Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by naperws6
I dont understand why people store so early when the wheather is just cool outside. My 02 firehawk has 21000 miles and I dont put my car away till it begins to snow, I put about 600 miles a year and enjoy it every minute I can. I remember driving my hawk last haloween thru some november wheather was still nice no salt or snow. There are some great tips here for storing your car over the winter. Im also in Chicago and these LS1's enjoy the cool air this time of year.
My car is also away for the winter, I just gotta disconnect the battery and throw the Stabil in. My issue with putting it away now is that it gets its regular wash before it gets put away. If it's snowing or about to snow that means it's pretty cold and I'm not standing outside putting my hands in a bucket of water when it's probably 30* outside. Have you tried washing a car when the water freezes before you can dry it off? Not fun.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^haha
Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
My car is also away for the winter, I just gotta disconnect the battery and throw the Stabil in. My issue with putting it away now is that it gets its regular wash before it gets put away. If it's snowing or about to snow that means it's pretty cold and I'm not standing outside putting my hands in a bucket of water when it's probably 30* outside. Have you tried washing a car when the water freezes before you can dry it off? Not fun.

I havent washed my firehawk in 3 years its not my daily driver. I wake up and go to the weather channel and make sure its not going to rain or snow before I take the fbody out. Why not drive the car till the weather is crappy out? im sure u guys have other transportation since ur storing your fbodys. Here is what I use my paint is glossy and shiney.

http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-auto-wash.html

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
^^^haha
these products work miracles

http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-carnauba-spritz.html

http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-acrylic-detail-spray.html

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-final-fi...ail-spray.html
Old 10-17-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by naperws6
I havent washed my firehawk in 3 years its not my daily driver.
And therein lies our difference. Mine isn't my DD either, but I still take it out every nice day I can....which means a lot more than 600 miles a year. If I only drove my car 600 miles a year, I wouldn't have to wash it as often either. I'm sure those products work great when you have your car out for 100 miles a month. I take mine for trips longer than 100 miles.

Different strokes for different folks. 600 miles a year would kill me, I love driving my car when it's nice out every chance I get.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 AM
9 Second Club

This guy Jonas...We never got our race off, why? You scared or might I say scuured?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Captain Double Post

i have worked at detail shops before and they always used dawn before any detailing started, i use it here and there and never had any issues with the paint on my car whatsoever
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

And therein lies our difference. Mine isn't my DD either, but I still take it out every nice day I can....which means a lot more than 600 miles a year. If I only drove my car 600 miles a year, I wouldn't have to wash it as often either. I'm sure those products work great when you have your car out for 100 miles a month. I take mine for trips longer than 100 miles.

Different strokes for different folks. 600 miles a year would kill me, I love driving my car when it's nice out every chance I get.
600 miles a year is because i also own a 93 fox mustang and drive that also. My company demo is a 2012 ford SHO or stang 5.0 vert in the summers so its tough to pick a 2012 or a 2002. tough decisions I hear what your saying if I drove a junk for a daily and kept my fbody in the garage then that would be wrong.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup exactly my point.. I do it now while the weather is still reasonable outside.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ta-stanger
I thought you needed to change ur oil when you bring it out in the spring no matter what? If you don't I will do it this way so it is all ready in spring.
Yes, I change my oil in the spring time after storage!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
This guy Jonas...We never got our race off, why? You scared or might I say scuured?
Hahaha Ken.. I saw you mods on your motor... I es a skurred
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

This is why don't store my cars so early, beautiful weather in Chicago yesterday and today. I'm sure we will have nice weather in November also, I took my firehawk for a ride this morning and taking the fox for a ride later. I'm going to enjoy the weather and my ride.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Launching!

If your car is already cleaned and waxed regularly, there's no point in stripping it and applying new wax if you're just going to store it.

Also, I think unless it's due, changing the oil and then putting in in storage is also a waste of time, especially if it's going to accumulate moisture over the cold winter. You'll need to change it in the spring time anyways, so just do it then unless you like wasting money and time.

If I was going to garage store a car over the winter, I would just fill the tank with gas, add a bottle of stability, put a cover on it to keep dust off and that's probably all.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cranny
If your car is already cleaned and waxed regularly, there's no point in stripping it and applying new wax if you're just going to store it.

Also, I think unless it's due, changing the oil and then putting in in storage is also a waste of time, especially if it's going to accumulate moisture over the cold winter. You'll need to change it in the spring time anyways, so just do it then unless you like wasting money and time.

If I was going to garage store a car over the winter, I would just fill the tank with gas, add a bottle of stability, put a cover on it to keep dust off and that's probably all.
Actaully that is all I do... The last 3 seasons, since I do bot DD my car and has wasx on it alreasdy is wash it and detail it. Then I put sefoam in the gas tank and change the oil next spring
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Hahaha Ken.. I saw you mods on your motor... I es a skurred
Lol...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

so should I change my oil before storage and then again when I pull it out in the spring?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
so should I change my oil before storage and then again when I pull it out in the spring?
There's no need to put fresh oil in it just to let it sit, with no use. Just change it in the spring.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
Change it right before you put it away for storage. No need to change it again in the spring though.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MI-Z/28
Change it right before you put it away for storage. No need to change it again in the spring though.
Why? That's exactly the opposite of what I do. What's your reasoning?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Dirty oil with contamination sitting in the motor

- water
- Acids and/or alkalies
- alcohol
- Carbon
- gasoline
- any metals, etc.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Launching!

This...

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Dirty oil with contamination sitting in the motor

- water
- Acids and/or alkalies
- alcohol
- Carbon
- gasoline
- any metals, etc.

Quick Reply: Storing The Car For Winter - Preparation Walkthrough