Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

UPDATE: Targa roof is close to production...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like this idea, and have money to do it. But, Im worried about loss of strength,

I have an 8pt weld in roll bar.. and SFCs but im still a little worried.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
I really like this idea, and have money to do it. But, Im worried about loss of strength,

as long as you dont cut the t top bar and make your TA into a full targa there will be no loss of strength
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
So the final design has the channle down the middle of the top? ehh....
if so, that doesnt really flow at all with the camaro or ta's.
Look at the pics on my forums on my site, not only did it flow with them (especially my friend's WS6) but it completely updated the look and made it look wrong when we put the t-tops back on.

To me, a t-top design that is basically the same since the 70's (t-tops go into a big ugly bracket instead of a channel in the roof) doesn't flow
Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Since you guys pulled that stock roof panel are you going to use that as the base for the mold? Basically, glass around it or something? I have a wrecked 2000 Camaro in my driveway under a car cover that I am going to attempt this on. If it doesn't work out I didn't lose anything, but if it does I am going to transfer it over to my 95.
Yeah, that's all you need to do. Cut the roof off, trim it to fit a t-top car, finish it then if you want to add a design to it go for it (fiberglass is best).

HOWEVER, DO NOT try to use that piece as a targa top. It will rip right off. Use it to make a mold and then make a targa piece out of a few layers of CF...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

No reason to worry. Chris (Whistler) did this to his car back in the day. All he had was SFC's and had no chassis flex...

Windshield is fine as well. The a-pillars for it are the same as the convertible a-pillars. He has a 300lbs friend sit on his windshield and checked for movement with a micrometer, none.

Again, just to update the look of your car you do NOT have to cut the center bar out to use this...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
as long as you dont cut the t top bar and make your TA into a full targa there will be no loss of strength
If I do this, I'd definitely be cutting out that bar. I'm not worried about crash strength. I'm just thinking about everday strength. Is the windshield gonna sag. Seems like it would. What about the rest of the car. Will my cage add enough strength? If I do a wheelie. When I come down is my car gonna fold in half? ...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

If I do this, I'd definitely be cutting out that bar. I'm not worried about crash strength. I'm just thinking about everday strength. Is the windshield gonna sag. Seems like it would. What about the rest of the car. Will my cage add enough strength? If I do a wheelie. When I come down is my car gonna fold in half? ...
Windshield definitely will not sag on you. Again, same a-pillars as convertible and even if you're worried they are somehow different Chris' car was targa'd and YEARS went by and no sag (he checked with a micrometer again).

Wheelies and coming down? That's anyone's guess as you never know what will break when doing that...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

When are pictures coming out of it on vehicles all painted and done? I'm curious to see this yo
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fccs
When are pictures coming out of it on vehicles all painted and done? I'm curious to see this yo
It is second in line (first was the 2010 spoiler which is 99% done) so hopefully soon.

Once he starts on it I'm figuring AT LEAST a few weeks to get it into plug state, then I have to mold it and produce first piece so basically I'm shooting for the holidays (Turkey Day) to be done with this one...
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What will this weigh in comparison to the t tops?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01sscam
What will this weigh in comparison to the t tops?
No clue yet, definitely lighter...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I second the windshield not sagging. The only way it'll sag is if you roll the car or get into an accident involving the A-pillar. The A-pillars are very strong. I have a Camaro that was rolled and it was a bitch to push the one bent a-pillar back up even with a good Craftsman floor jack.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Windshield definitely will not sag on you. Again, same a-pillars as convertible and even if you're worried they are somehow different Chris' car was targa'd and YEARS went by and no sag (he checked with a micrometer again).

Wheelies and coming down? That's anyone's guess as you never know what will break when doing that...
well im probably going pick one of these off of mark when he gets them done, and hopefully by that time ill have my 8 point cage in,
so i guess my car could be the guinea pig on how it will effect the with hard launches
btw mark how does it lock in place? just like the ttops do??
im sure if it does, you could probably add some extra carbon fiber in that area to keep the car stiff when its in place(for us guys who like to beat on their cars)

and well only an idiot would be launching his car with it off
Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

It is second in line (first was the 2010 spoiler which is 99% done) so hopefully soon.

Once he starts on it I'm figuring AT LEAST a few weeks to get it into plug state, then I have to mold it and produce first piece so basically I'm shooting for the holidays (Turkey Day) to be done with this one...
Dont you have a plug already made from the last one or did that go bad? also Im curious as to why a "few" layers of carbon fiber would be better then fiberglass for this? I know CF is stronger against impacts etc but how it is heavier? I thought it was lighter!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
Dont you have a plug already made from the last one or did that go bad? also Im curious as to why a "few" layers of carbon fiber would be better then fiberglass for this? I know CF is stronger against impacts etc but how it is heavier? I thought it was lighter!
I was never able to get the original back from the the last guy unfortunately so I finally gave up and am starting over...

CF is lighter... Not sure where that was miscommunicated that it wasn't.

We're using CF instead of fiberglass FOR its strength. Being that there will be no center attacment point (and there is a low pressure zone there) we need it as strong as possible so that it can be held on by just the sides.

Luckily, I was around with Chris (Whistler) did all the testing on his and we have a starting point, CF.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think carbon fiber t-tops would be sweet also. for race purpuse
Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

It'd be sick if you can make a CF or CF wrapped aluminum piece for the sail panel, I'd grab both these in a heartbeat if you did.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

I was never able to get the original back from the the last guy unfortunately so I finally gave up and am starting over...

CF is lighter... Not sure where that was miscommunicated that it wasn't.

We're using CF instead of fiberglass FOR its strength. Being that there will be no center attacment point (and there is a low pressure zone there) we need it as strong as possible so that it can be held on by just the sides.

Luckily, I was around with Chris (Whistler) did all the testing on his and we have a starting point, CF.
I ment CF was lighter then fiberglass. I know this. I just didnt know really how this would be best. But I can see where you are coming from now! But it deff sucks that you couldnt get the last plug back...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Where are the pics of this on a ws6? I checked your forum and missed it there as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Where are the pics of this on a ws6? I checked your forum and missed it there as well.
its still in pre production, there arent pics of it on a camaro yet. im going to try to be the first WS6 with one on though.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Targa roof is close to production...