Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough

Well I guess I will be the official poster for this topic Maybe just maybe this can be a sticky??

Here is the process that I took for storing the Trans Am. I will be as detailed as possible

- Fill the gas tank ALL THE WAY UP, and add a bottle of Sta-bil or Seafoam to it.
- Do an oil/filter change like you normally do, as well as fuel filter change. I am sure none of you changed it all year, now is the perfect time.
- Wash the motor. This is merely for your own sake of knowing that you have a clean motor under the cover. Also a clean motor is happy motor
- Obviously dry the motor, take it for a nice drive for A) to get rid of any standing water and B) this is the last drive of the year
- Wash the car with Dawn dish soap. Yes this will take OFF ANY WAX on the car
- Dry the car. I prefer to use a leaf blower and a microfiber towel
- Clay bar the car. This is designed specifically for above surface bonded contaminants, such as tree sap mist, industrial fallout, over-spray, road dirt/grime and road tar.
- Re wash the car again
- Dry the car again
- Wax the car with a wax of your choice; this is a no brainier step. Do what you normally do here!
- After your done with the Exterior, now for the Interior. Detail the interior. Clean the dash, clean ALL glass, and vacuum every inch of the car.
- This step is where I clean my wheels/tires. Wash the tires to get rid of any tire shine. Then I dry the rims, and polish them. I would not add tire shine when putting the car away for winter.
- Go over the car again to see if there is any water dripping from the rear taillights, under the mirrors etc, etc
- Air the tires up to 45 PSI, this will help stop flats spots being created for sitting in a particular spot for a long period of time.
- DO NOT JACK THE CAR UP! It is not good for the suspension, leave it on the gorund!
- Go over the car again, just spot-check everything.
- Don't forget the Damp Rid from Home Depot. This product takes any moisture out of the air inside the car. it fits perfectly in the cup holder of the center console.
- Stuff towels in your tail pipes and e-cut out. You do not want any critters making that their home
- At this point either A) disconnect your battery and take it in for storage or B) hook up a battery tender to it.
- Time to cover your baby up for a long cold 6 months. At this point kiss the car and say good night

This is all that I can think of for right now. If you guys have anything else to add or feel what I described is wrong let me know. And as for starting and driving the car, that is up to you. if you do that, you need to get the car all the way up to operating temps and drive it for a good 20 miles. This way you will burn up any condensation that is in the lines.

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 10-11-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up, might be a good idea to gease any suspension items that are greasable, and if you have the ability it might not hurt to degrease and powerwash the under carraige so any grease thats under there doesnt have several months to get hard and dry.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I'll add it to the Hall of Fame.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I'll add it to the Hall of Fame.
Thanks for adding it Russ

thanks for the thread change
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
nice write up, might be a good idea to gease any suspension items that are greasable, and if you have the ability it might not hurt to degrease and powerwash the under carraige so any grease thats under there doesnt have several months to get hard and dry.
I forgot to add that. I did spray my under carriage pretty good.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're going to clay the car, you don't need to use Dawn. Use a car wash soap and a claybar. It's easier on your clearcoat in the long run.

-Mike
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
If you're going to clay the car, you don't need to use Dawn. Use a car wash soap and a claybar. It's easier on your clearcoat in the long run
Yep no reason to use dawn. Can cause more harm then good.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
If you're going to clay the car, you don't need to use Dawn. Use a car wash soap and a claybar. It's easier on your clearcoat in the long run.

-Mike
from what others have told me dawn is safe on the clear coat, and als claybar leaves a little residue behind
Old 11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Good write up. I agree with it all cept i dont stuff my tail pipes, i just put my cover over it, I put some dryer sheets in the engine bay to help keep critters out too, and I use these wheel dollies to prevent flat spots. Pics:

Tailpipes covered by cover:

And the wheel dollies:

Im gonna miss her, but it keeps the miles down!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

My car cover, covers my tailpipes jsut like yours does, but i put them in jsut in case.

Never really thought about the dryer sheets in the engine bay.

Also i would like to get the wheel dollies. Where did you get them from.
I just put my stock rims/tires back on, the tires are pretty bald so i dont care about flat spots
Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Good info. Do you feel dollies prevent flat spots and are they good for the suspension?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy I bought my SS from would crack the windows 1 inch and grease the window seals and leave the windows cracked for the winter (yes it was in a temp controlled garage). Good write up, Perhaps fuel stabilizer (ex. STABIL)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Swang
The guy I bought my SS from would crack the windows 1 inch and grease the window seals and leave the windows cracked for the winter (yes it was in a temp controlled garage). Good write up, Perhaps fuel stabilizer (ex. STABIL)
Very first line of my preparation

- Fill the gas tank ALL THE WAY UP, and add a bottle of Sta-bil to it.

my garage is not temp control
Old 11-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sux for you guys that have to do this... i for one don't... i get to drive my baby all year long with sometimes the t-tops off during the winter since it isn't that cold out here in CALI!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
that sux for you guys that have to do this... i for one don't... i get to drive my baby all year long with sometimes the t-tops off during the winter since it isn't that cold out here in CALI!!!
you bastard!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to do this tomorrow
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

TORCHD 02 TA My car cover, covers my tailpipes jsut like yours does, but i put them in jsut in case.

Never really thought about the dryer sheets in the engine bay.

Also i would like to get the wheel dollies. Where did you get them from.
I just put my stock rims/tires back on, the tires are pretty bald so i dont care about flat spots
The dollies are from Northern Tool, I like them cuz they are wide enough to fit my 315s

Detoxx03 Good info. Do you feel dollies prevent flat spots and are they good for the suspension?
The ones in my pic prevent flat spots because they are rounded, it fits the curvature of the tire therefore preventing flat spots. They are good for the suspension too because it keeps the cars load on the susi.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

[/QUOTE]The ones in my pic prevent flat spots because they are rounded, it fits the curvature of the tire therefore preventing flat spots. They are good for the suspension too because it keeps the cars load on the susi.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good write up, any pics of this damp rid? is it really worth doing, never heard of doing it.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Thats what I do, except mine get worse every year because I usually do a nice long burnout or two before my good rims/tires get put back on the car.

Good list btw.

Quick Reply: Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough