Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to maintain a car that sits outside?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to maintain a car that sits outside?

so unfortunately my T/A has to sit outside year round. during the summer i wax it atleast once ever 1.5-2 months and wash it probably every 3 days, yes i know im a little OCD about it. well this is my first winter owning the car, the hose is frozen and i try not to drive the car as much as possible (havent driven it in 2 weeks) so im wondering how should i maintain the car while it sits outside? my dad is trying to put his vette in storage, however he wont move it unless the roads are completely dry, and until then my car sits outside. should i put a cover on it? should i just leave it? i have no idea...
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

as long as you've got wax on it, it should be fine. Just make sure to hose it off if you drive through salt or salty water. It eats metal. Otherwise don't worry about it. I wash mine at most once a week year round and it is still cleaner than 99.99% of anything on the road! You don't really need a cover but I have to admit, after a fresh detail, they make the cleanness last longer. In the winter just keep the salt off and you'll be fine, even if you don't wash it for 2 or 3 months!

When spring rolls around you'll want to give it a good wash/clay bar/wax and you'll be set.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

when i stored my lt1 outside in the winter i kept a cover on it and thats pretty much it. as for being outside in the summer i just left the cover off and would wash it whenever it was sunny, wax it once a week, seal it once a month etc etc. i finally got smart and just bought a carport with sides on it to keep most of the water away. its bout 200-300 for a good one but well worth it.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

wax, wax, and more wax!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
as long as you've got wax on it, it should be fine. Just make sure to hose it off if you drive through salt or salty water. It eats metal. Otherwise don't worry about it. I wash mine at most once a week year round and it is still cleaner than 99.99% of anything on the road! You don't really need a cover but I have to admit, after a fresh detail, they make the cleanness last longer. In the winter just keep the salt off and you'll be fine, even if you don't wash it for 2 or 3 months!

When spring rolls around you'll want to give it a good wash/clay bar/wax and you'll be set.
hose is frozen... i tried taking a bucket of hot water out and washing it... only to have the water on the car freeze before i dried it off . i cant put a carport on bc of neighborhood regulations and bs, im thinking im going to take it to a car wash on a good day, put a cloth cover and then a vinyl cover on top of that.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've gotta turn off the water supply and drain the hose. then bring it in for the winter. you only hook it back up to wash the car. that way, it can't freeze. after you wash it, turn off the water supply and drain the hose again, and store it.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

i would start the car and let it warm up once-three times a week
Old 12-25-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

that is some pretty bs regulations lone be hold naperville to do something like that. wheaton probablly would to. idiots. for next year ill have a few storage spots open so if you need it let me know. if you want id get like a noah cover or something to put on it next year.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
that is some pretty bs regulations lone be hold naperville to do something like that. wheaton probablly would to. idiots. for next year ill have a few storage spots open so if you need it let me know. if you want id get like a noah cover or something to put on it next year.
yea i had my 86 fiero sitting outside while we were waiting to transport it down to where we store it, it was sitting outside for maybe 3 weeks and we got a nasty gram in our mail saying we would be fined if we didnt move it... its my frigen driveway!!! ive gotten **** from them for anything tho, riding my dirtbike through the neighborhood, cars being to loud, ect.

on a different note its going to be in the mid 40's on friday and saturday, im going to try to wash it then and get a good cover on it, fast94z what part of wheaton are you at? i work up there
Old 12-25-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
i would start the car and let it warm up once-three times a week
I do NOT recommend this unless you're going to be driving the car long enough to reach full operating temperatures. It's actually worse for your engine to do so.

As long as you keep a fresh coat of wax/sealant on the finish and wash as possible, you'll be fine.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
yea i had my 86 fiero sitting outside while we were waiting to transport it down to where we store it, it was sitting outside for maybe 3 weeks and we got a nasty gram in our mail saying we would be fined if we didnt move it... its my frigen driveway!!! ive gotten **** from them for anything tho, riding my dirtbike through the neighborhood, cars being to loud, ect.

on a different note its going to be in the mid 40's on friday and saturday, im going to try to wash it then and get a good cover on it, fast94z what part of wheaton are you at? i work up there
move, your neighbors are a holes, or they are jealous
Old 12-25-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
hose is frozen... i tried taking a bucket of hot water out and washing it... only to have the water on the car freeze before i dried it off . i cant put a carport on bc of neighborhood regulations and bs, im thinking im going to take it to a car wash on a good day, put a cloth cover and then a vinyl cover on top of that.
yea, obviously if its freezing outside just wait... I've tried drying a freezing car before too and it sucks to be wiping ice around. do like I do and get weather bug on your computer and check it to see what the weather is like. I'll only wash mine if the high temp is at least 45*. I am in tennessee and I've noticed the best and (warmest) times of day are between 1-3pm. So just pay attention to the way it is where you are and you should be fine. good luck
Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

im in the same situation as you, its supposed to be 50 degrees here tomorrow, so hopefully i can get some wax on my car... I want to get a cover, but have heard they leave little scratches all over the paint. Also, is there a wax that is better for harsh conditions ? Right now i use meguires 2.0.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

im in carol stream but im out in the downtown area of wheaton and naperville a lot with my buddies.

Quick Reply: how to maintain a car that sits outside?