Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How could this of happened to my paint? All out Detail

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was going to say it was the turtle compound, and it looks like others agree. i get great results with megs, usually doing it by hand.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

you will never get the results you desire by hand. You just cant mimic the movements of the buffer. It'll take some time but you Can fix it... with the right equipment.
And no Meguiar's shouldnt have to put a warning about soft paint on the bottles, thats soemthing that should be already known. (or you can buy a little guage that tells you exactly how soft the paint is, and go from there.

Also, definately look at your towels. they could VERY well be contributing as well

Good Luck!

Last edited by PhantomR/T; 03-17-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let me ask you a question. What did you use to take the compounds off? I just went thru the same thing that you did and I noticed something. The "high quality " terry cloth towels i used to use to wax my car by hand with were actually leaving scratches in the clear. The reason i found this out was because I got all the scratches out with the portercable.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt3383
Let me ask you a question. What did you use to take the compounds off? I just went thru the same thing that you did and I noticed something. The "high quality " terry cloth towels i used to use to wax my car by hand with were actually leaving scratches in the clear. The reason i found this out was because I got all the scratches out with the portercable.
I've had this problem as well. It sucks.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Launching!

I am going to agree with most of people in the thread and say it was the Turtle Wax - Polishing Compound. I used this by hand on the hood of my black sonoma and then put a nice polish and wax on top....yes it was smooth, but I had scratches everywhere and light hazing. With this stuff you really have to work it....and work it some more to get "decent" results, however with you steps you took after the compound, I would have skipped this step and a few others you listed. ( I also trashed the turtle wax)
The way I got it off and really brought back the shine was starting over.
Wash the car and clay it again.
Then come back with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and spend some time on a 2x2 section just working it in....be sure to not let it dry before wiping off.
Then follow with Meguirs NXT and let it cure/sit on the car for atleast 30 mins before removing....I am sure you will like the results.
I have since bought the PC and have done quite a few cars with it. It definately is a good investement and cuts the time down on detailing a vehicle.
Hope this helps...oh yeah, check out the truck in my sig. for results from a Porter Cable.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

There's no blame to placed on the products, IMO. Even if they aren't really choice products. Honestly, your process and procedure is to blame.

Two choices - learn how to do it properly and do it yourself, or find a quality detailer and pay them. There are several top notch detailers in Florida (and I wouldn't expect it to be anything cheap...$300++).
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright guys I really appreciate the manner in which you are all responding....Im actually recieiving help instead of criticisms (seems like most people like to simply criticize instead of help on this site)

Anyways I really thank you all, and I guess Ill have to tackle her again next weekend with a pc and some new products/pads.

Are you guys pretty sure that there is no need for a wetsand and buff?

I do have a nice camera, and Ill try and take pictures, but Im unsure as to whether or not the damage that Im seeing, will come through in the pics....so ill try.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

If you can get a Porter Cable, use Meguiar's #105 and an orange pad. Set the PC at 4 and work it in. Buff by hand. That should remove all of the scratches and swirls. Then use your favorite carnauba wax to protect.

Look around on http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.php

Last edited by Silverado_13; 03-17-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
alright guys I really appreciate the manner in which you are all responding....Im actually recieiving help instead of criticisms (seems like most people like to simply criticize instead of help on this site)

Anyways I really thank you all, and I guess Ill have to tackle her again next weekend with a pc and some new products/pads.

Are you guys pretty sure that there is no need for a wetsand and buff?

I do have a nice camera, and Ill try and take pictures, but Im unsure as to whether or not the damage that Im seeing, will come through in the pics....so ill try.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!
don't wetsand the car if you don't have to... it would take days to do the whole car and do it right. Get a buffer, some fresh pads, and just use the 3 step meguiars - cleaner, polish, and wax and you will get some great results. baby diapers (the cloth kind) work well for taking the wax off and don't leave lint behind.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

im in boca raton fl
Old 03-17-2009, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah start with a PC and Menzerna Intensive polish or some Meguiars (i'm not familiar with Meguiars so I can't recommend anything). Start with a white or an orange pad and work it in nice, buff it off with a MICROFIBER cloth. Don't use those "High Quality Terry" pieces of crap because their not high quality, their, well.. Crap. After that go down a step in pads and do it again. Don't wetsand unless it turns up as your last resort, but I still don't think you should wetsand.

If you need help you can ask Steve from Tropi Care, he's the expert
Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
Washed with Turtle wax Ice soap
Clay Bar First
did you claybar before you washed? or wash/claybar/wash? that might be part of your problem too...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my car. I used a clay bar first, Meguiars cleaner wax and NXT for shine. The cleaner wax was appied by hand, and the NXT i applied with a buffer...

Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Torchd, did you paint the mirrors and sail panel black? Looks good.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Hey Torchd, did you paint the mirrors and sail panel black? Looks good.
Yup it has been like that going on 2 yrs now
Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 AM

I hate to sound rude but it seems like you might have rushed through this and didnt have the right tools for the job. You should really get a buffer and use it man. All youre doing when you do this by hand is polishing the scratches on the car..lol.

Think of your car as your face. If you have a blemish (zit) on your face and you grow a little beard (5oclock shadow), the zit isnt REALLY noticed. Now shave clean, scrub your face with some face products (sorry, cant think of any "face products"..lol) and then take a look. That zit stands out now that your face is all pretty huh? There is nothing wrong with the products you used at all, just the time and tools used to apply them. You just polished up your "car zits" at the end of the day..lol. I wish you luck with getting it all taken care of though, nothing worse than spending hours trying to clean that paint and then having to look at those scratches.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Detailing is really frustrating to me, Ive yet to really figure it out. I've followed the advice of people on here and detailing forums and have yet to correct my paint. I may very well not know enough and that might be your problem also, my car is disgusting though. Every time I see my paint I want to sell my car and now there is some road paint under the doors and there was a ton in the wheel wheels, but I got most of that off with clay. I am at the point where I may just pay someone to do it because my paint is pretty bad.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The TW polishing compound is made for removing damage with a buffer. The most aggressive stuff you want to use by hand is Meg's ScratchX. If you have a PC, use the Menzerna SIP it is awesome stuff. You probably PUT the swirls into your paint with the TW polishing compound.

BTW, GM paint is notoriously hard, not soft.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Are the Caddy's clear coats soft or like ours? I think if it's softer he may wanna use just the Intensive right?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
DRT
Teching In

I can almost guarantee it was the tw polish compound. (Please tell me you didnt use the polishing compound in the little plastic tin) I do a bit of car detailing myself and personally think most turtle wax products are crap. If you are doing things by hand, get some scratch-x or some of the new swirl-x and work on tiny sections at a time as mentioned above. When you are finished coat it with a nice wax. I personally am a nxt fan (actually a meguiars fan in general)

Quick Reply: How could this of happened to my paint? All out Detail