Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmawd350
could you jack the car up and put the jackstands on the rear end and front suspension to keep the suspension loaded?
i wanna know the same thing,my car is currently parked like this and will be till april or may,is this bad for the suspension?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Thanks for the nice words..

And I usually do not pull my car out of the garage till mid April or even May bc Chicago's weather sux
+1 gotta love midwest winters lol
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

NEVER WASH A CAR WITH DAWN NEVER NEVER NEVER you do more damage than you do good to the car. Use a high quality car wash soap. Dawn kills clear coat. Just a word for the wise.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFox69
NEVER WASH A CAR WITH DAWN NEVER NEVER NEVER you do more damage than you do good to the car. Use a high quality car wash soap. Dawn kills clear coat. Just a word for the wise.
Show me where it says that Dawn kills the clear coat.... With that being said I haven't used Dawn on my since like 2007....
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was actually going to bump my thread today as today was the last day for my car.. She's all put away for 7 months
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is still in 100,000 pieces.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Captain Double Post

i cant wait to move out of ohio, im sick of these winters up here, mark my words i will be in the south in the next few years, i have tried to put my car away twice now, both times i have given in and kept it out lol, but we have had some really nice weather lately , nov 1st in when it goes away for good, i usally try and take tons of pics and vids so i have something to watch over winter for when i start to miss my car, hey it helps those are hard times lol
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Show me where it says that Dawn kills the clear coat.... With that being said I haven't used Dawn on my since like 2007....
I can show you a whole fleet of service trucks of my fathers company and show you the ones that have been washed in dawn and the ones that have been washed with mcguiars. I can also introduce you to the man who helped me get my painting certification through out votech who did an entire weeks worth of teaching on proper washing and paint care.

Just my .02 though, you can take it how you like.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can show you a whole fleet of service trucks of my fathers company and show you the ones that have been washed in dawn and the ones that have been washed with mcguiars. I can also introduce you to the man who helped me get my painting certification through out votech who did an entire weeks worth of teaching on proper washing and paint care.

Ok that's great... Now were said trucks that were washed with Dawn soap, were they then waxed and sealed? Dawn takes off old wax to prep the paint surface for new wax. I got money that said trucks were never re-waxed.

I'm not even going to touch the McGuiars, that soap doesn't remove wax.... What I mean is that McGuiars is a good soap bc it doesn't remove wax. I use their gold class shampoo
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Well I guess I will be the official poster for this topic Maybe just maybe this can be a sticky??

Here is the process that I took for storing the Trans Am. I will be as detailed as possible

- Fill the gas tank ALL THE WAY UP, and add a bottle of Sta-bil or Seafoam to it.
- Do an oil/filter change like you normally do, as well as fuel filter change. I am sure none of you changed it all year, now is the perfect time.
- Wash the motor. This is merely for your own sake of knowing that you have a clean motor under the cover. Also a clean motor is happy motor
- Obviously dry the motor, take it for a nice drive for A) to get rid of any standing water and B) this is the last drive of the year
- Wash the car with Dawn dish soap. Yes this will take OFF ANY WAX on the car
- Dry the car. I prefer to use a leaf blower and a microfiber towel
- Clay bar the car. This is designed specifically for above surface bonded contaminants, such as tree sap mist, industrial fallout, over-spray, road dirt/grime and road tar.
- Re wash the car again
- Dry the car again
- Wax the car with a wax of your choice; this is a no brainier step. Do what you normally do here!
- After your done with the Exterior, now for the Interior. Detail the interior. Clean the dash, clean ALL glass, and vacuum every inch of the car.
- This step is where I clean my wheels/tires. Wash the tires to get rid of any tire shine. Then I dry the rims, and polish them. I would not add tire shine when putting the car away for winter.
- Go over the car again to see if there is any water dripping from the rear taillights, under the mirrors etc, etc
- Air the tires up to 45 PSI, this will help stop flats spots being created for sitting in a particular spot for a long period of time.
- DO NOT JACK THE CAR UP! It is not good for the suspension, leave it on the gorund!
- Go over the car again, just spot-check everything.
- Don't forget the Damp Rid from Home Depot. This product takes any moisture out of the air inside the car. it fits perfectly in the cup holder of the center console.
- Stuff towels in your tail pipes and e-cut out. You do not want any critters making that their home
- At this point either A) disconnect your battery and take it in for storage or B) hook up a battery tender to it.
- Time to cover your baby up for a long cold 6 months. At this point kiss the car and say good night

This is all that I can think of for right now. If you guys have anything else to add or feel what I described is wrong let me know. And as for starting and driving the car, that is up to you. if you do that, you need to get the car all the way up to operating temps and drive it for a good 20 miles. This way you will burn up any condensation that is in the lines.
I'm just curious. Doing all this, do you start her up during these cold Chicago winters?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

You guys would hate Alabama... It might be hot, but not in the good way; the humidity makes the summers feel like 120 degrees, hurricane seasons keep springs and falls wet, and the winters are usually in the 30's and wet and snowy (however, not cold to me by any means, as I come from Siberia where average winter temps. are -50). All that being said, my car sees a plethora of weather conditions year-round.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

A little off topic, but what would you do with factory prestine leather seats that have been pulled out? Will they stay good wrapped in plastic and in a carboard box, or do they need to breathe?

Chris
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by unSStoppable
I use these wheel dollies to prevent flat spots.
And the wheel dollies:

Thats odd, when I got to Northern tool, they show these under the category, but when you get to the listings for wheel dollies, they no longer have these, but it looks like amazon has the same ones? I'd like the same ones for my 315's...

http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Perfor.../dp/B003BZQRH6

Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wing Zer0
I'm just curious. Doing all this, do you start her up during these cold Chicago winters?
Nope.... Car sits till April/May every year.. I already pulled my battery.. I'm done for the season
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
A little off topic, but what would you do with factory prestine leather seats that have been pulled out? Will they stay good wrapped in plastic and in a carboard box, or do they need to breathe?

Chris
I'm like 99% certain that leather needs to breathe??????
Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Whoa dude relax. Dawn is fine to use on a car. The worst it does is drys out the rubber and trim a little bit if you use it a lot. I don't know where you heard this from but detailers have been doing it for decades to remove wax from the car. I've used it many times and never ruined anyones clearcoat.
The clearcoat is probably ruined because maybe the person never put any wax on the car and it sat in the sun all the time.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
Whoa dude relax. Dawn is fine to use on a car. The worst it does is drys out the rubber and trim a little bit if you use it a lot. I don't know where you heard this from but detailers have been doing it for decades to remove wax from the car. I've used it many times and never ruined anyones clearcoat.
The clearcoat is probably ruined because maybe the person never put any wax on the car and it sat in the sun all the time.

Exactly what I said on post #49!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you needed to change ur oil when you bring it out in the spring no matter what? If you don't I will do it this way so it is all ready in spring.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually going to bump my thread today as today was the last day for my car.. She's all put away for 7 months
I dont understand why people store so early when the wheather is just cool outside. My 02 firehawk has 21000 miles and I dont put my car away till it begins to snow, I put about 600 miles a year and enjoy it every minute I can. I remember driving my hawk last haloween thru some november wheather was still nice no salt or snow. There are some great tips here for storing your car over the winter. Im also in Chicago and these LS1's enjoy the cool air this time of year.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not your certification, but even zainobros.com specifically mentions Dawn by name to wash the car to strip the old wax before rewax/claybar. I'm gonna take the experts word.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Quick Reply: Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough