Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Lots of questions of HID's in fogs lately, well, here ya go

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
What brand HID's did you go with? I'm assuming you got the entire package with the wire harness for each of the bulb sets? How cluttered is it around your lights with all those converter boxes and wires? That was my big concern when looking into getting these.. I was looking at these kits - http://www.xenoneyes.com/index.html
I ordered mine from a seller named zgperformance on ebay, and there is an ls1tech sponsor that sells some good kits from what I've heard.

Its not too cluttered, the headlight ballasts tuck nicely next to the washer fluid reservoir, and I have the foglight ones down lower in the engine bay out of the way.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Heres a shot of the cutoff line with the fogs for those that wanted them

Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

That looks pretty good.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks good, but needs adjustment. Height and rotation.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
Looks good, but needs adjustment. Height and rotation.
Yea I know... I was curious though, how do I adjust the stock foglights? I've never looked to closely at it to know
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by jdroelle001
Yea I know... I was curious though, how do I adjust the stock foglights? I've never looked to closely at it to know
I don't know on the Camaro, but on the Firebird there is a height adjustment screw above the fog light housing. Unfortunately that doesn't fix the rotation. You'll probably have to bend the mount or elongate a mounting hole.

Also, double check the way the bulb is sitting in the driver-side fog light. It looks like it might not be seated completely. See how the passenger-side produces a more uniform beam?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I don't know on the Camaro, but on the Firebird there is a height adjustment screw above the fog light housing. Unfortunately that doesn't fix the rotation. You'll probably have to bend the mount or elongate a mounting hole.

Also, double check the way the bulb is sitting in the driver-side fog light. It looks like it might not be seated completely. See how the passenger-side produces a more uniform beam?
Alright I'll check out adjusting them and see what I can do.

I noticed that the drivers side looks wierd too in the beam pattern picture. I think its the projector because everythings in properly. I double checked the bulbs when I put everything in. I'll check it again just because its bugging me but I think I'll have to blame the projector.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I'll check it again just because its bugging me but I think I'll have to blame the projector.
Also check bulb rotation. The return wire should be at the 6 o'clock position.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Also check bulb rotation. The return wire should be at the 6 o'clock position.
Theres only 3 tabs that lock the bulb in so it should only go in one way and turn one way. Well, at least thats how it worked out for me. Both bulbs went in and then turned 90 degree clockwise to lock in, they wouldn't go any other way.

Edit: Yea, my bulb wires are at 12 and 6 and the tabs all locked in correctly

Last edited by jdroelle001; 02-25-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Edit: Yea, my bulb wires are at 12 and 6 and the tabs all locked in correctly
The driver's side is at 12 o'clock? Then its upside down and that's why the output looks the way it does.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

My buddy had a Z28 and he had Whistler headlights with HIDs and HIDs in the Fogs also and let me tell you, They look amazing. I wanted that setup bad
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

The driver's side is at 12 o'clock? Then its upside down and that's why the output looks the way it does.
No I guess what I meant was that the bulbs are correctly seated and the wires are at the 12 and 6 positions, but I'm not sure that it isn't backwards. I'll check that tomorrow. Hopefully thats all it is because its definitally bugging me, I really want to have a clean beam pattern.

Also how high should the cutoff be? That wall that I took the picture up against is only about 4 feet tall to give you a height perspective as of now. Once I figure out the bulb issue I'll take another picture with a popcan against the wall or something to better show the height.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

point them as high as you can without affecting the light from the bumper. you wont be blinding many people, the foglights are pretty much the lowest thing on the car
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

No I guess what I meant was that the bulbs are correctly seated and the wires are at the 12 and 6 positions, but I'm not sure that it isn't backwards.
The return wire that I mentioned earlier is the single ceramic coated wire that is parallel to the glass tube of the bulb and connects from the top of the bulb to the base (not red/black wires at the back of the bulb). When the bulb is mounted in the housing, that return wire should be at the 6 o'clock position. It will be hidden by the cut-off shield. If its in the wrong position it will produce a shadow in the beam.

Also how high should the cutoff be? That wall that I took the picture up against is only about 4 feet tall to give you a height perspective as of now. Once I figure out the bulb issue I'll take another picture with a popcan against the wall or something to better show the height.
I'm not sure about the height. I'd say just make them parallel to the ground. Measure the height of the housings and make the height of the beam on the wall match. I guess slightly higher may be OK since they are so low to the ground. The height of the driver-side appears to just over a foot off the ground which may be alright. How high is the housing off the ground? I honestly don't know the max height allowed for fog lights. I've seen pictures with fog lights aimed at the height of your driver-side and also some pictures aimed at the height of your passenger-side.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

The return wire that I mentioned earlier is the single ceramic coated wire that is parallel to the glass tube of the bulb and connects from the top of the bulb to the base (not red/black wires at the back of the bulb). When the bulb is mounted in the housing, that return wire should be at the 6 o'clock position. It will be hidden by the cut-off shield. If its in the wrong position it will produce a shadow in the beam.

I'm not sure about the height. I'd say just make them parallel to the ground. Measure the height of the housings and make the height of the beam on the wall match. I guess slightly higher may be OK since they are so low to the ground. The height of the driver-side appears to just over a foot off the ground which may be alright. How high is the housing off the ground? I honestly don't know the max height allowed for fog lights. I've seen pictures with fog lights aimed at the height of your driver-side and also some pictures aimed at the height of your passenger-side.
Well its raining here today so after my class I'll pull into the parking garage on campus and check it out. Thanks for all the help with this!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Got out there today to check it out. I'm almost 100% sure that the ceramic coated wire is the wrong way, however I can't put the bulb in any other way. The bulb only locks into the housing the way it is, so I guess its just the way the bulb was made?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Got out there today to check it out. I'm almost 100% sure that the ceramic coated wire is the wrong way, however I can't put the bulb in any other way. The bulb only locks into the housing the way it is, so I guess its just the way the bulb was made?
If the bulb only locks in with the return wire facing up, then it was made incorrectly or the housing was made incorrectly... one or the other. Compare the two bulbs and the two housings to check for differences.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

In addition to height adjustment, you can probably aim them a bit wider too.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

I got H3 bulbs for mine. Did I buy the completely wrong set or what? There is no way the two notches will ever fit into the required three for the Camaro housing. Help!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
I got H3 bulbs for mine. Did I buy the completely wrong set or what? There is no way the two notches will ever fit into the required three for the Camaro housing. Help!
Yes you bought the wrong set. The Camaro's stock fog lights are 881.

Technically 880,881,893,894 all fit into the same housing and plug into the same connector. The only difference is the angle of the connector and the wattage.
880 --- 27.5 Watt, straight connector
881 --- 27.5 Watt, right-angle connector (Stock Camaro fog light bulb)
893 --- 35 Watt, straight connector
894 --- 35 Watt, right-angle connector

Quick Reply: Lots of questions of HID's in fogs lately, well, here ya go