Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

The Spoiler Company issues continued... Need help guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default The Spoiler Company issues continued... Need help guys

Hey guys, as some of you know. Last week I posted pictures of my SS spoiler that I got from thespoilercompany. The pictures showed the spoiler VERY tweaked. It fit horribly. So I contacted the company and they sent me a new, painted one. Got it today and out of the box everything looked to be in good shape. Paint was so-so but what can you expect for $50? I set it up on the deck lid and everything looked to be MUCH better than the previous time.... That is until I bolted it down. The four threaded holes on the outsides of the spoiler don't line up and it positions the spoiler towards the rear of the car opening up the gap on the two wings of the spoiler furthest forward (towards the front of the car). You can see this from the pictures... Ugh...

I'm not sure why everyone else is having awesome luck with these spoilers and I am having terrible luck. Anyways, I think I might be able to work with this one if I can somehow seal up the existing holes and drill and tap new ones. This should line the hood up where I want it to be.

So my question is, is there something I can use to fill/harden in the existing holes and make my own to mount the spoiler down?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the pictures..

Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe there's something wrong with your hatch? Hard to believe you would get a bad one twice, sucks. Mine fit perfectly.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by carwatcher
Maybe there's something wrong with your hatch? Hard to believe you would get a bad one twice, sucks. Mine fit perfectly.
Doubt it. The other one had a great gap on the front wings and all of the threaded holes lined up perfectly when forced down. It was just tweaked. This one is the opposite.

Like I said before though, I can make this one work. I just need to make my own holes.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recently got mine, and it seemed to line up right but I didn't try to bolt it down. The only complaint I have is it seems slightly short horizontally.

I wish I could help you more, but hopefully someone will chime in with some good info.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

looks like the holes aren't that far off why don't your just drill the hatch out a 1/4 and be done with it?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Magnet
looks like the holes aren't that far off why don't your just drill the hatch out a 1/4 and be done with it?
Well I was going to do that... until I realized that it is sitting too far forward. I want to shorten up the gaps on the front's of each side where they mate up to the front of the decklid next to the hatch window.

What's weird is when it's not bolted up or anything and you just set the spoiler into place it sits damn near perfect. I like the way it sits. It's just like the holes are drilled slightly off from where they need to be.

I'm just wanting to know if there is something that I can fill the existing holes with like an epoxy or something and then re-drill and tap new holes?

Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it would still be easier to make holes in your hatch to match the spoiler than to make new threaded wholes in the spoiler. that area is covered with the plastics anyways so its not a big deal to drill a whole in it. It would be difficult to make new threaded wholes..
Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with everyone else on just elongating the holes in the hatch.

You could use a two part epoxy to fill in the old holes, but it depends on what the spoiler is made out of to whether you can drill and tap it for a bolt. If it is fiberglass you would have to fill it in with epoxy or fiberglass resin and let it harden. Then you will have to use a riv-nut or something like that for a new location.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Alright, thanks guys, I'll figure it out.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try the body work section of this site. There are alot of body work guys that never leave that section, they should be able to help.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Definitely elongate the holes, use a nice large washer to cover the entire new opening, goop on some clear silicone on either side of the hole and enjoy.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

**** drilling your hatch man. Call the company back, send them the pics and make them send you a good one. Its not your fault that you paid good money and they've sent you two garbage spoilers.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
**** drilling your hatch man. Call the company back, send them the pics and make them send you a good one. Its not your fault that you paid good money and they've sent you two garbage spoilers.
This was my thoughts on it. I'm not really cool with drilling into this car. It's in PERFECT shape, only 17k miles on it and I'm keeping all the stock parts so that I can swap back to 100% bone stock if I want to. So many F cars these days just get hacked all up and I know that elongating the holes is HARDLY hacking up the car but I bought this spoiler with the intentions that everyone on here has been raving about it them saying that they fit better than OEM and it's just a simple bolt on and go. If this is how they fit, I'll just spend the extra $$ and go OEM.

I'm not at all angry here, I'm not even really frustrated, I just want something that fits just as well as OEM. That's all. I hacked into my last F car that I had and wish I had never done it. So I won't be doing it with this one.

Also, I found this comparo picture. This picture was taken from the this thread... https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...t-not-oem.html

I am comparing the way that the lines square up as opposed to the one I just received... Not even close. You can tell that mine has a very rounded line which does not at all fit the body line of the hatch and his fit's perfect.

His:

Mine:

It seems that the quality control of this company is pretty well fucked...

But that's just my experience thus far...

The more I look at this spoiler the more unacceptable it becomes. It's more than just the fact that the holes don't line up. That's not a huge deal to me. I could swing with that and still make it work. But you can't make up for fucked up lines like this one has.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

third times a charm....
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Definetly send it back.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sommer86
third times a charm....
Lol yeah but Christ man... three times?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Iceman can
Definetly send it back.
I will be. I've already contacted the seller. I just hope they take it back. It was enough of a hassle to get them to replace it the first time.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any after market piece is the same in my opinion, there is always room for improvement, yours does not look bad at all , you dont have any groves or valleys in the spoiler like others mentioned with other companies, just line it up where you want it and dremel the hatch a little for clearance and use a nice washer, u should be good to go..those holes will never be seen even if you go back to oem,
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by davidadavila
any after market piece is the same in my opinion, there is always room for improvement, yours does not look bad at all , you dont have any groves or valleys in the spoiler like others mentioned with other companies, just line it up where you want it and dremel the hatch a little for clearance and use a nice washer, u should be good to go..those holes will never be seen even if you go back to oem,
I agree with part of it, I don't mind adjusting the holes a little bit, I can work with the holes not lining up.

What I cannot deal with is how shitty the lines look. Like I said before, if that's the way these are going to fit and line up I'll spend the extra $$ and go OEM. Easy as that. If you compare mine with the black Camaro it's not even close. His is exactly how it should look and line up and evidently it's from the same company... WTF?

Terrible quality control.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think it looks too bad and what can you expect for what $250 or so painted and shipped? If you want better quality then you probably will need to pay more $$$ and get it from GM. I think it's a bargain for what they sell them for.

Quick Reply: The Spoiler Company issues continued... Need help guys