Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Better grip for better handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008 | 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Counted Out
We all understand, but it's just the answer seems to be pretty obvious. Steering wheels were not made to be spun around with the palm of a hand, they are meant to be held.

If you can't hold the wheel, make U-Turns with two hands.
I've had no problems in all the other cars I've driven. The camaro has a pretty bald and slick steering wheel. All I want to know is if there is a wheel cover with any type of material that would provide better grip.

Never mind, ill figure it out myself.
Old 12-27-2008 | 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fordeater
no, I think this is 2nd to the guy who wanted to know how much his paint job weighed on his camaro.
Yea, funny. If you cant help, dont say anything.
Old 12-28-2008 | 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fordeater
no, i think this is 2nd to the guy who wanted to know how much his paint job weighed on his camaro.
LOL WHAT?!!? OP, try going to advance auto parts or something similar and look for one of those steering wheel covers, they have a crapload. I had one on my last Camaro and it made the wheel "thicker" and it felt real nice.
Old 12-28-2008 | 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

I just have a pair of Vise Grips clamped onto the steering column. They work alright I guess
Old 12-29-2008 | 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove a base 01 firebird with the regular spongy steering wheel and it didn't feel right compared to my 99 formula which has the factory leather wrapped version. It does make a difference.

Has anyone actually weighed their paint job anyways?
Old 12-29-2008 | 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I experienced the same problem. After my '96 got totalled I found my '02 Z28 steering wheel considerably thinner thus requiring more effort to grip the wheel causing cramps. As mentioned before a quick trip to walmart and 10 bucks later the wheel cover made all the difference in the world. Eventually I plan on having a very small amount of padding put in and re-skinning the wheel in microfiber.
Old 12-29-2008 | 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

x894892....I haven't had problems one-handed driving either, but a question though, Do you Armor All your wheel? That would be a possible cause and a problem. If not, I agree with the guys that said to get a leather lace-up/wrap style cover. A spinner **** would help too, but wouldn't get you any style points unless your car is painted John Deer Green...although Camaros and mullets go together so I suppose if you have one of those then a spinner **** would look right in place in your Z28. Good luck in whatever you do! As we say in the Marines "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!"

Swat

P.S. Sometimes...er...USUALLY "Improvise" doesn't get you style points..
Old 12-30-2008 | 02:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Swiat34
x894892....I haven't had problems one-handed driving either, but a question though, Do you Armor All your wheel? That would be a possible cause and a problem. If not, I agree with the guys that said to get a leather lace-up/wrap style cover. A spinner **** would help too, but wouldn't get you any style points unless your car is painted John Deer Green...although Camaros and mullets go together so I suppose if you have one of those then a spinner **** would look right in place in your Z28. Good luck in whatever you do! As we say in the Marines "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!"

Swat

P.S. Sometimes...er...USUALLY "Improvise" doesn't get you style points..
haha, no a spinner **** wouldn't even be for consideration. I have never had a problem spinning the wheel in any other car ive driven. Although, the person who sold the car to me did use some type of treatment for the dash to make it shinier, and possibly used the same stuff for the steering wheel. Ill see how it goes after a couple weeks after it rubs off.

Thanks guys
Old 12-30-2008 | 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just food for thought. F-bodys are considered performance cars. They usually have tighter more precise steering as well as wider tires than say...a honda. So the other cars that you'd putz around in like a honda, or a buick, or a S10 truck....whatever...will feel lighter and easier to steer. They have heavier power steering set ups to make cruising around easier and they generally have skinnier tires than a sports car.

Even the thirdgens are this way. HOWEVER...I never had a problem using the palm of my hand to spin any wheel on any car. My first car was a 67 Bonneville...no material at all on the wheel. Smooth as glass and about as skinny as my ring finger. That thing was over 4 turns lock to lock, so I had to palm steer it frequently. No issues. It also had "super power steering" along with "super power brakes"...so again, its meant for cruising.

A steering wheel cover might help you out...but thats a pretty obvious fix. The wheel must really be slicked up if you are having issues... Best bet is to just try a wheel cover from walmart. They have no hassle no questions asked return policies. So if you dont like it...take it back. Or if you get one, and decide a cover is the answer, but want a nicer one, take it back.

J.

Quick Reply: Better grip for better handling