-marring doesn't concern me, I still have 3 steps after the Menzerna or Prima Swirl. I own Swirl, but it seems (I hope I don't have this backwards) to work better on softer clears.
It seems to haze (easily cleaned up though) pretty good on the F-Body paint.
Works GREAT though also.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
long story short you wont ever be fully able to get rid of every single swirl mark you see in the reflection of the direct sun in the clear coat of your car.
All swirl marks are able to be fully removed if you know what you're doing. It is very possible to achieve a mirror finish with no swirling. You will need at the very least Menzerna SIP on GM clear, if not moving on to Meguiar's #105 with a yellow compounding pad and work your way up to PO85rd (menzerna's finishing/jeweling polish).
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Prin:

Nice recovery with your detail process.

When you look at the "before" picture, you can see both deeper scratches circling around the sun's reflection and lighter hologram style scratches along the driver's side. The lighter scratches look like they may have been inflicted during some previous high speed rotary buffing. These are true swirl marks. The deeper scratches are pretty typical that happen during the routine washing and drying process using inferior materials of techiques.

When you working on harder clear coats such as the Vette, other F-bodies, and cerami-clear surfaces, it is going to take some patience and experience to get these type of corrections with the Porter Cable and foam pad/product combos.

So are you saying that I didnt do a good process? And dont take that wrong. I am merely just asking. I am up for all of the advice that I can get. It looks pretty good to me. You should see it in person. There are no swirls in it at all.

Last edited by Prin; 10-30-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Originally Posted by Prin
So are you saying that I didnt do a good process. It looks pretty good to me. You should see it in person. There are no swirls in it at all.
I think it was a compliment.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I edited my post. I was asking a question. Thats all.

Quick Reply: Damn Swirls!!!